Greta Thunberg - TIME's Person of the Year

a447

Re: Greta Thunberg - TIME's Person of the Year

Post by a447 »

And yesterday she was caught out telling a lie. She posted some fake news on Twitter. - a photo of a lonely, vulnerable young girl forced to travel on a German train sitting on the floor. She actually traveled first class!

But perhaps we shouldn't judge her so harshly, as she is simply being manipulated by adults with an agenda. They deliberately chose her because she is a girl, she's young (and made to appear younger than she is by dressing her in childish clothes and making her wear pigtails), plus she has various mental issues and attends a special school in Sweden.

Now, what mainstream media would dare attack someone like that?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:32 pm And yesterday she was caught out telling a lie. She posted some fake news on Twitter. - a photo of a lonely, vulnerable young girl forced to travel on a German train sitting on the floor.
Even if that is true, so what? What difference does it make if she traveled first class? I don't understand why you continually try to put her down. She stands for doing something about pollution, global warming, and climate change - before it is too late. What's the problem about that, even if she is not a perfect human being?

And I don't even believe she lied.

Here's her version, which I believe:
Greta Thunberg wrote:Our train from Basel was taken out of traffic. So we sat on the floor on 2 different trains. After Göttingen I got a seat.This is no problem of course and I never said it was. Overcrowded trains is a great sign because it means the demand for train travel is high!
a447

Post by a447 »

She wrote that she was “finally on my way home” and included a photo of herself sitting on the floor of the train. She only mentioned that she got a seat after she was called out by German Railways.

Why didn't she include that info in her original post?

To me, this shows that she was patently dishonest and set out purposely to mislead us.

Also, her entourage were seated. Why didn't one of them offer her their seat? I'll tell you why - if they had, she wouldn't have had a picture to post on Twitter!

And anyway, what does that photo have to do with her crusade? Why did she post it? She didn't go to the UN to complain about the lack of seats on German trains!
Jun

Post by Jun »

a447 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:28 pm To me, this shows that she was patently dishonest and set out purposely to mislead us.
Agreed. Whether it's lying or not, I agree that she set out to mislead us. If she progresses from campaigning to some position of political influence in10 or 20 years, I hope she has learnt to behave with more integrity by then. If she seeks publicity, she rapidly needs to learn that dishonest behaviour is also called out.

Incidentally, Jeremy Corbyn pulled a similar stunt on a UK train with plenty of vacant seats. Thankfully he got a heavy defeat in the election last week.
a447

Post by a447 »

I think this is very revealing:

I'd rather hear from someone who was educated and who actually had a personal opinion on the subject at hand.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Boy oh boy, if the above posts aren't a page out of the Fox/Trump playbook, I don't know what they are. It's her message that's important, not her image as a teenage Mother Theresa. Wherever she sat on that train has nothing to do with the seriousness of the crisis facing the world and the focus on such minutia distracts people from the warnings she so eloquently expresses.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I certainly agree with RichLB. If anyone knows someone who can do it better than she's doing, I'd like to know who that is. She's 16 years old. Does anyone really expect her to have the experience, eloquence, and English vocabulary of a William F. Buckley?

As far as I'm concerned, she's a hero.
a447

Post by a447 »

RichLB wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:50 pm Wherever she sat on that train has nothing to do with the seriousness of the crisis facing the world
Yes, that's the very point I was making. So why try to mislead people?

As for Fox/Trump playbook, that press conference actually took place; it is not fake news. And it was interesting that nobody on the panel could give an answer to what is a very simple question.

And having given a speech at the UN on behalf of the young people in the world, what on earth did she's mean when she said in the interview: "I can't speak for others"?

I agree with the message, but not with the person chosen to spread it. As Greta recently said herself, after one year she has achieved nothing. People are probably getting tired of her and have noted her hypocrisy. Where does she think those trains in Germany get their electricity from? Most power in Germany is from the burning of fossil fuels.

Time to give someone else a go - someone educated who can articulate their simple message without needing notes.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 pm People are probably getting tired of her
Apparently that applies to two on this board . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

a447 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 pm Most power in Germany is from the burning of fossil fuels.
Yes, Germany should shut It's coal plants BEFORE closing any nuclear plants. They are getting that decision wrong. Also, I don't see how Germany can get 24-7 Electric from renewables in the next couple of decades. So for now, nuclear power is needed.

The UK has more scope for offshore wind, for obvious reasons. Due to enlightened policies over the last decade and more, the UK is now the number 1 generator of offshore wind electricity on the planet. However, even with the benefit of more dispersed locations, we can still get extended periods where output is ~1% of capacity due to low wind speed. So with gas fired plants for back up generation, it's not a zero carbon solution like nuclear.