Thailand moves closer to US currency watchlist

Anything and everything about Thailand
ISAC69

Thailand moves closer to US currency watchlist

Post by ISAC69 »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18312 ... -watchlist

If we all wandered why the Baht is so strong, well the US treasury suspects the Thai government is manipulating their own currency.
Gaybutton

Re: Thailand moves closer to US currency watchlist

Post by Gaybutton »

ISAC69 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:59 am If we all wandered why the Baht is so strong, well the US treasury suspects the Thai government is manipulating their own currency.
Manipulating the baht to keep it so strong? If so, I don't understand why Thailand would do that. The strong baht seems to be more detrimental to Thailand than advantageous to Thailand. The news I see on English language Thai media keeps reporting that Thailand is trying to weaken, not strengthen, the baht.

What is really going on and why?
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Bangkok Post article did not appear to mention which way Thailand is manipulating the currency in this article. However, they have been trying to prevent further strengthening.
That would be the US complaint, as with such a strong Thai trade surplus, the currency would be expected to eventually strengthen further to correct that.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:28 am Manipulating the baht to keep it so strong? If so, I don't understand why Thailand would do that.
Logic and Thai thinking don't go hand in hand...

I suspect that what the Thai government declaring one thing (trying to weaken the Baht) but actually doing the opposite.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ISAC69 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:39 pm I suspect that what the Thai government declaring one thing (trying to weaken the Baht) but actually doing the opposite.
Then I have to repeat my question - why? In what way would that benefit the Thai government?