Indians Save Pattaya

Post by Undaunted »

Indians fill gap in Pattaya’s tourist decline:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/113593 ... n-decline/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Re: Indians Save Pattaya

Post by Dodger »

Kudo's to Thai Business Media for reporting accurate information related to tourist numbers.

TaT has continually showed increases in tourist numbers based on fudged statistics, at the same time as hotels and long-time restaurants are closing their doors, as anyone can see just by opening up their eyes.

The only thing the Business Media failed to highlight, is the fact that the "Stronger-Than-It-Should-Be Thai Baht" is probably the number one reason for the reported 20% decrease in tourists.

Not only is the strong baht hurting tourism, but the fact that Thailand is slowly ruining its image as a fun and carefree international destination has to be playing into this as well.

The Generals tightening their strangle-hold on foreign residents isn't helping Thailand's global image either.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Yes I agree the Baht strength is only one of the reasons of decreasing tourists in Thailand and not the important one in my opinion . The government reacent policy is to blame .
stkyricesf

Post by stkyricesf »

I just got back from Pattaya and at one bar I observed 5 Indian guys enter a bar and wanted to buy one drink (Not bottle) to share among them. :shock:
Jun

Post by Jun »

stkyricesf wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:18 am I just got back from Pattaya and at one bar I observed 5 Indian guys enter a bar and wanted to buy one drink (Not bottle) to share among them. :shock:
The last time I saw an Indian in a gogo bar, he wanted to stand watching and not buy a drink. Eventually they persuaded him to leave. More forceful bouncers needed.

I've also seen the same nonsense in Subway, twice. About 5 of them walk in & after much discussion, one of them buys a 6" sub and they all sit down together.
I presume their alleged 10,000 baht per day spend is fiction.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

One of the most important things in Thailand is not to loose face in public I assume that the Tai government is not satisfy with falling tourists numbers of course they will never admit that their policy is to blame so they manipulating the statistics to disguise the reality.
Most of the Indians and Chinese contribute very little to the local tourism economy they spend a fraction compare to the Western tourists and I know most of the Thai boys and girls won't take at any circumstances an Indian client.
Jun

Post by Jun »

ISAC69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:14 pm Most of the Indians and Chinese contribute very little to the local tourism economy they spend a fraction compare to the Western tourists and I know most of the Thai boys and girls won't take at any circumstances an Indian client.
I wouldn't tar them with the same brush.

1 Chinese GDP per capita is almost 5x that of India. China has quite a large middle class who are quite prepared to spend money. I've seen it myself with mainland Chinese that I know personally. They might go shopping @ Harrods or have on line deliveries of expensive goods several times per week during their stay in the UK.

2 Have a guess which country spends more than any other on outbound tourism ?
Well, according to the World Tourism Organisation, it's China (below).

Note that India is not in the top 10.
Also, note the UK is holding up well, despite the weak pound.

3 I have seen Chinese customers in bars like Toy Boys spending the money at quite a rate and behaving well. I've yet to see an Indian customer spend any money in a gogo bar.

[Image

I have no doubt that Pattaya attracts some low end Chinese tourists. Then the average spend of the Chinese visitors will be bumped up by others spending hundreds of dollars in the luxury shops and hotels in Bangkok.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

The above are absolute numbers per nation and not per tourist of course there are wealthy Chinese spending like there is no tomorrow in Thailand but they are the minority the average Chinese tourist come on low cost organised tour all pre paid and spend almost nothing in Thailand.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

ISAC69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:16 pm the average Chinese tourist come on low cost organised tour all pre paid and spend almost nothing in Thailand.
I was speaking to my once-and-perhaps-future Thai BF just last week and he made this exact point, almost word for word.
He was always contemptuous of the tour groups, many of them Chinese, following their flag bearing guide, down Walking Street or on Koh Larn, off the boat en masse, then an hour later back on the boat en masse. He always called them "Buffalo."

As for Indians, he seldom had anything good to say. When he worked in a hotel he claimed that Indians were charged more because their rooms had to stay vacant a day or two after they left in order to get the smell out--from their food, not their hygiene, hopefully. Later, when he worked in a disco catering to tour groups, he told me that for most nationalities there was a pay-as-you-go policy. Russians, more common than Chinese then, had to pay 200 baht upfront including one drink; otherwise they would listen to the music and dance without buying any drinks at all. Indians had to pay 600 baht upfront, simply to discourage them from coming in. He said they had a tendency to regard any East Asian woman as a prostitute and act accordingly. This did not go over well with the schoolteachers and office workers from Korea and Taiwan, or with their boyfriends or husbands. Too many fights ensued. (The disco story is definitely true--he was in a position to know--but the hotel story could be hearsay).
Jun

Post by Jun »

It seems that quite a few of the straight gogo bars ban Indian customers.

Google brings up some moaning about racism, but I suspect it's more likely to be the bars taking the obvious and fair decisions after too many of them try to avoid buying a drink.

So they won't be spending any of the alleged 10,000 baht per day there either. I reckon 10,000 baht is complete fiction.