"I NEED MONEY FOR RENT"

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

"I NEED MONEY FOR RENT"

Post by Jun »

Well, I finally had a lad asking for help with his rent on Grindr.

Allegedly, he's sent his money home to his family (who are in a country directly north of Thailand). However, his Instagram feed shows him nightclubbing a couple of nights ago, so not much saving for the rent there.

Naturally, I have declined and said he needs to get a bank account and learn how to budget. "Help" in the form of advice will probably have fallen on deaf ears.

I've seen him, perhaps 5 times in the last year.
I presume NO is the correct answer in these circumstances.

Anyhow, had I caved in, the max loan would have been one standard tip, which would not cover the rent on its own. The slightly optimistic scenario is that he repays with services next time I am in town.
I presume the recovery rate on such loans is dismal?

He also says he's tried and failed opening a Thai bank account. I know of one other lad from the same country who has a Thai account.
gerefan

Re: "I NEED MONEY FOR RENT"

Post by gerefan »

There is no such thing as a “loan” to a Thai boy!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:43 pm There is no such thing as a “loan” to a Thai boy!
I agree. If a Thai boy ever paid back a loan that came from a farang, even partially, that was an extremely rare occurrence. If anyone reading this ever provides a loan to a Thai boy, including his family - especially his family - and expects to ever see so much as 1 baht of it paid back, the best I can tell you is - dream on.

This is an appropriate moment to be reminded of the phrase, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

When I was fairly new to Thailand and still naive about how things happen here, the father of the boyfriend I had at the time came to me and asked for a 20,000 baht loan for his farm. He promised he would pay it back in a month. You do the math - that was over 300 months ago. Three guesses if I was ever paid back any of it. By the way, a few years later, that's when I found out he never had a farm. I suppose I was lucky he didn't ask for more than that 20,000 baht. A fool and his money were definitely parted . . .

To put it succinctly, "loan" means "give".
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

The lad is asking for help with his rent on Grindr from you and from many other people and trying his luck eventually he will find some fools that will agree to loan him money that will never ever be paid back :lol:
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:59 pm To put it succinctly, "loan" means "give".
I agree - in Thai English "Loan me" - Translated to English English "give me".
Jun

Post by Jun »

Well, thankfully I have an aversion to loaning out money. In fact, the only times I have ever lent money, is when out with very good friends, which they repay as soon as we pass an ATM. Naturally without ever needing reminding.
I don't provide banking services.

Had I taken leave of my senses and advanced the money to this lad, it would have been on the understanding he shows up at my hotel room to repay the debt with services next time I am in Bangkok.
I think I've seen him about 5 times in the last year and he has every chance of seeing me several times in the next 12 months.
Now hypothetically, there's no way I would write off a debt and continue to hire him, so he would need to repay with discounted or zero cost services.
However, presumably a fair proportion of the lads would be so short sighted that they would be more likely to lose a repeat customer than repay a debt ?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun, I suspect you like fem gay boys a la Winner so don’t be surprised if the jungle drums don’t sound out that you are a no good cheep Falang and those type of “boys” will begin to give you a wide berth.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:00 pm Jun, I suspect you like fem gay boys a la Winner so don’t be surprised if the jungle drums don’t sound out that you are a no good cheep Falange and those type of “boys” will begin to give you a wide berth.
Maybe you're right, but on the other hand I'm tipping in the middle of the range according to the recent Pattaya tips poll. Also, many of the lads I off are contacting me asking for another off. I don't recall any declining another meet.

Are you recommending that in addition to providing competitive tips, I should also dispense various other soft loans and gifts ? Do you provide credit to boys upon request ? I'm not reading about other board members doing that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:18 pm Maybe you're right
No he isn't. And since he's made it abundantly clear as often as he can that he doesn't take fem boys off, how would he know? The only times I've ever seen boys spread the word that a particular farang is a cheapskate have been when the farang tries to get away with giving a cheapskate tip. I've never heard of boys spreading the word that a farang won't give them a 'loan'.

In any case, I wouldn't care if they spread that kind of word or not. I wouldn't mind even if they did spread that kind of word. Good! Now the boys would know not to even try to come to me for a 'loan'. Let them turn their efforts toward trying to con some other farang.

I've had a few times when one of my 'regulars', sometimes a boy I've seen fairly often for a year or two and frequently contacts me asking to come over, feels familiar enough with me to finally come to me and ask for that 'loan'. When they don't get it, surprise surprise - for some strange reason they don't contact me anymore . . .

Maybe I'm jaded, but I foolishly let myself get conned out of 20,000 baht once. I'm not about to let that happen a second time. I think about the poster on another topic who is so sexually attracted to a boy that he seems prepared to do just about anything not to lose him. Not me. While I hate to lose a young gent I've grown fond of and highly attracted to, I'll wave bye-bye anyway if red lights start appearing. I've been around here long enough to know it won't take long to find someone else just as appealing or even more so.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:52 pm No he isn't. And since he's made it abundantly clear as often as he can that he doesn't take fem boys off, how would he know?
The thought had crossed my mind too. Perhaps there will be a full explanation for the cryptic "advice" provided earlier, along with a precise explanation about how Undaunted deals with such financial requests.

I would also be delighted if rumours spread about it being a complete waste of time asking me for "loans".