Treat yourself to Business Class

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: Treat yourself to Business Class

Post by fountainhall »

First class non-stop HKG to JFK and back is $15,234!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

More news that airlines are both cutting service, reducing capacity and slashing fares to Hong Kong. Qantas and United are using smaller aircraft and United has axed is non-stop Chicago/Hong Kong service. Next month Delta axes its only service to Hong Kong which originates in Seattle.

Cathay Pacific has already axed Dublin and will suspend some of its daily flights to Paris, Frankfurt, Vancouver, Washington and New York. More cuts are in the pipeline, particularly its services to mainland China.

On the plus side, The Wall Street Journal reports that hotel prices are being slashed by as much as 70%. A quick look at agoda for a two nights stay in the peak early October period shows the following per night prices (all in US$) -

5 stars
Regal Airport Hotel - $156 reduced from $460
Royal Garden - $115 reduced from $537
Royal Plaza Hotel - $86 reduced from $478
The Langham Hotel - $161 reduced from $537
Le Meridien Cyberport - $121 reduced from $248
4 stars
The Fleming - $205 reduced from $391
Courtyard by Marriott - $129 reduced from $345
Ramada Hong Kong Harbour View - $33 reduced from $209
Park Hotel - $82 reduced from $332
3 stars
Imperial Hotel - $63 reduced from $281

https://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmarti ... bd5d613f22
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:06 am A quick look at agoda for a two nights stay
Have I missed something? Two nights stay where? Are all of the hotels on your list Hong Kong hotels? I wouldn't have known any of them are Hong Kong hotels except for the fact that Hong Kong is part of the name of "Ramada Hong Kong Harbour View."

My guess is these hotels have slashed prices because with what has been going on in Hong Kong, not a great many people are choosing Hong Kong as the place to go these days.

At least Hong Kong is slashing their prices, at least for now. If Thai owned hotels aren't getting customers, I wouldn't be surprised if they do what so many Thai owned businesses do - raise their prices . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:36 am Have I missed something?
In the first sentence I mention airlines slashing prices to Hong Kong and two airlines axing services to Hong Kong. I thought it was clear that the "plus side" referred also to Hong Kong. But if I was not clear, then the hotels are indeed all Hong Kong hotels.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Hong Kong AIrlines is in further trouble resulting both from the on-going protests and the rise in the price of oil. It has undertaken a flight cancellation programme that will see 1 in 10 available tickets withdrawn.
“Travel demand has declined sharply due to recurring issues in Hong Kong. In response to the current market conditions, we have temporarily reduced our capacity,” a spokeswoman for Hong Kong Airlines said.
So far, only short haul flights are affected.
Recently, the airline has been cancelling flights on an ad hoc basis, which a source said would form the basis of how it would trim its flying schedule. A flight each to Sapporo, Hanoi and Male, in the Maldives, was cancelled on August 14. By August 15, a Sapporo and Seoul flight was axed. On August 16, a Hanoi and a Male flight did not fly.
WIth the cancellations on an "ad hoc basis" I would not be booking a business class transpacific flight over the next few months no matter how inexpensive. Much will depend on the carrier's terms and conditions of carriage. If it is obliged to transport passengers on a specific route, I suppose it might just cancel one flight and put passengers on the next day's flight. Or offer a refund, which is little use when it leaves passengers having to purchase much more expensive last minute tickets on other airlines.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/pol ... -take-toll
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

A good warning but for whatever reason there is now a glut of seats to Thailand from the USA. Still lots of $500 fares in October and amazingly even $500+ seats from NYC which is just ridiculously low. Certainly a great time for a budget traveller to visit Thailand.

Also $2400+ Business Class seats to/from NYC which is just unheard of and not Hong Kong Air. in either case.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I've often wondered exactly how much of their income/net assets people are prepared to spend on upgrading to Business class.
However, I view it as a bit of an awkward topic, since it's not the done thing to discuss other people's income/assets and I don't discuss my own either.

Obviously, if my bank balance resembled that of Bill Gates, it would be First Class or private jets every time. The downside of such wealth might be having the papparazi following one around Sunee Plaza. Not a problem I have to deal with.
There is no way I would be like the founder of Ikea, worth billions and allegedly always flying economy class.

Lets say someone was retired on a rather healthy income of ~ $100,000 per annum, well that bargain $2400 business class flight is still the equivalent of 8 days income. If after living very comfortably and being able to absorb foreseeable medical expenses and exchange rate movements, that person is living well within their income, perhaps it might make sense to splash out on business class flights.

I suspect that's somewhere near the level where it's worth thinking about. $100k per annum = £80,000 GBP. Or if living off invested assets at a "safe withdrawal rate" of 4%, £2 million worth of investments. Obviously 4% isn't always a "safe" withdrawal rate. Also, age comes into it, since a 50 year old has to think about stretching the money over a longer time frame than (say) a 75 year old from a family without a history of longevity.
Plus factors like whatever else people prefer to spend money on.

I don't fly business class, but sometimes go for Premium Economy if the price is right.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I'm not sure there is any way to answer that . If you own your house or condo and you own you car , then you have a lot more disposable income than someone who is paying a big mortgage and car payments even if retired. Also if you live in a state that I do ,real estate taxes are reduced to almost nothing over the age of 65.Hard to get hurt by inflation if most of your disposable income is going towards food and entertainment. Also makes a difference what sort medical insurance you have.

I got used to Business Class by piling up miles when Company was paying and then in the US, credit card companies give these ridiculous bonuses in miles when you apply for their credit cards. And I have applied for all of them. Never did understand why only US residents have access to these CC bonuses.

As a result since retirement 8 years ago, all but one of my numerous International flights have been basically free in Business Class. I did pay once for a trip to South Africa because I just could not find any flights for miles and by then I was too used to Business Class , to sit in economy. Luckily I found a pretty good fare on Qatar.

But i probably still have enough miles for 6 RT flights International Flights.

That is why I keep looking because if I find a fare low enough, I might just save my miles by paying for a ticket every once awhile.
Jun

Post by Jun »

firecat69 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:44 pm I got used to Business Class by piling up miles when Company was paying and then in the US, credit card companies give these ridiculous bonuses in miles when you apply for their credit cards.
This I understand. Business class "for free" must seem like a good idea.

As for credit card deals, well if I'm not mistaken, the credit card operators charge the retailers less than 2%. Let's round up to 2% and ignore the running costs, so I can work this out without the calculator. So to fund a $2400 air fare, they need $120,000 worth of spend on the credit card. So I tend to agree with you that the bonuses are ridiculous, which probably also explains why such deals are not available in other countries.

Even though it's none of my damn business, I'm intrigued to know how others rationalise paying so much extra for a 12~18 hour flight.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I don't think they pay that much. My favorite are Chase Cards . You get bonus of miles to the Brand. So for instance I got a number of cards linked to United Airlines. Great company because they are part of the Star Alliance which has lots of partners ..My flights were mostly on EVA, ANA ,Asiana, etc . So I spend $5000 in 4 months and I get 100,000 mile and then every $ spent is another point which you can convert to miles. I think I got 6 various Chase Cards , some private and some business cards. As long as your credit rates good , i was never refused or even questioned.

Its not like you get to fly any day you want. You have to be semi retired or retired so you are flexible. So in most cases the seat would have been empty anyways. I don't pretend to fully understand but I understand how to take advantage of it. If I knew I was going to visit Bangkok during high season , I would start looking for flights months in advance.

Same thing with Hotels. At one time I had a Million Points with Hilton. When I was visiting Bangkok regularly , I would use a points and cash option which allowed me to stay in the best Hiltons for about $40 and some points of which I had plenty. Same thing with Marriot.

I used to get shit for staying in such nice Hotels on some Boards but most members could not understand I was paying less in dollars then budget hotels would cost me.. Yes I had to take taxis back to my Hotel. Big Deal.

Anyways it has allowed me to go all over the world in Business Class for the last 8-10 years for much less money then an economy ticket.

I made lots of trips to Thailand in economy before I started doing this . When I was flying NW airlines I would be able to reserve a seat next to one of the boarding doors. At least I always had unlimited room with no seat in front of me . Of course I was a little skinnier then. HeHe