Smoking (cigarettes)

Undaunted

Smoking (cigarettes)

Post by Undaunted »

In the 18 years I've lived in Thailand 2 friends who were avid smokers have died of lung cancer a third whom GB has met with me at the Malaysia hotel coffee shop has just had his second stroke and is totally blind and cannot walk, his cardiologist attributes his strokes directly to smoking as it shrinks the walls of the arteries and inhibits the flow of blood. When adding things to my "don't get it list" this has to be my #1.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Captain Kirk

Re: Smoking (cigarettes)

Post by Captain Kirk »

Vaping is also already claiming victims. Wonder how long it'll be before it's decided vaping is just as bad.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Unable to go to immigration to renew his 1yr visa among the usual requirements it is necessary to supply a photo of him in his current condition.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

I have never understood why people smoke considering the known effects on health.

However, whilst smoking might be one of the most extreme examples of choosing to slowly commit suicide, there are other examples.

Life expectancy can be reduced by over eating or eating very badly. Yet some people live off burgers and sugary drinks, ending up about twice their optimum weight. So the probability of a heart attack is increased. Some end up with diabetes due to a poor diet and lack of exercise.

Then there is alcohol. This one is not quite so clear, since there have been studies that show it has some benefits if consumed in moderation. However, as far as I can tell overall, it would be better if we don't touch the stuff. Also, many do not always consume it in moderation. I'm guilty of that, now & again.