Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by Trongpai »

Firecat, That all sounds like a sound and well thought out financial decision but what about a sex life? What sort of a sex life can a 65 year old man have in Atlanta or any western country?
gera

Post by gera »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:59 pm
gera wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:07 pm Actually I spend much more in Thailand than in USA.
I can't help but wonder what you're spending it on . . .
Nothing special: both bf and I share passion for movies, eating out etc. I prefer western food which is much more expensive in Thailand than in USA.
Believe it or not transportation is not cheap either (we use Grab only :no more motorbikes or songteows...Other small things like bills for condo
( I pay for electricity in small condo more than similar bill in US for the big house) add up...
a447

Post by a447 »

The freedom to be openly gay in certain areas of Thailand, plus the ready availability of sex, and the delicious food are the attractions of Thailand for me.

But I would not consider retiring there, as I want to live in an advanced society which can provide me with all my wants and needs. Thailand can't do that.

It is much easier for me to just visit. I don't have any visa hassles and am free to come and go whenever I want. Plus I would hate to give up all my friends here and I enjoy living in a large house with a big garden. And I much prefer the weather at home - week after week of cloudless blue skies and mostly mild temperatures.

I must admit that years ago in a moment of madness I did consider buying a condo in Pattaya. I came to my senses just in time.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:16 pm I prefer western food which is much more expensive in Thailand than in USA.
I don't know where you eat, but if you say that, then you definitely don't come from the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

I did consider in the past to retire in Pattaya but not anymore :
1. Too much hassle and confusion on the retirement visa nowadays.
2. Healthcare in Thailand are more expensive and not at the same standard as in my country.
3. Culture and lifestyle standard are higher at my country.
4. Culture difference is too much for me in all my trips and long time vacations in Thailand I still can't understand the culture and the logic of Thailand although I speak a little Thai but it's not help much.
5. Thailand becoming more and more expensive and less attractive for my budget as a retired person.
6. I will have to leave my friends and family and as an elder if my health will deteriorate nobody will take care of me it's a very important issue that many prefer to ignore and think about it.

I could add more reasons but this are the main ones.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Obviously you’ve thought it through, for me #6 would be the most important and yes I should think about it as I have no appetite for a relationship and little family. Those that I know who are in a relationship here frankly I can’t see their partners very helpful if they had a medical catastrophe.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:59 pm
gera wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:16 pm I prefer western food which is much more expensive in Thailand than in USA.
I don't know where you eat, but if you say that, then you definitely don't come from the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area.
Agree with Gaybutton; western food in Thailand much cheaper than in USA.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

For me,life in Thailand is superior to my home country, except for health care. And if one has the money then even health care is not too bad in Thailand.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Trongpai wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:41 pm Firecat, That all sounds like a sound and well thought out financial decision but what about a sex life? What sort of a sex life can a 65 year old man have in Atlanta or any western country?
It was just part of the decision since even if I had moved to Thailand, I would have continued what I do now. There is plenty of Sex all over the world and the Apps have made it so easy. Brazil, Colombia, Mexico ,Portugal, Spain and many other places , all of which are pretty short plane rides for me from Atlanta. In fact as always Thailand was the longest travel time by far whether I was in Montreal or Atlanta or Los Angeles.

So yes it was a consideration and I decided it was a lot cheaper to make 2 and once in awhile 3 , 60 day trips to Thailand . And as I have gotten older I quite enjoy 5 or 6 hour flights vs 23 hours or more to get to Thailand . Thus Thailand next year will probably be only 1 60 day trip.and possibly none .

As with any of these decisions , it is very personal and there is no right thing for everyone. Like I said if not for the financial melt down in the USA, I would now be happily living in Thailand.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

I think the video has a lot of good points that should be considered before moving here. I am an expat in Thailand and starting to regret my decision and looking for alternative countries.