Greta Thunberg - TIME's Person of the Year

Gaybutton

Greta Thunberg - TIME's Person of the Year

Post by Gaybutton »

And very well deserved.

by Charlotte Alter, Suyin Haynes and Justin Worland
Photographs by Evgenia Arbugaeva for TIME

Greta Thunberg sits in silence in the cabin of the boat that will take her across the Atlantic Ocean. Inside, there’s a cow skull hanging on the wall, a faded globe, a child’s yellow raincoat. Outside, it’s a tempest: rain pelts the boat, ice coats the decks, and the sea batters the vessel that will take this slight girl, her father and a few companions from Virginia to Portugal. For a moment, it’s as if Thunberg were the eye of a hurricane, a pool of resolve at the center of swirling chaos. In here, she speaks quietly. Out there, the entire natural world seems to amplify her small voice, screaming along with her.

“We can’t just continue living as if there was no tomorrow, because there is a tomorrow,” she says, tugging on the sleeve of her blue sweatshirt. “That is all we are saying.”

It’s a simple truth, delivered by a teenage girl in a fateful moment. The sailboat, La Vagabonde, will shepherd Thunberg to the Port of Lisbon, and from there she will travel to Madrid, where the United Nations is hosting this year’s climate conference. It is the last such summit before nations commit to new plans to meet a major deadline set by the Paris Agreement. Unless they agree on transformative action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the world’s temperature rise since the Industrial Revolution will hit the 1.5°C mark—an eventuality that scientists warn will expose some 350 million additional people to drought and push roughly 120 million people into extreme poverty by 2030. For every fraction of a degree that temperatures increase, these problems will worsen. This is not fearmongering; this is science. For decades, researchers and activists have struggled to get world leaders to take the climate threat seriously. But this year, an unlikely teenager somehow got the world’s attention.

Thunberg began a global movement by skipping school: starting in August 2018, she spent her days camped out in front of the Swedish Parliament, holding a sign painted in black letters on a white background that read Skolstrejk för klimatet: “School Strike for Climate.” In the 16 months since, she has addressed heads of state at the U.N., met with the Pope, sparred with the President of the United States and inspired 4 million people to join the global climate strike on September 20, 2019, in what was the largest climate demonstration in human history. Her image has been celebrated in murals and Halloween costumes, and her name has been attached to everything from bike shares to beetles. Margaret Atwood compared her to Joan of Arc. After noticing a hundredfold increase in its usage, lexicographers at Collins Dictionary named Thunberg’s pioneering idea, climate strike, the word of the year.

The politics of climate action are as entrenched and complex as the phenomenon itself, and Thunberg has no magic solution. But she has succeeded in creating a global attitudinal shift, transforming millions of vague, middle-of-the-night anxieties into a worldwide movement calling for urgent change. She has offered a moral clarion call to those who are willing to act, and hurled shame on those who are not. She has persuaded leaders, from mayors to Presidents, to make commitments where they had previously fumbled: after she spoke to Parliament and demonstrated with the British environmental group Extinction Rebellion, the U.K. passed a law requiring that the country eliminate its carbon footprint. She has focused the world’s attention on environmental injustices that young indigenous activists have been protesting for years. Because of her, hundreds of thousands of teenage “Gretas,” from Lebanon to Liberia, have skipped school to lead their peers in climate strikes around the world.

“This moment does feel different,” former Vice President Al Gore, who won the Nobel Peace Prize for his decades of climate advocacy work, tells TIME. “Throughout history, many great morally based movements have gained traction at the very moment when young people decided to make that movement their cause.”

Thunberg is 16 but looks 12. She usually wears her light brown hair pulled into two braids, parted in the middle. She has Asperger’s syndrome, which means she doesn’t operate on the same emotional register as many of the people she meets. She dislikes crowds; ignores small talk; and speaks in direct, uncomplicated sentences. She cannot be flattered or distracted. She is not impressed by other people’s celebrity, nor does she seem to have interest in her own growing fame. But these very qualities have helped make her a global sensation. Where others smile to cut the tension, Thunberg is withering. Where others speak the language of hope, Thunberg repeats the unassailable science: Oceans will rise. Cities will flood. Millions of people will suffer.

Full story and photos: https://time.com/person-of-the-year-201 ... -thunberg/
a447

Re: Greta Thunberg - TIME's Person of the Year

Post by a447 »

She’s a hypocrite and probably now realises how difficult it is to be an environmental activist and live your life day to day staying true to your beliefs.

