Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: A Date Which Will Live in Infamy

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker

Re: A Date Which Will Live in Infamy

Post by windwalker »

I knew a gentleman who was a boy during the attack on Pearl Harbor; he is still alive and still living in Hawaii.
Gaybutton

Re: A Date which Will Live in Infamy

Post by Gaybutton »

Admiral Yamamoto, who planned the Pearl Harbor attack but was actually opposed to going to war with the USA, declared after the attack, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant."

4 days later on December 11, Hitler, an ally of Japan, declared war on the USA, less than 6 months into his invasion of Russia, thus sealing his own fate.

The turning point for the war in the Pacific came with the battle of Midway. Commander Joseph Rochefort, the man in charge of the team that broke the Japanese military code, proved the Japanese were planning to attack Midway and as a result Admiral Nimitz had the American fleet waiting for them. The Americans managed to sink 4 Japanese aircraft carriers, and the Japanese were never able to recover from the loss.

One of my favorite wartime quotes came from Rochefort when the word came in that 3 of the Japanese aircraft carriers had been destroyed. He said to Nimitz, "Three carriers, Admiral. Three. Isn't that worth at least a hot diggity damn?"

Not long after that, the Americans sunk the 4th Japanese aircraft carrier.
windwalker

Re: A Date which Will Live in Infamy

Post by windwalker »

For history buffs, the new movie, Midway, is quite good. I recently viewed it in Pattaya.