Do you use GRAB in Pattaya? Better read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Do you use GRAB in Pattaya? Better read this

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 am Maybe they should limit the areas they serve, expecting establishments on the Bright Side to deliver to the Dark Side is absurd.
I'm sure you would say that if you lived on "The Dark Side"

Nothing absurd about it at all. Depending on the location of the establishment, there are plenty of "Bright Side" deliveries that could easily be much further than "The Dark Side" deliveries. Along with that, GRAB drivers choose which delivery offers they wish to accept. If they think the recipient is too far away, they don't have to accept the delivery.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:00 am If they think the recipient is too far away, they don't have to accept the delivery.
It is nice to know that those that deliver have the right of refusal.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:04 am It is nice to know that those that deliver have the right of refusal.
Nobody is holding a gun to their heads to accept a delivery. When an establishment wants GRAB to make a delivery, the establishment location and delivery location are offered to GRAB drivers. The first GRAB driver to accept gets to make the delivery. That's how GRAB works.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

I looked at Grab very short trips in Pattaya 150 to 300 Baht outrageous rates I will continue to use the 10 Baht routes.for example 1 minute walk from Zing to Ganymede bar 190 Baht ridiculous!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ISAC69 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:41 pm I looked at Grab very short trips in Pattaya 150 to 300 Baht
There is the option of ordering from a restaurant or service that arranges its own deliveries. There are many. There are plenty of places to order food from if you don't want to use GRAB. For example, I frequently order from Hotmeals2u ( https://www.hotmeals2u.com/ ).

If your order is equal to or exceeds their minimum price for delivery, they send the food via their own motorbike drivers. Sometimes, if they're really busy, my food has been delivered by motorbike taxi drivers. Hotmeals2u arranges all that on their end. There is no additional fee for delivery, although I always tip the delivery driver.

Another alternative is to call a restaurant and place a takeaway order. Send a motorbike taxi driver to the restaurant with the money to pay for the food and have him deliver it to you. If he says he doesn't know where the restaurant is, call the restaurant and have them explain to him where they are and how to get there. Of course you would have to negotiate the price with the taxi driver and hope he doesn't just disappear with your money, but I doubt many motorbike drivers would cheat you.

The way I would do that would be to agree to the driver's fee, give him the money to pay for the food, and he gets his fee plus tip when he delivers the food. It's a minor risk if you don't want to use GRAB or go to the restaurant yourself.

If everything works out well and to your liking, get that driver's name and telephone number and call him every time you want food delivered that way. Then you won't need to use GRAB at all.
Jun

Post by Jun »

What's the attraction of delivered food over going to the restaurant ? Actually going there includes the benefits of exercise and getting out of the house.

I think the last time I consumed "delivered" food was just over 26 years ago, ordered by a housemate (cost shared).

Maybe if "The Dark Side" has no decent restaurants, it makes sense ? ;)
gera

Post by gera »

My bf is now using Lineman for delivery. Just 10 baht. But they do not have Masala twist.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

gera wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:18 am I would not be surprised if the only reason for "mutiny" is the opportunity to shake up Grab using their uncertain legal status.
You honestly think the bike drivers got together and discussed the legalities of Grab? Rather than looking in their pockets and finding they've not got very much? I don't see it.
And what does it mean to be employed by such companies?
Try Uber taxis. The driver has no rights, not to sick pay or holiday pay etc etc. Not unusual as the driver is "self employed". Problem is that self employed normally entails working whatever hours you want, whenever you want. With the likes of Uber this is not so. You are TOLD you MUST work a certain amount of hours per day and per week. Yes the driver can decide not to download an app but these companies are adept at finding the desperate people (often immigrants) who will work for the lowest amount just to have something. Customers then gravitate there to get the cheapest possible prices which hurts the business of the other taxi firms meaning their drivers have less work and so become one of the desperate who are then almost forced into submission.

I'll stand by what I said every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. These companies are an absolute evil.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Captain Kirk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:09 pm These companies are an absolute evil.
That's one perspective on it and no doubt there are some downsides to Uber, Grab etc.

However, from a consumer perspective, taxis is one of those sectors where I see more dishonest practices and scams than in most lines of business.

Grab, Uber etc counter this and put some control back with the consumer

As an example of the dishonest practices, earlier this year, I arrived in Pattaya on a bus, which stopped as soon as it turned onto Sukhumvit road, at the north end of Pattaya. I was sat at the front and noticed numerous people asking if this is the stop for "hotel XYZ".
Every time, the lead motorcycle taxi driver said yes and they got off the bus, even when the hotels were in central or southern Pattaya (the bus stops in central Pattaya, south Pattaya and finally ends up in Jomtien). This is a simple case of motorcycle taxi drivers lying to customers to rustle up business.

Also some "Meter Taxis" that refuse to use the meter, or take deliberate detours when they are using the meter.

Then when I once arrived at North Pattaya bus station, the baht bus wanted to charge me 200 to go to South Pattaya. The same driver quoted Thais "sam sip baht" (30). I walked across the road and eventually got a regular baht bus for 10 baht.

There are further examples.

So even though dodgy practises may be from a minority of drivers, I'm not particularly inclined to be charitable to people in this sector. Whilst I'm not a regular user of taxis, if the price looks right, I will happily use Grab, Uber etc, with fixed pricing that protects me from scams.
If the drivers don't like the T&C for Grab, Uber etc, they can naff off and try a different career.

Incidentally, as far as I know, Uber and the rest of them are losing money as they try to build market share. They need to make it attractive enough for drivers to move to Uber/Grab etc. No excess profiteering here.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Jun wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:55 pm
Captain Kirk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:09 pm These companies are an absolute evil.
Incidentally, as far as I know, Uber and the rest of them are losing money as they try to build market share. They need to make it attractive enough for drivers to move to Uber/Grab etc. No excess profiteering here.
What's the ultimate goal? Offer prices lower than the opposition, stand the losses in the short term because they have the financial muscle to do so, force small taxi firms out of business and then KERCHIIING!! it's all theirs...and people stand for it to save them a few pennies. It's pathetic. All stand and hail the money God.