I'm So Confused - O or OA

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

I'm So Confused - O or OA

Post by RichLB »

How do I know what kind of visa I have? I've lived here for about 20 years. Originally I got the visa from the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles and think I renewed it here in Thailand (I don't remember). The stamp in my passport when I extend my stay each year only says "Retirement" but doesn't identify what kind of visa I'm extending. How do I know what kind of visa I have (without visiting Immigration and potentially raising red flags)?
mahjongguy

Re: I'm So Confused - O or OA

Post by mahjongguy »

Still have that original passport?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

A good chance it is an OA. I obtained a Non-Immigrant O Multiple Entry in 2002 from Honorary Consul in Dallas, Tx. receiving a 90 day permission to stay on each entry (did a trip to Vietnam and later a border run to Cambodia) then returned to USA for 2 months then coming back rec'd another 90 day permission to stay - it was that one that I extended for one year as a retiree in July 2003. I am now on my 2nd passport since the one with the Visa. Checking the stamp in my current passport, it shows "Non-O" was what I used.

A friend of mine from the UK did get a retirement Visa and received a one year permission to stay when he arrived. He is also on a newer passport and his stamp says "RE". Last Sunday at the Pattaya City Expats Club meeting he showed me his passport with the original visa. The Visa was one of the old "stamped" ones instead of the newer sticker ones. It had "O" in the category, but his initial permission to stay stamp at the airport show he rec'd a one year permission to stay. There was also a "Retirement" stamped on the page next to the Visa & entry stamps. This would indicate that it was in fact an OA category as they were the only ones that would get you a one year permission to stay on entry. But, then again, if they were not using the category "OA" itself back then, it may not be subject to the health insurance rules - then again, it may.

If you visit Immigration, you will not be raising a red flag. They will tell you whether they consider it to be an OA subject to the health insurance or an O, not subject to it. That will be the case whether you check now or when you go for an extension. IMO better to find out now so you have plenty of time to consider your options if they do decide the health insurance applies.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

My understanding is that if you got your original long stay Visa (1 year) in Thailand Vs. your home country at least for the time being you’ve no need to show mandatory insurance.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

The first page or two of your current passport should have the stamps in them transferring your visa information, permission to stay, etc. to it. There should be a small square stamp which includes the information "visa class". That refers to your original visa which you have been extending ever since.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:53 pm There should be a small square stamp which includes the information "visa class".
Ceejay is right. I never knew that. I just checked my own passport and there it is.

If it says Non O, you have the O visa
If it says Non O-A, you have the O-A visa.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Non O. Original long stay visa done at Jomtien immigration

RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Thanks so much for the input everyone. I checked my current "Extension of Stay" stamp and it doesn't indicate O nor OA - all it says is "Retirement". But, under the stapled paperwork in my new passport was an official looking stamp which clearly stated Non-O. Whew, I was stressing about this. I wonder now what happens to people who are of advanced age (over 80) with pre-existing conditions (high blood pressure, arthritis, immune disorders, ulcers, etc.). I'd guess it's virtually impossible for them to get health insurance.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

RichLB wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:56 pm I wonder now what happens to people who are of advanced age (over 80) with pre-existing conditions (high blood pressure, arthritis, immune disorders, ulcers, etc.). I'd guess it's virtually impossible for them to get health insurance.
I think at the moment they’re fucked and it is only a matter of time till all long stay visas will require proof of approved Thai insurance coverage.
Just imagine expats who have moved to Thailand, sold residences abroad, established lives here and will be forced in their elder years to uproot themselves and find a life elsewhere.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:43 pm Just imagine expats who have moved to Thailand, sold residences abroad, established lives here and will be forced in their elder years to uproot themselves and find a life elsewhere.
I'm imagining what the Thai banks will say when all those farang retirees with 800,000+ baht in their accounts withdraw every baht of their money and move elsewhere. According to an article on Thaivisa, there are nearly 73,000 of us. See: https://news.thaivisa.com/article/38177 ... n-thailand

I can certainly understand why Thailand wants retired farang residents to have valid medical insurance, but I have yet to see a rational explanation, or for that matter any explanation as to why it has to be a Thai insurance company.

Crazy as this sounds, if they are really going to do this to O visa holders too, I wish they'd do it immediately - before we're all too old to even be eligible for it - if we aren't already . . .