Greta Thunberg - TIME's Person of the Year

a447

Re: Greta Thunberg - TIME's Person of the Year

Post by a447 »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:38 pm
a447 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 pm People are probably getting tired of her
Apparently that applies to two on this board . . .
Guilty as charged!

By her own admission she has achieved nothing in the one year since she started her crusade. Time for her to step away and give another young person a go.

And BTW, we saw a perfect example of white girl privilege with her German train post. At least she sat on a a clean floor in air-conditioned comfort. She is obviously oblivious to train conditions in India.

Good one, Greta!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:02 pm Time for her to step away and give another young person a go.
Who do you suggest?
a447

Post by a447 »

Who do you suggest?
Not sure. I don't know many young people these days!

But someone who had a mind of his /her own and can at least answer the question : "What's your message?"

That would be a start.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Age doesn't matter. All it needs is someone who can communicate, has the intelligence and the mindset to question bullshit and has a strong interest in the topic.

One of the GOOD ex world leaders or ex business leaders would be good. If any of them want to take up the challenge.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Why not some applause for what she has done. Nothing prevents others from warning the world about the coming catastrophe and Greta has captured enough of the world's attention that, at least, some people are listening. Frankly, I don't understand those who are demeaning her. What earthly justification could they have?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Well, It seems I owe Greta an apology. Sorry Greta.

I'd assumed a professional organisation like DB would have checked the whole story before letting the PR machine loose on Twitter. It seems not, as trains were cancelled for part of the trip, hence the lack of seating. So DB may have been disingenuous.
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/a ... a-thunberg
I should have known better, as my two most recent DB trips had delays, cancellations and poor communication (even in German). DB do not live up to their historic reputation.

Anyhow, sorry Greta.

When new evidence is provided, I am prepared to modify my views and acknowledge errors.
I think that's the correct way to behave, but every board seems to have one or two who completely fail to do that. I'm not going to to fall into the same trap.
a447

Post by a447 »

Jun wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:31 pm Age doesn't matter.
In this case, I think it does.

Young people need one of their own, not some old person who will not be able to inspire them. There are plenty of smart young people out there who could take up the baton.

But perhaps they need to change their message and not tell us we should give up everything. As Greta has found out, you would have to go back to the stone age, as she surrounds herself with plastic and has not been able to escape the scourge of fossil fuels in every day life. So it is easy to label her a hypocrite.

Never a good look when you are pushing a cause.

I am not "demeaning" her; I'm simply pointing out the blatant contradictions. That's what happens when you put yourself out there. You have to expect to be scrutinised.

As for that photo, it is quite obvious staged and taken by a professional photographer. It's not taken on a smartphone. (Look at the perfect lighting, the arrangement of the luggage, the whimsical look on Greta's angelic face). But I think she has been put up to it by her minders, so perhaps the criticism should be aimed at them.