Dew. A new Thai BL movie

Anything and everything about Thailand
thewayhelooks

Dew. A new Thai BL movie

Post by thewayhelooks »

A new gay romantic film from Love of Siam director Chookiat Sakveerakul has opened in Thailand. Titles Dew: Let’s Go Together it tells the story of Pop and Dew, friends who study at the same school but slowly realize, that there might be something more than friendship between them. Unfortunately, they live in an era which isn't open to homosexuals and thus the two get separated only to meet 23 years later.

I haven’t seen the movie yet as it only opened two days ago. However a note of caution to anyone planning in see it. In Pattaya, it has English subtitles at its sessions at Central Festival and Terminal 21 but NOT at the Major cineplex at The Avenue, according to the cinema apps.

So check out cinemas in your area.

stkyricesf

Re: Dew. A new Thai BL movie

Post by stkyricesf »

Thank you for the post. I'll be there in a couple of weeks and this appears to be a movie I'd enjoy. This is the type of information that is great, otherwise I probably would have never have the opportunity to see it. Thanks again.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

You're welcome. I found out details of the movie by chance and posted quickly. I hope the movie is still playing when you get here. Unfortunately, a number of Thai movies have English subtitles in the cinemas but don't on the DVD. Red Wine in the Dark Night, with the delightful Fluke Pongsatorn Siripinta (from My Bromance fame) was a case in point.
Speaking of Fluke, his new series for LINE TV, Until We Meet Again, starts on Saturday November 9 for 12 episodes. Fluke plays the reincarnation of his older self looking for his lost love.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Thai BL series and films are the rage at the moment and not only in Thailand however, most of the guys playing these roles are straight and twink characters are few.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:24 am most of the guys playing these roles are straight
How do you know?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:16 am
Undaunted wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:24 am most of the guys playing these roles are straight
How do you know?
When they slept at my place I asked.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:40 pm When they slept at my place I asked.
Slept? Now I know you're getting old . . .

"Some men are lovers
They work under covers
And from lover's bed to lover's bed they leap.
But I want to drink to
The man nobody drinks to.
The fellow who gets into bed and goes to sleep."

- Yul Brynner (Taras), 'Taras Bulba'
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

I went to the Major cinema at The Avenue in Pattaya to see the latest Terminator movie. While there, I noticed on the program times near the ticket desk that Dew, which I plan to see soon, does have English subtitles after all. I checked my mobile app which does not mention subtitles at all. The ticket seller assured me the movie has subtitles but couldn't explain the app omission.

I give up. See it at your own risk.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Amassing the topic is on post number 7 and no one has actually seen the movie. I hate to break the pattern but the BF and I went to see this movie at Terminal 21 in Pattaya on 4 November an here is my review. I did not like it but did not hate it either. The BF liked it. There were English sub-titles.

It's a typical Thai three hankie formula movie. Heavy on the melodrama. I have this image of a Thai acting class where the instructor says OK, now everyone imagine your best friend got run over by a bus and start crying. Most Western movies make it all the way to the ending with no crying.

Lots of plot flaws and contrived facts to fit the plot. Thai film makers get the technicalities of film making quite well but the stories, dialogue and the plot is often so off center to be amusing. It's a basic Thai soap plot. I've never been a Thai student in a government school but the BF told me that was not an accurate picture of how a school is run. They don't round up the gay students for a re-education camp. The BF caught more plot and continuity errors then I did but still liked the movie.

There were not many at the 8pm show, maybe 15 people. I don't expect it to be running very long. Even in Bangkok most gay movies get a one week run. The only exception was 'Call Me By Your Name' which showed to packed theaters in Bangkok for several weeks.

Don't let my somewhat negative review stop you from seeing this movie. I did not find it painful to see it and take your BF or a BS and he'll likely enjoy it.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

It's based on the Korean movie from 20 years ago called Bungee Jumping of Their Own. With a plot reversal. I enjoyed it despite the melodrama. At least it didn't have any over the top screeching ladyboys.