Do you use GRAB in Pattaya? Better read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
gera

Re: Do you use GRAB in Pattaya? Better read this

Post by gera »

Customers then gravitate there to get the cheapest possible prices which hurts the business of the other taxi firms meaning their drivers have less work and so become one of the desperate who are then almost forced into submission.

I'll stand by what I said every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. These companies are an absolute evil.
I want to specifically discuss this (false) thesis. Before Uber and later Grab appeared in Pattaya , yellow cab drivers would demand 200 baht just to move. It was starting point of any price negotiation. In fact, it was a monopoly controlled by mafia. And despite these prices working conditions for taxi drivers were quite bad. They needed to pay a lot of money every day for cabs they were using. Uber and Grab broke mafia monopoly and everybody gained: customers and taxi drivers who themselves downloaded apps and became a bulk of workers for hailing companies. People like to talk about evil nature of capitalism and monopolies. Yet, when somebody wants to break your own monopoly, low productivity and unfair prices , that is where you start screaming about violation of your rights.
LaongsBistro

Post by LaongsBistro »

gera wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:43 pm My bf is now using Lineman for delivery. Just 10 baht. But they do not have Masala twist.
I'm sure you could come to an arrangement with Sonny. The lineman app has a messenger feature, so, place your order with masala, arrange the "messenger" to pick up from Masala and deliver to you. The delivery fee will be more expensive however Sonny won't be paying a commission to Lineman. And, in my experience, Lineman (who use lalamove bikes) are far more professional and communicative throughout the order process.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

gera wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:43 pm My bf is now using Lineman for delivery. Just 10 baht. But they do not have Masala twist.
Masala Twist is on Grab Food - delivery fee depends on your distance from restaurant - in my case 19 baht, but recent promotion by Grab was 10 baht - of course I give a tip to the driver.

When I was last into Masala, Sonny (owner/chef) said that during their busy hours (I think from around 6pm), they prefer order be through Grab even though they have to pay a 20% commission. Other times, for those in the Jomtien area, you can call the restaurant and they will continue to deliver (I presume it is still 50 baht delivery charge unless order is over 800 baht, then it is free).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Grab Drivers in Pattaya protest again, refuse to deliver to customers over benefits and pay disagreement with management

By Adam Judd

November 24, 2019

Pattaya - Local Grab drivers this afternoon have once again protested alleged low pay and lack of benefits given to them by management in Pattaya by striking and refusing to deliver to customers.

They previously protested just one week ago but the drivers say no action has been taken by the company and the management is allegedly ignoring their staff.

Over 75 drivers participated in today’s protest including a group drive to show unity through Pattaya.

The organizers of the protest told the Pattaya News the issue is recently the company allegedly cut overall commission pay from 55 baht to 30 baht but work hours and routes have increased. The company has not provided extra pay for the longer routes taking drivers far out of Pattaya and into Na Jomtien or deep into the Darkside near Mapprachan Lake for low pay. Additionally the company does not pay for gas or insurance.

The protesters would like the company to meet in the middle and raise the fee from 30 baht to 40 baht which they believe can make both sides happy, saving profit but making sure the drivers are properly paid.

Grab has not officially responded to the protests as of press time. The Pattaya News notes that complaints were seen on social media this afternoon of failure of delivery of food and the app saying vendors could not deliver today.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2019/11/24/g ... anagement/
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

gera wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:31 pm
Customers then gravitate there to get the cheapest possible prices which hurts the business of the other taxi firms meaning their drivers have less work and so become one of the desperate who are then almost forced into submission.

I'll stand by what I said every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. These companies are an absolute evil.
I want to specifically discuss this (false) thesis. Before Uber and later Grab appeared in Pattaya , yellow cab drivers would demand 200 baht just to move. It was starting point of any price negotiation. In fact, it was a monopoly controlled by mafia. And despite these prices working conditions for taxi drivers were quite bad. They needed to pay a lot of money every day for cabs they were using. Uber and Grab broke mafia monopoly and everybody gained: customers and taxi drivers who themselves downloaded apps and became a bulk of workers for hailing companies. People like to talk about evil nature of capitalism and monopolies. Yet, when somebody wants to break your own monopoly, low productivity and unfair prices , that is where you start screaming about violation of your rights.
Oh my friend you just proved my point. For Uber/Grab insert Mafia. No matter if it's the big money boys or the big gun boys taking their cut it still results in money being diverted to people who do nothing to earn it. Taxi drivers can operate quite sufficiently without the need to hand over money to gangsters or corporate bullies. You talk about unfair prices but the drivers do not set the tariff. I was a taxi driver for 10 years in Scotland. I worked for the TOA (Taxi Owners Association). Our costs for operating a taxi within the company were based on whatever it cost to run the taxi office (wages, rent, equipment etc). The local council set the tariffs and ensured we used suitable vehicles. We managed just fine without handing over money to gangsters or any other outsiders.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Captain Kirk wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 am Oh my friend you just proved my point.
For most customers, your point is irrelevant. If we have to contend with taxi drivers who refuse to use the meter, take detours, or charge foreigners more, then the offer of a fixed price, same as the locals on Uber or Grab is exactly what we want.
If the taxi drivers don't like it, they can naff off and do something else for a living.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Jun wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:21 am
Captain Kirk wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 am Oh my friend you just proved my point.
For most customers, your point is irrelevant. If we have to contend with taxi drivers who refuse to use the meter, take detours, or charge foreigners more, then the offer of a fixed price, same as the locals on Uber or Grab is exactly what we want.
If the taxi drivers don't like it, they can naff off and do something else for a living.
Yeah that's right. If Uber can grind them into the ground enough maybe you can even get another 5 baht off the price. Drinks all round.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Captain Kirk wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:40 am Yeah that's right. If Uber can grind them into the ground enough maybe you can even get another 5 baht off the price. Drinks all round.
From my limited experience of taxis in Thailand, meter taxis are often unreliable & dishonest (a trend seen in some other parts of the world).
Taxis pre-booked with the taxi firm are fine and Grab is fine. Guess which I will continue to use ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Maybe the GRAB drivers won't be happy until Pattaya bans them completely.

Nearly a dozen Grab taxi drivers attack regular taxi drivers in Pattaya

By Adam Judd

November 27, 2019

Pattaya – More than 10 Grab drivers allegedly attacked a stand of metered taxi drivers in Pattaya last evening.

Lieutenant Anan Mahakitassakun was notified of the incident at 10:30PM last night in Pattaya.

Pattaya Police arrived at the scene to stop the chaos after desperate phone calls from nearby witnesses. Three taxi drivers had sustained minor injuries. The scene had been described as an all out brawl between the two opposing companies.

The metered drivers told police that nearly a dozen Grab drivers, some in uniform, had started the fight before speeding away. The exact reasons for the fight was not clear according to police but appeared to be over allegations of one party allegedly stealing customers from the other party.

The three injured men have officially reported the incident to police for further legal action and stated they want to press full charges against the men and Grab.

Meanwhile, local Grab drivers have once again protested alleged low pay and lack of benefits given to them by management in Pattaya by striking and refusing to deliver to customers.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2019/11/27/n ... n-pattaya/
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I prefer walking or public transport, and cash transaction when using taxi. For these reasons, I have never used Uber or Grab or similar. I take metered taxis in Bangkok all the time and rarely have a problem (but I can speak in Thai to the driver, so he knows I have been here for a while).

However if I were spending long time in a location (Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phnom Phenh) were public transport is poor and metered taxis scarce, and every trip a new haggling over price, I would not hesitate to used Uber or Grab or similar and praise their fairness and simplicity.