London hosts city's first Trans+ Liberation March

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

“We were able to exist and not have the loneliness or isolation that we often do when we walk the streets alone,” one participant said.

By Quinn Gawronski

September 17, 2019

London had its first Trans+ Liberation March on Saturday, with an estimated 1,500 people taking to the streets for transgender equality. Jamie Windust, who participated in the inaugural event, called it “euphoric.”

“We were all in unison and had such a collective strength,” Windust told NBC News. “We were able to exist and not have the loneliness or isolation that we often do when we walk the streets alone.”

Despite safety concerns before the event, there were no counterprotests, and the march proceeded smoothly from Wellington Arch to Soho Square.

“We were in a space where we couldn’t be defeated,” Windust, who identifies as nonbinary, said. “The important thing for me was that we were actually able to congregate in a space but to also have fun and be kind to each other. We had a joyous time in each other’s company and weren’t bogged down by drama.”

Windust added that trans people typically coalesce in response to tragedy — for mourning a trans person who has been attacked, for example. This march was different.

“It was nice to get back to the meaning of what pride is,” Windust said. “We could reclaim our space and rejoice in each other’s company.”

Saturday’s march came a year after a small group of anti-transgender feminists called “Get the L Out” disrupted London’s annual pride march with signs that read “Transactivism Erases Lesbians.”

Windust said they hope London’s Trans+ Liberation March inspires other cities across the world to ignite their own movements.

Story and photos: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out ... h-n1055091
Trongpai

Re: London hosts city's first Trans+ Liberation March

Post by Trongpai »

Trans Pride came out of the lack of inclusion to Gay Pride events. It's hard for me to understand why some gay people are so hostile, insulting and rude to trans people. You don't have to start wearing a dress to be nice to those who do and it's not a lifestyle choice.

The need to insult, put down and say hateful things about any group says more about you then the one you're putting down.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Trongpai wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:15 pm Trans Pride came out of the lack of inclusion to Gay Pride events. It's hard for me to understand why some gay people are so hostile, insulting and rude to trans people. You don't have to start wearing a dress to be nice to those who do and it's not a lifestyle choice.
1 I thought most trans people have become trans by a lifestyle choice.

2 Whilst I respect the rights of people to live a transgender lifestyle, it's not something that interests me at all & I'm quite happy if they go off and have their own event.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Everyone has a right to follow a life style choice however, they should represent themselves and not tag on to anything gay, as far as I am concerned it is a wholly different thing.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:58 pm I am concerned it is a wholly different thing.
Perhaps so. Certainly transgender does not necessarily mean gay, but in my opinion people who all too often are themselves stigmatized, persecuted, and denied rights - the last thing they should be doing is doing the same to others. Those who don't like them, that's their choice, but at least just leave them alone.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Jun wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:41 pm 1 I thought most trans people have become trans by a lifestyle choice.
That's what the religious right intolerant groups say about being gay. It's a life style choice so just stop it!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:51 pm
Undaunted wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:58 pm I am concerned it is a wholly different thing.
Perhaps so. Certainly transgender does not necessarily mean gay, but in my opinion people who all too often are themselves stigmatized, persecuted, and denied rights - the last thing they should be doing is doing the same to others. Those who don't like them, that's their choice, but at least just leave them alone.
Gay people endure enough problems without adding transgender to the mix!
Jun

Post by Jun »

Trongpai wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:14 pmThat's what the religious right intolerant groups say about being gay. It's a life style choice so just stop it!
I would like to make it clear that my stance very different to the religious right. I see it as a lifestyle choice (in most cases) and they are welcome to make that choice as far as I'm concerned.

If someone has decided to have medical procedures to modify their gender, well if that's not a lifestyle choice, what is ?

I would also prefer that people recognise a between gay and transgender, although people may of course be both.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:54 pm Gay people endure enough problems without adding transgender to the mix!
What are you trying to say? If you are trying to say that transgender people and gays are totally different things - one having nothing to do with the other - but it's wrong to mistreat either group, then I agree with you.

I think it also should be mentioned there is a major difference between transgender and transvestite. Often one is confused with the other. That is one of the reasons I have always been opposed to labeling people.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:44 pm
Undaunted wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:54 pm Gay people endure enough problems without adding transgender to the mix!
What are you trying to say? If you are trying to say that transgender people and gays are totally different things - one having nothing to do with the other - but it's wrong to mistreat either group, then I agree with you.
Who is talking about mistreatment :?: