"Big Brother" for cars and motorbikes - maybe

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: "Big Brother" for cars and motorbikes - maybe

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:36 pm
Monitoring traffic would be better done by a network of roadside cameras
I don't know about in the cities, where speeding is usually impossible in the first place, but they do use cameras on the expressways. The trouble is - many of them are not maintained, are inaccurate, and don't work. Other than that, they're great . . .

If this really does go into effect, what day will the protest marches begin? Will it be another Hong Kong?
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

It seems to me that standard moveable radar traps would do a lot towards reducing highway speeds. A few of these moving around the highways of the country would cost a lot less than the GPS scheme.

I did a, admittedly not representative, survey of the numbers of motorbike drivers wearing helmets the other day. Of about 40 that went by my location approximately 50% were wearing helmets. I've not seen a police helmet checkpoint in a while. Do they still do these? Seems to up the helmet usage a bit when these checkpoints are imposed.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:36 pm
They seem to have missed the point that the first people they should be monitoring is their own corrupt police force. Converting that from a bribe collecting machine to a policing unit would be a good start.
Absolutely!
Jun

Post by Jun »

jimnbkk wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:18 pmIt seems to me that standard moveable radar traps would do a lot towards reducing highway speeds.
European countries have far lower death rates with higher highway speeds.
Rather than pure speed, I think the problems in Thailand are more crazy driving, bad road layout and not wearing safety gear like seatbelts or helmets. Earlier this year, I even saw school kids travelling on the roof of the baht bus in Nang Rong.

European evidence shows it is possible to safely drive at 80mph or more, if the driver, other drivers and the roads are suited to it. Unfortunately, it's easier to measure speed than stupidity, so that's what police forces all over the world go after. However, it's the stupid driving than needs stamping out.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Increasing the legal speed limit would only result in stupid people killing people faster.

In the West we have patrol cars for monitoring and controlling drivers. If you're observed speeding, driving recklessly, or violating a safety law, you're pulled over to the side of the road and ticketed. If you're driving under the influence of alcohol (or drugs) you are arrested, incarcerated, and fined, with the possibility of also having your drivers license suspended or revoked.

There are no patrol cars monitoring drivers in Thailand, nor do the motorbike police enforce the laws. The exception being the totally random road blocks where donations are paid. Rarely, at least from what I've observed, do these roadblocks result in drivers being arrested, or, for that fact, forced to go to a police station to pay a ticket for their violation. The way traffic laws are currently being ignored by the Traffic Police, there is absolutely no motivation for those who continually break driving laws to stop doing so.

The Transportation Ministry ranks "Speeding" as the leading cause of accidents. After 20 years of driving in Thailand, I disagree with this, and rank "Reckless Driving" as the leading cause. Of all the road accidents I've witnessed, and there's been more than I care to count, almost all have been caused by reckless driving, including, but not limited to, improper lane usage, failing to yield the right of way, tailgating, failing to reduce speed on yellow warning lights, failing to stop at red lights, erratic breaking and acceleration (drunk), and the list goes on. This type of irresponsible driving is the source of most of the accidents.

The only way I know of to reduce these accidents caused mostly by ignorant people, is to have the police monitoring, controlling, and enforcing the laws. It doesn't matter รf you give them high-tech GPS systems, laser guided stun guns, or drone satellite surveillance, if the police are not expected to enforce the laws, the laws won't be followed.

Traffic Police are paid the same amount as trainee 7/11 clerks. If the Transportation Ministry was really serious about reducing accidents and road fatalities, you think they would increase Traffic Police salaries, and start recruiting and training a more professional and disciplined police force with higher expectations and closer monitoring.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:46 am Increasing the legal speed limit would only result in stupid people killing people faster.
I think there would be an additional result. If they increase the speed limit, the reckless drivers will be breaking that limit too.