Why do some Americans support Trump?

werner99

Why do some Americans support Trump?

Post by werner99 »

Although I am not American, I lived in the U.S. for many years and follow American politics closely.

Could someone please explain to me why some Americans -- perhaps as high as 40 percent of the American population -- support such an evil and corrupt idiot like Trump.

I personally do NOT know ONE SINGLE AMERICAN who supports Trump. ALL my American friends despise him.
Gaybutton

Re: Why do some Americans support Trump?

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:51 pm I lived in the U.S. for many years and follow American politics closely.
I think you answered your own question. You follow politics, but a great many Americans don't even bother.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

werner99 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:51 pm
-- support such an evil and corrupt idiot like Trump.
You could level the same accusation at people in many countries throughout the world.
gera

Post by gera »

Captain Kirk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:39 pm
werner99 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:51 pm
-- support such an evil and corrupt idiot like Trump.
You could level the same accusation at people in many countries throughout the world.
I totally agree. There are plenty of idiots everywhere throughout the world including in Europe. IMHO those who try to single out America in this respect simply express their deeply seated anti-american feelings.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

I totally disagree, gera. Werner's assessment is quite true.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

gera wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:14 am There are IMHO those who try to single out America in this respect simply express their deeply seated anti-american feelings.
I don't think that is a fair characterization of anti-Trump sentiment. As an American I am also a patriot and that is exactly why I see Trump as a danger to not only the US but to the world in general. The list of his corrupt practices, repeated lies, abuses of power, and lack of moral integrity is well documented. I'm sure he is not the only wannabe despot in the world, but that hardly excuses how evil he is.
@DM

Post by @DM »

Here's a link to an excellent podcast episode on the Hidden Brain that discusses some of what motivates Trump supporters. https://www.npr.org/2018/10/15/65754768 ... king-class

Clearly there are going to be some pure rabid vile racists, etc., who support Trump, but that's not all of his supporters. What they discuss in this podcast makes a lot of sense to me. The working class has been hammered over the last decades. The "elites" have done well for themselves, and those same elites often dismiss the working class as dumb, racist, fat, etc. Trump squarely positioned himself - somewhat unbelievably, if you ask me - but still, he positioned himself as the person speaking for those white working class people who have been left behind. Trump supporters see him and his flaws like everyone else, but - as the headline from the podcast says - a vote for him is big vote with the middle figure.
@DM

Post by @DM »

If anyone really wants to go down this rabbit hole, here's a link to a great lecture on how shares of income/ labor etc. have changed over time and the impact of globalization. The link starts the video where he starts talking out labor wage stagnation and where the value has been going instead of to labor, but I recommend watching the whole video if you have an hour or so to spare.

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Many of the Trump supporters (not all) come from the ranks of the unemployed who are not always the brightest bulbs on the tree, beer-chugging Red Necks who like the fact that Trump is prejudiced, and of course anyone else out there who can't figure out how to pay their bills and blames the government for their own personal failures in life.

Have you ever noticed, that all the women that support Trump wear smeared lipstick. What does that tell you?
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Dodger wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 am Many of the Trump supporters (not all) come from the ranks of the unemployed who are not always the brightest bulbs on the tree, beer-chugging Red Necks who like the fact that Trump is prejudiced, and of course anyone else out there who can't figure out how to pay their bills and blames the government for their own personal failures in life.
You don't think the wealthier end of the US voted for the Republican candidate?