Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:02 am I am an expat in Thailand and starting to regret my decision and looking for alternative countries.
"The day I don't like living in Thailand anymore, I know where the airport is."
- Geezer
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

SP55 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:02 am I think the video has a lot of good points that should be considered before moving here. I am an expat in Thailand and starting to regret my decision and looking for alternative countries.
Can you give us more details why you are starting to regret your decision to live in Thailand ?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

SP55 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:02 am I think the video has a lot of good points that should be considered before moving here. I am an expat in Thailand and starting to regret my decision and looking for alternative countries.
I am happy you found the video useful :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The gentleman from England I was talking about earlier on this thread who just departed Thailand rather abruptly, filled the air with his complaints about Thailand for the two years I knew him. Ironically, he complained about the very same things that I'm hearing about now on this thread i.e, cost of health care being too high, lousy exchange rates, visa hassles, western food being too expensive, etc., etc., but, in reality, the reason he left Thailand had nothing to do with any of these things. He simply left because he didn't have enough income to qualify for his visa extension. It's like the baseball player who lied about his batting average to make the team, and then complains nonstop about every trivial thing imaginable after he suspects the coach is going to bench him because he can't hit the ball.

I'm not suggesting that everyone who is complaining about Thailand falls in the same category, but I do find it interesting that some of the trivial things that some farang are complaining about now, didn't seem to bother them in the past, certainly not enough to leave the country.

Two posters here have alluded to the fact that being alone in Thailand when suffering some major medical catastrophe (or, kicking the bucket), is a major reason for leaving Thailand. I almost shit when I read this. What in the hell are people thinking when they retire in a third-world country, or for that fact, any country, when it comes time to hop on that big mystery ship in the sky'? I just can't imagine anyone deciding to retire to live in a foreign land without fully considering this before making the move.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Dodger wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:08 pm Two posters here have eluded to the fact that being alone in Thailand when suffering some major medical catastrophe (or, kicking the bucket), is a major reason for leaving Thailand. I almost shit when I read this. What in the hell are people thinking when they retire in a third-world country, or for that fact, any country, when it comes time to hop on that big mystery ship in the sky'?
Gee, I can't think of a better place to be if/when I become infirm. The Thais I know readily accept the responsibilities of caring for the aged. In the US I think our fate is to be farmed out to some cloistered "retirement care" facility and pretty much ignored by the outside world. Here, the doddering elderly remain part of the community and family with full support from the younger. While not a factor in my decision to retire in Thailand, my future care is a plus, not a negative.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:08 pm filled the air with his complaints about Thailand
I don't see anything wrong with complaining. I complain all the time. Most of my complaining is about things I believe belong on my "I Don't Get It" list. And that list constantly grows. But if complaints get people upset and/or frustrated to the point they can no longer enjoy life in Thailand, then that's when to pack up and go elsewhere - and I don't know anywhere in the world where there won't be things to complain about.

RichLB wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm Gee, I can't think of a better place to be if/when I become infirm.
Neither can I. I don't know where this stuff about second rate medical care is coming from. People travel from all over the world, for example, to go to Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok. And that is by far not the only excellent hospital in Thailand.

You are also absolutely right about the way Thai people take care of the elderly and infirm. Of course, that depends on whether a meaningful relationship has been established. Given the choice between living with a caring Thai family, even if it's out in the boondocks, compared to ending up in an American nursing home, guess which one I'll take.

Along with that, there are several excellent elderly care facilities in Thailand and they're not even very expensive. If you don't think so, just ask Geezer.

I'm sticking with Thailand as long as Thailand will have me, which I hope will be the rest of what's left of my life.
a447

Post by a447 »

I find it hard to believe that someone would choose to live full-time in a country where they cannot eat the local food and need to pay for expensive "western" food, whatever that is.

If I could not eat the local fare most of the time, I wouldn't choose to live there. For me, food is a deal- breaker.

But to each his own, I guess.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

a447 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:16 pm If I could not eat the local fare most of the time, I wouldn't choose to live there. For me, food is a deal- breaker.
If you live in BKK, Pattaya, CM. etc. there are so many international restaurants that if Thai food was not your thing you would have little problem finding alternatives to the “local fare”.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote: Two posters here have alluded to the fact that being alone in Thailand when suffering some major medical catastrophe (or, kicking the bucket)
“Kicking the bucket” is the easy part however, a medical catastrophe such as a major stroke are two different things. I know you and your b/f. Do you really think he would be capable of caring long term for you?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:25 pm Do you really think he would be capable of caring long term for you?
Also, there is a big difference between capable and willing. Some boys will care for the farang because their relationship is truly genuine. Some just abandon the farang. Some simply can't do it. Some will care out of gratitude, but grudgingly.

"One can get very tired of gratitude."
- Marlene Dietrich (Christine), 'Witness for the Prosecution'