What isn’t mentioned is the fact that there was a dirty diesel engine on the yacht. Also, in order for her to reduce her carbon footprint by not flying, the 2 people who sailed her yacht flew home and 2 more flew to New York to take her home.

She has also been photographed wearing what appears to be one of those yellow plastic anoraks.

If this is true, it’s damning:

But she probably deserves to be Person of the Year. It just recognises her influence, nothing else.
Jun

Post by Jun »

a447 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:24 pm She’s a hypocrite
Absolutely.

I'm damn sure she has a higher carbon footprint than I had at her age. Some of these youngsters like to talk about the environment, but their actions fall short.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It is impossible to avoid everything modern unless you want to live as if you are in the stone age.

When others are doing anything even close to what she is doing, that's when I'll be glad to listen to them try to put her down.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

a447 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:24 pm
This news source has zero credibility in my view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rebel_Media

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/10/19/r ... mist-rebel
a447

Post by a447 »

Up2u wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:33 am This news source has zero credibility in my view.
I'd never heard of them, which is why I said "if" the video was real it would be damaging to her image. No proof was offered that the Tesla involved was actually her car.

What I found particularly interesting, however, was the reaction of her supporters who didn't question the validity of the video yet still refused to criticise her.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Here she seems to be trying a dishonest trick straight out of the Corbyn playbook:

https://twitter.com/PeterRNeumann/statu ... 40256?s=19
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't understand why some of you want to put her down instead of supporting what she has started. All these things that some seem to find so terrible are "so whats" to me. She has become the voice of trying to deal with climate change, global warming, and pollution. If anyone knows of somebody making an equal or better impact, let me know who it is.

Here she is, 16 years old, and inspired millions, addressed the UN, and even might be awarded Nobel Peace Prize. And if I had anything to say about it, she'd get it.

I think everybody here wants something substantial done about these problems, and yet some are looking for ways to put her down or find a "gotcha!" Ok, maybe she isn't a perfect little angel. I couldn't care less about that. What she's doing and what she's trying to accomplish is what interests me, not how she travels.

Why the let's put her down campaign in some of these posts? I would have thought she would be getting full support here. She definitely has mine.
Jun

Post by Jun »

A very valid point. Perhaps I need to follow your advice on this one.

Guess I just got bored with all the banal Greta headlines, without much substance to the debate. That might be an error in my interpretation, or shoddy lazy journalism.

Some serious and hard discussion is needed. This probably needs a large block of developed nations to reinvent the WTO and only grant free access to markets for countries that are pedalling in the same direction.

It's no use Europe phasing out coal, if China is ADDING more new coal generating capacity than the whole of the EU has.

The US is offender #1, with a much higher CO2 output per person than Europe. I think it's about 3x UK levels per capita and we're not exactly good. The US public seem to think it's their right to drive some horrific brick shaped V8 pick up, when they need to be educated, taxed and bribed to downsize to a small 3 cylinder hatchback, followed by electric in a few years time, when the batteries are ready.

In Europe, the potty German politicians are shutting zero carbon nuclear plants, when coal should be the first to go.
More taxes on petrol, diesel and heating oil/gas are needed. However, such taxes brought out the yellow jacket protesters in France. We had similar fuel protests in the UK about 15-20 years ago.

Japan has shut nearly all it's nuclear plants and is burning carbon instead. Instead, they should just acknowledge that their nuclear regulators were a bunch of corrupt useless regards suffering groupthink. Then outsource leadership of their regulators to another country (possibly France). Try to restore some trust in the regulators and then reopen the nuclear plants as fast as the new regulators allow.

Countries who chop down rainforests should be kicked out of trade deals.

This is just a selection of the errors over energy policy.

Also as we may already be beyond the optimum CO2 levels, we need the most diverse range of intelligent people to research climate change mitigation and modification.
gera

Post by gera »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:28 pm Why the let's put her down campaign in some of these posts? I would have thought she would be getting full support here. She definitely has mine.
By her own recognition what she is doing (school boycotts, law suits against governments) does not bring any results. She is a creation of a part of global elite who are actually trying to make money on "green economy". No more, no less. In reality her actions lead to increasing generational divide which is very negative. The future will be tough for her generation and they better try to prepare themselves for the new bright world dominated by AI,
robots, and fierce competition. Only the most talented, industrious and well educated will be able to succeed. For others (including demagogues) the future is bleak.