Pattaya faces water shortages in 2020

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya faces water shortages in 2020

Post by Gaybutton »

Pattaya faces water shortages next year

October 31, 2019

Pattaya is likely to experience water shortages next year as levels in five major reservoirs in Chon Buri have dropped sharply to only around 32% of capacity.

The Provincial Waterworks Authority's ( PWA) branch in Pattaya is preparing to pipe raw water from the PWA-run Nong Palai water production facility in Rayong to the coastal city, buy some more from a private water supplier and reduce tap water supplies to householders, office manager Suthat Nutpan said on Wednesday.

At present, there is less than 13 million cubic metres of water in the five reservoirs, compared with 36.7 million cu/m last year.

This will lead to drought in Pattaya if there are no storms next month, Mr Suthat said, adding the situation will be more severe than the water shortage in 2015.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -next-year
Jun

Re: Pattaya faces water shortages in 2020

Post by Jun »

The chances of this situation being rescued in November appear slim. Perhaps some investment in water capacity is needed.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If this water shortage happens, it won't be only Pattaya. They're saying this might be the worst water shortage since 2015. Since 2015? That tells me since 2015 they've had time to prepare for the inevitable next water shortage, but apparently have done little or nothing - and my guess is nothing. I don't recall seeing much of anything proactive to deal with potential serious problems. As far as I can tell, most of the time it's wait and see and just hope nothing happens.

I'm not happy with the idea of having to go through trying to flag down water trucks and paying high prices again, especially since the problem could have been prevented.

22 provinces to be hit with water shortage from November 1

October 30, 2019

According to a report from the Office of Natural Water Resources, Thailand will enter the dry season on November 1, deputy government spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek said on Tuesday (October 29).

“Up to 22 provinces will be hit by water shortage, seven of which are in the North, 10 in the Northeast, one in the East and four in the South. This water shortage is expected to affect 717,000 people,” she said.

She also said that areas near the Krasiao Reservoir, Thap Salao Dam, Ubol Ratana Dam, Lam Nang Rong Reservoir and Chulabhorn Dam will be short on water for irrigation. These dams and reservoirs cover eight provinces, namely Suphan Buri, Uthai Thani, Khon Kaen, Roi Et, Maha Sarakham, Kalasin, Buri Ram and Chaiyaphum.

“The prime minister is calling on related authorities to come up with plans to reserve water and seek new sources by digging wells and dredging canals,” she said. “He has also urged farmers to keep updated with information released by related authorities.”

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377903
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thailand seems quite content to pour way more concrete than needed for road and rail schemes.
I don't quite understand the reluctance to invest in water provision.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:40 pm I don't quite understand the reluctance to invest in water provision.
I guess it's easier to hope for rain than to hope for concrete . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Now we're being assured Pattaya does have enough water to last until rainy season. I hope that's right.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Chonburi Governor reassures residents that Pattaya and Chonburi has enough water to last to the rainy season

By Adam Judd

January 6, 2020

The Chonburi Governor told the associated Pattaya Press today that Chonburi has enough water supplies to last until at least the end of June, including for the Songkran Festival which is important for tourism for the area.

Bang Lamung residents have complained to the media, including The Pattaya News, on a developing water crisis as the Sak Nok Heng reservoir water level hit critically low levels this week. Additionally, videos of the Mapprachan Lake at severely low levels have gone viral on Pattaya social media groups and forums.

Read more about the previous story HERE:

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/01/02/b ... t-sets-in/

However, the Chonburi Governor Pakkhathorn Teanchai has ordered local administration organisations to make sure that residents were provided enough water.

The Governor told the Associated Press they are able to manage the water so there is enough for the people in Chonburi at least until the end of June which will be the beginning of rainy season.

“Please save water. Although we have enough to last us, everyone doing their part makes it better for all of us in the long term.”, the Governor added.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/01/06/c ... ny-season/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:28 pm Now we're being assured Pattaya does have enough water to last until rainy season. I hope that's right.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Chonburi Governor reassures residents that Pattaya and Chonburi has enough water to last to the rainy season

By Adam Judd

January 6, 2020

The Chonburi Governor told the associated Pattaya Press today that Chonburi has enough water supplies to last until at least the end of June, including for the Songkran Festival which is important for tourism for the area.
In an attempt to save water and lives canceling Songkran would be a wonderful idea :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:22 pm In an attempt to save water and lives canceling Songkran would be a wonderful idea :!:
Ok, you convinced me. Now convince the Thais . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

You know as well as I this will never happen as long as they think 1 Baht less will come to Thailand.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

There is some action regarding regional water supply:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... se-drought