Eros to reopen soon in Boystown

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Eros to reopen soon in Boystown

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Swing wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm What am I missing here?
I think you're missing this part:
Captain Swing wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm Maybe he actually knows a little more about the business than we think we do.
By that logic, most Pattaya go go bar owners did not know how to run a business. All but a handful failed. How many did there used to be, failing long, long before Eros?

I, for one, am not interested in how much he knows about running the business. I'm interested in what I want as his customer. If I'm getting what I want, I'm a loyal, steady customer. If not, I don't go. To me, someone who is able to provide his customers with what they want and also maintain a profitable enterprise, that's the man who knows how to run a business.

You talk about that he knows about the business, yet start by pointing out the business failed. Failed? After how many years? I wouldn't call that failure.

In my opinion the reasons why so many go go bars failed was the result of a great many factors. One was not much different from another, the prudish powers-that-be, paying the BiB to look the other way, the rise of prices and off fees, the excessively loud music, the strong baht, etc.

Personally, I have no interest in a bar featuring a swimming pool. I'm not interested in watching boys swim and I'm not going to a bar to swim myself or swim among a mixture of boys and customers. Maybe he has some sort of innovative idea that hasn't occurred to me. If so, what is it? Is there some reason why he isn't telling us?

I have my hopes for Eros and I know what Eros was. That's what I want again. If that's not what it's going to be, then someone needs to explain to me how it will be much different from the go go bars that still exist.

We'll see. If he does open in Boystown, there is at least one major positive aspect: no motorbike maniacs such as the ones that plague Sunee Plaza. There is also a negative for people like me who would arrive in a car. It's very difficult to find parking anywhere near.
a447

Post by a447 »

Captain Swing wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm the reaction is to virtually threaten him, that if he changes a thing no one will ever patronize his bar again
In my case, it is not a threat; it's a promise. And I'm only speaking for myself here.

If it is not the free and easy Eros I know so well then, swimming pool or no swimming pool, I'm not interested. It becomes just another bar.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:23 pm In my case, it is not a threat; it's a promise. And I'm only speaking for myself here.
I agree. No threat is involved at all. I'm trying to convey that what attracted people to Eros is still what would attract people to Eros. I believe if he can bring that to us again, especially after we've realized what was lost, his new bar will be quite successful. If we can't get that back, what's the point?

I think a447 is absolutely right when he says it would be just another bar - and I really don't see how that would be any more of an attraction than the go go bars that already still exist.

As I said, unless it is something truly innovative that hasn't occurred to me, I really doubt that a swimming pool go go bar is what gay customers are looking for.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Eros never had really good looking guys. What it had was hands on sleaze which assuredly won’t be tolerated in BT.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Well said Gaybutton, I agree with everything you wrote in your responses.

There are alot of things I find weird with what Erosboybar writes. Why wait until after Songkran? That is to wait until Pattaya has a low season again.
You will talk with the government in January? Must be bad english translation.
And I disagree with what Erosboybar writes about Sunee. Winnerboys and Niceboys are doing great, both now and before when your bar was open. Some of the beerbars also popular.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:11 pm Eros never had really good looking guys.
Disagree. We all have different taste. Just to mention a few of their latest boys I find handsome before the bar closed: Ton, Tono, Dan, Oil, Mon.....
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The ONLY thing that matters in a Boy Bar is the BOYS.

If the owner of a bar doesn't realize this, the business will go under as they always do.

The sleazier the better.

Swimming pool, or no swimming pool, If a person thinks he can take mediocre looking boys and stick them in a nicely polished upscale setting and make a living charging higher drink prices, he'll be sadly mistaken.

The only person I knew that had a successful business with a swimming pool was my old pal Monty. But Monty knew exactly what the customers wanted: He invited any and all boys who lived around the Sunee working scene to swim in his pool for free all day, as long as they would swim nude. That was the winning ticket. Monty wasn't a master at housekeeping, or for that matter, even a very disciplined business manger, but he knew exactly what farang punters wanted and gave it to them.

Kevin Quill also had a winning ticket at the old Splash Bar in Boyztown. He had very sexy (above average) boys floating around in Splash's human aquarium, great stage entertainment, and lots of cute boys serving drinks. Even with the aquarium and great stage entertainment, Kevin always said that the success of his, or any boy bar, comes down to the quality of the BOYS who work there. They have to be HOT and plentiful.

Running a gay bar here in LaLa is certainly an adventure, and not for the faint hearted, but those who are wise enough to recruit a skilled and seasoned ladyboy mamasan to do the recruiting, always seem to survive longer. A farang has absolutley no idea how to find the gems. Only the ladyboys can do this.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:18 pm If a person thinks he can take mediocre looking boys and stick them in a nicely polished upscale setting and make a living charging higher drink prices, he'll be sadly mistaken.

those who are wise enough to recruit a skilled and seasoned ladyboy mamasan to do the recruiting
We're back to a question of taste when it comes to "mediocre looking boys." Who gets to decide what constitutes good looking, mediocre looking, or anything else looking? My type and your type are probably not even close to the same. My type and Undaunted's type are light years apart. I think the trick is to find something for everyone types - as many as are willing to work as go go boys. And in a resurrection of Eros, they also need to be uninhibited.

These days such boys are not easy to find. It's hard to get Thai boys willing to work in the bars at all anymore, which explains the numbers of Cambodians, Laotians, Burmese, and Vietnamese boys working in bars these days. Dodger is right. Leave the recruiting to the ladyboy mama-sans. It's always been that way and now it needs to be that way more than ever.

And in my opinion - once the ladyboy mama-sans have completed the recruiting, pay them well for a job well done and send them on their way. No matter how much I like a bar, I avoid the ones that have aggressive mama-sans plaguing the customers. Those of us experienced in the bars probably have all dealt with mama-sans who stop at nothing trying to wheedle customers for a drink, begging for a tip, and pushing certain boys (the ones who give the mama-san a kickback when they get taken off). For me, that's a no thanks.
TomUK

Post by TomUK »

I have never been to Eros and compared to other board members my bar experience is fairly limited. I couldn't really say what I would expect from a new Eros, apart from one thing: Don't play the "music" at a level where one needs to wear ear defenders out of fear of losing one's hearing.

I went to Boyztown last night and there were at least two or three bars that would never get my custom. They could have the cutest boys on earth and give their drinks away for free for all I care. Unless they reduce their noise level substantially they won't get a single Satang out of me.

My bar of choice would be a reincarnation of All of Me in Sunee Plaza as it was in 2013. Here not all the boys were my type, but they were all fun to be with in the bar because they all interacted with the customers and with each other. I bought quite a few bottles of whiskey to share with the boys and I never had so much fun in any other bar, and that's without the sleaze some people seem to be craving so much.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

TomUK wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:11 pm Unless they reduce their noise level substantially they won't get a single Satang out of me.
They're not going to get a single satang out of you. They would be more likely to raise the noise level before ever reducing it.

Legally, all venues are required to keep the volume at 90 decibels or less. That law went into effect, I think 4 or 5 years ago. It was actually enforced for about 3 hours . . .