Democratic candidates running for President in the U.S.

werner99

Democratic candidates running for President in the U.S.

Post by werner99 »

Although I am NOT an American citizen, I have lived many years in the U.S. and follow American politics closely.

All my American friends--without exception--hate Trump, and they are debating whom to support among the Democrats.

Question for the American members of this forum: Whom are you supporting and why?

Question for the non-American members of this forum: What do you think of the candidates running for American President?
Gaybutton

Re: Democratic candidates running for President in the U.S.

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:34 am Question for the American members of this forum: Whom are you supporting and why?
I like almost all of the Democrat candidates. My favorite candidate is Pete Buttigieg, but I don't think he stands much of a chance for the 2020 election. I'd like to see him become a senator and perhaps make a run for president again in 2024 or 2028. I hope the others who are not already senators get into the senate, beat out any Republican politicians, and I hope for a Democrat president, Democrat House of Representatives, and a Democrat Senate, preferably in a landslide.

For president in the 2020 election I'm supporting Elizabeth Warren. I really like what she says, the way, as a senator, she goes after corrupt business practices, the fact that she does not accept campaign contributions from special interest groups, and I think she can beat Trump. She is the only politician I have ever donated a monetary campaign contribution and I'm glad I did it.
Bob

Post by Bob »

While I admire Elizabeth Warren for the same things mentioned by GB above, I do not believe she can beat Trump for several reasons. First, while her "medicare for all" sounds great in principle, it simply can't work (financially) and has zero chance of passing in Congress. Second, her Indian heritage issues (both the claim in general and her use of it for some minority status back in her earlier days) left a bad taste with me. Finally, she's a woman (which is actually a plus for me given men have screwed it up for 230 years.... but I do believe that there remain many men in the US who simply won't vote for a woman).
I could vote for several of the other Democratic candidates - Buttigieg, Biden, Booker, etc., but I believe that Biden has the best chance to beat Trump (so long as Joe keeps his foot out of his mouth occasionally).

But....bottom line...I'll vote for whoever opposes Trump regardless of who the Dems put up.
gera

Post by gera »

Bob wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 pm While I admire Elizabeth Warren for the same things mentioned by GB above, I do not believe she can beat Trump for several reasons. First, while her "medicare for all" sounds great in principle, it simply can't work (financially) and has zero chance of passing in Congress. Second, her Indian heritage issues (both the claim in general and her use of it for some minority status back in her earlier days) left a bad taste with me. Finally, she's a woman (which is actually a plus for me given men have screwed it up for 230 years.... but I do believe that there remain many men in the US who simply won't vote for a woman).
I cannot agree more. The following disqualifies (to me) her (and Bernie Sanders) as viable candidates;https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/17/business ... index.html
While I will not vote for Trump under any circumstances, I will not vote for Warren and Sanders either.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 pm I will not vote for Warren and Sanders either.
I will. I will vote for anybody, even my neighbor's dog, to try to defeat Trump if he is still president in 2020. Impeachment and conviction, resignation, Republicans selecting another candidate, bribing him to leave office - just get him out, hopefully before he does any further damage.

I can't even begin to imagine how long it will take to undo the damage he's already done. And if he wins a second term . . .

378 days to go until the election.
Bob

Post by Bob »

gera wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 pm I will not vote for Trump under any circumstances, I will not vote for Warren and Sanders either.
I sure will too vote for her or Sanders over Trump. While everyone has a free choice, not voting for the Democratic nominee is pretty much the same as voting for Trump...and that would be a disaster.
While I disagree with economic platforms that the US cannot afford and which have zero chance of passing Congress, let's not forget that both Warren and Sanders are basically very decent people....a far cry from the disaster that's presently occupying the White House.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Bob wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 pm But....bottom line...I'll vote for whoever opposes Trump regardless of who the Dems put up.
Well said Bob. My family has "union roots" and fought long hard battles for diversified health care plans and "mandated" Medicare for All is a stab in the back of union households. Sanders doing away with insurance companies health plans also impacts me personally and others as we can kiss our Medicare supplement plans goodbye. I will not vote for Sanders or Warren and my current favorites are Biden, Klobuchar, Buttigieg. Candidates who expand health care options including optional Medicare for All will get my vote.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:25 am I will not vote for Sanders or Warren
I think that would be a big mistake. Democrats who didn't like Hillary Clinton not voting at all is how Trump got elected. I have a feeling by now they all wish they had voted.

I'd rather vote for a Democrat candidate even if I don't like some of their policies than risk Trump getting reelected. That would be worse than anything. Much worse. Besides, neither Warren, Sanders, or any other candidate can put those kinds of policies in place unless Congress enacts new laws.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

gera wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 pm While I will not vote for Trump under any circumstances, I will not vote for Warren and Sanders either.
No matter who the Democrats end up with, let's not forget that Hillary haters who elected to sit out the election rather than vote for her or Trump most likely ended up putting Trump over the top. Let's not make that mistake again.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

RichLB wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:41 am
gera wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 pm While I will not vote for Trump under any circumstances, I will not vote for Warren and Sanders either.
No matter who the Democrats end up with, let's not forget that Hillary haters who elected to sit out the election rather than vote for her or Trump most likely ended up putting Trump over the top. Let's not make that mistake again.
My feelings exactly!