Adapting to a Life in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Adapting to a Life in Thailand

Post by Jun »

windwalker wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:44 pm Why do we farang keep referring to all Thai men as "boys" ? An ingrained term?
That's off topic and was discussed extensively in another thread recently. You also participated in that thread. For convenience, here is the link:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9908 Many answers included there.

If anyone would like to add another answer to your question, I would respectfully request* that they do that in the other thread, as for some of us, the current thread topic is quite interesting.
I might even be adapting to life in Thailand myself sometime in the future, so it's always nice to learn.

[*A higher authority can usually be relied upon to make a stronger request]
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:28 am [*A higher authority can usually be relied upon to make a stronger request]
I guess that's me. You spotted this before I did. And you're right. If anyone wants to resume the discussion of how to refer to Thai males, please do so on the proper topic, as Jun posted.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I deleted several posts that have nothing to do with this topic and despite the two posts above. Those who want their posts deleted, very simple - all you have to do is ignore what I ask. Then you can rest assured your post will go bye-bye.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Dodger wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:28 pm I can handle Thai food once in a while, but it doesn’t really burst my bubble.
That's a pity. I like Thai food and I eat Thai food most of the time (Western once or twice per week). I guess you cook yourself. I don't, so I'm reliant on reasonably priced, widely available, tasty food, which I can get in Thailand.

Regarding character of Thai people, there are bad apples, and I have come across many of them. For all those members who praise Thai people, but cannot speak Thai, keep in mind that the English-speaking Thai you come in contact with is a positive selection.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Dodger wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:28 pm I can handle Thai food once in a while, but it doesn’t really burst my bubble.
I love Thai food! In fact, I think that Thai food is the best in the world, with the exception of Japanese food.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

christianpfc post_id=98094 time=1574931175 user_id=83]

Dodger post_id=97966 time=1574238512 user_id=107]

I can handle Thai food once in a while, but it doesn’t really burst my bubble.
That's a pity. I like Thai food and I eat Thai food most of the time (Western once or twice per week). I guess you cook yourself. I don't, so I'm reliant on reasonably priced, widely available, tasty food, which I can get in Thailand.
I really like the curry dishes, Tom Yum, and chicken noodle soups, etc., but have just lost my taste for many of the common stir-fried dishes. I have gone from eating 80% Thai to about 30% over the years.

Jai and I both enjoy cooking at home He's a great cook - 100% Thai food. He seems to enjoy the meals I prepare as well - 100% Chicago Italian home recipes.

What I do appreciate is the large variety of fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices, etc., you can pick up at a local market for just pennies. The fact that a lot of it is grown organically makes it just that much better.

We went food shopping at Big C once and I tossed a bag of Bok Choy in our basket. Jai immediately removed this from our basket and placed it back on the shelf. When I asked him what was wrong, he said that none of the leaves had any tiny holes in them from insects. I just stood there with a stupid look on my face. Later that afternoon we stopped by the local market where Jai purchased a bag of bkk choy. He proudly showed me a few tiny holes in the leaves from insect bites and said..."if it's good enough for the insects - it's good enough for humans".
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

One of the things I failed to mention in this post is the importance of speaking the language.

Not being able to speak to the people, or understand what they're saying, is a tremendous handicap, even more so now that I'm residing here full-time.

I've been procrastinating about this for years, and just recently made a commitment to start the learning process (again). I purchased a Rosetta Stone Thai Language Course several years ago which has been doing nothing but gathering dust. This Course is based on a learning process by association (sound & pictures), versus the traditional ways of memorizing word-by-word which should help, and Jai has volunteered to spend one hour/day correcting the pronunciation of the words I just learned which is the biggest challenge. Anyway, I'll let you know this time next year how it went.

C̄hạn t̂xngkār ca mī pheṣ̄ s̄ạmphạnṭh̒ kạb khuṇ (Have a Nice Day)
pong

Post by pong »

just say ´choke dee´=good luck, fits much better in the way the normal Thai expects to win the next lotteree
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Dodger wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:58 pm C̄hạn t̂xngkār ca mī pheṣ̄ s̄ạmphạnṭh̒ kạb khuṇ (Have a Nice Day)
That's a very odd transcription that I did not understand (at first, it looks more like Vietnamese), so I put it in google which came back with:
ฉันต้องการจะมีเพศสัมพันธ์กับคุณ How to say I want to fuck you in Thai.
(I would rather translate it as: I want to have intercourse with you.)
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

christianpfc wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:50 pm I would rather translate it as: I want to have intercourse with you.
See...that's exactly why I need to learn the language... :lol: