Retirement extension

Anything and everything about Thailand
Smiles

Re: Retirement extension

Post by Smiles »

" ... Until we get reports from folks on their personal experience at Immigration - either trying to show TW receipts as proof and/or getting a confirming letter from the intermediary bank - what they will do or accept is an unknown ... "
I'm off to the den of wolves sometime next week and will post here what happens. This, my favourite annual joy, will of course may not be a Pattaya style excursion as I go to Hua Hin Imm ... and my smaller town often is a bit more laid back, almost easy going!

My number one route - and definitely my preference - will be the Canadian Embassy notorised Letter of Income . . . (The CA ex-pats embassy still provides such letters, and have heard by a number of CA ex pats that HH Imm accepts them.)

If that doesn't fly I'll pull out the 800,000 Baht nonsense, i.e. #2 route.

Will let you know . . .
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Smiles

Post by Smiles »

As promised above: my annual Extension is now sitting in my grubby (large/Trumplike) hands.

Where did this happen?: At the newly opened Hua Hin Immigration Office. (That would be the 5th home of this particular office.)

What did I take with me?:

(1) My passport (check).
(2) A complete photocopy of the passport's many innards (check).
(3) A head shot of my handsomeness ~ some would say. (check).
(4) A notorised Letter of Income from the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok. (check).
(5) An Immigration TM-7 Form showing how much I love Thailand and would never leave. (check)
(6) A small map showing where our home is located.

And those dear friends are all The Lady Imm wrote. She totally ignored the rest below.

The Outsiders:

(7) A notorised letter from my bank (Krungthai) showing 800,000 Baht in my account, and which had been sitting there for 3 months. (check): "Not need"
(8) A Immigration TM-30 Form showing my (and you-know-who) whereabouts of my lodgings in HH. (check) "Not need. Have map"
(9) Immigration TM-47 Form showing my love for the number "90". (I was very close to my 90-day so I added that into the pile). (check) "Not need. In computer" (check).

The last 3 were immediately scrubbed and thrown in the waste basket. Uh? All "Not needers" she said.

Time spent at Hua Hin Immigration: from walking upstairs, have a sit down, get called over to "Khun Not-Needer", lots of stamping going on, takes my 1900 Baht, short wait for my passport, walk downstairs ... 15 minutes. I kid you not.

POSTSCRIPT: Granted ... the place had only 3 other customers. The staff looked rather tired. Hua Hin might CERTAINLY be off a different group than ~ for instance ~ Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai. I have little knowledge of those places Immigration-wise.
I still would recommend taking more "stuff" than less. This is my story, at this time. It may well be different next year. And of course there is a small number of Embassies who have stopped issuing notorised letters of income. Unfair, but that's the way it is ... a pain in the ass for the them I'm sure.
One thing I'll be doing here in Hua Hin will be going in the afternoon rather than mornings. No more crunch-time for me.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:55 pm A notorised Letter of Income from the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok. (check).
Did you have to show the embassy any form of actual proof of income?
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

" ... Did you have to show the embassy any form of actual proof of income? ... "

Yes.
At my first ever Embassy run ~ 10 years ago now ~ I brought along every financial document I could think of but the kitchen sink.
I ended up with the income letter, but I asked the Embassy Notary what 'proof' is the gold standard ... just because I found it a bit annoying carrying kitchen sinks up to the 15th floor.
The Notary said "absolutely ... just bring in your latest Tax Return". And that's what I've been doing ever since.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:19 pm The Notary said "absolutely ... just bring in your latest Tax Return".
I wish the USA embassy would do the same. It certainly would solve a great many problems. Considering they always just took people's word for it when it came to the income amount specified on the affidavits, I would think they could accept a legitimate income tax return without question.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:10 pm
Smiles wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:19 pm The Notary said "absolutely ... just bring in your latest Tax Return".
I wish the USA embassy would do the same. It certainly would solve a great many problems. Considering they always just took people's word for it when it came to the income amount specified on the affidavits, I would think they could accept a legitimate income tax return without question.
You would think so but they don't.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Under the new rules effective Jan 1 for those using the 65k+ monthly income method, if your Embassy/Consulate continues to issue the "certification" letter, that is all you need for proof of meeting the requirement - it is only those of us whose Embassy/Consulate no longer issues such certification (UK, USA, Australia) that must show documents to prove we transfer at least 65k monthly into our Thai bank accounts.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I just renewed my Retirement Extension today in Jomtien and was in-and-out in less than 20 minutes, and that included my 90 day reporting.

I applied using the 65k/month income method. My direct deposits didn't start until February so I only had 8 direct deposits in a Thai bank account versus the 12 deposits they are requesting. After reviewing all of the documentation I was approved, all of which took 10 minutes. I have to return to immigration tomorrow to pick up my visa with the new extension stamp in it.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I went into immigration several months ago and spoke with the commander about the 12 monthly deposits requirement. After our brief discussion, he said I should be OK in September when I returned as long as the deposits continued and were reported accordingly.

Lenience with the 65k method was in fact applied - and all done in a very courteous and supportive manner. I couldn't have asked for more.

Note, that when I arrived at immigration this morning I was prepared to speak with the commander again, but was reassured by the guy (named Bon) who stamps all the visa's, that that wouldn't be necessary. He then requested all of my documents, including the bank statement showing 8 monthly foreign deposits, After having me sign all of the documents he requested the 1,900 baht fee, and told me I could pick up my passport tomorrow. I didn't even have to wait for a queue or speak with a clerk.

My 90 day reporting took less than a minute.

I would suggest that anyone using the 65k monthly income method who will not have 12 consecutive deposits at the time of renewing your visa extension, to visit immigration a few months early (if possible) and speak to the immigration commander (colonel) about this ahead of time. At least that's what I did and worked without a hitch. The last thing I would do is ask a clerk about this. They are not decision makers - they are simply pencil pushers.
puan

Post by puan »

Dodger, congrats on the renewal. I am curious....did they review or ask for TM30 information?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

puan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:03 pm Dodger, congrats on the renewal. I am curious....did they review or ask for TM30 information?
Thanks puan.

Funny you should ask this. Right when Bon was finished approving my visa extension I asked him about this. My exact words were "Will I have to be concerned about this TM30 nonsense because I travel a lot"? He simply looked up at me, smiled, and said the word "Hotels." You can interpret that any way you choose, but I interpreted this as meaning there is nothing for retired expats to be concerned with, unless you own a hotel.