Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:41 am
Dodger wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:31 am I'm also not sure about the objectives of the "Good Guys In - Bad Guys Out" initiative. Is it intended to rid Thailand of those with criminal intent, or is it also intended to rid Thailand of farang with low incomes?
I think that both are the objectives of this "initiative", among other things. And if you look at it technically, those living in Thailand under false income pretenses are living here with criminal intent.
I agree.

I've always felt that any farang who provided false information to their embassy to obtain a Thai visa was playing with fire, and no one can blame Thailand for that.

I guess what bothers me the most, is the fact that the Bad Guys (criminals, and those with criminal intent) can still obtain or renew their visa's simply by paying money to one of these rogue Visa Agencies, who, without question, are linked to people inside of Immigration. It's totally impossible for a Visa Agency to approve a visa. They can take your money and orchestrate the approval, but someone from inside Immigration, and only Immigration, can approve and/or renew visas. This corrupt money-making charade has been going on forever, and if Thailand was really serious about getting the Bad Guys out they would A) stop approving criminals visas, and B) start arresting those who are committing criminal acts within the Immigration operations. If they really want the bad guys out - they have to get them all out. It's all, or none. Plain and simple.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:55 am I wish the ambassadors would pressure Thailand about this because I doubt Thailand will make any significant changes or perhaps make things even worse without such pressure. But as far as I can tell, the ambassadors don't want to make waves and also don't give a damn.
The British Embassy doesn't give a damn! I wrote twice requesting that at least it put the points I raised on the table with Thai Immigration. I never asked them to get anything changed, merely to point out issues Immigration may not have considered. My two replies were complete jingoistic nonsense. Neither answered my requests. Both merely pointed out that it was not up to the Embassy to open any discussion with Thai Immigration about its visa procedures. Patently that is a barefaced lie. Throughout 2018 all it did was meet with Thai immigration to discuss its visa procedures!

Stubborn as I am, I wrote to the address in London they gave me for complaints against Embassy staff. I have not yet had any reply. Whatever comes back will merely repeat what i have been told, I am sure. Yet more lies.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

The discussion is very interesting to me as I contemplate:

(1) Whether or not I should retire; and

(2) If I do retire, where I should go and what I should do.

Thanks for the discussion!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:59 pm If I do retire, where I should go and what I should do.
Don't let posts on this or any other message board make your decision for you. If you are seriously considering retiring in Thailand, I suggest coming to live in Thailand for about 6 months, if possible. That way you will have enough experience as a resident, rather than coming for a holiday, and can reasonably decide for yourself if living in Thailand is for you.

Make sure you leave yourself a way out and can simply pack your luggage, leave Thailand, and go back home, or wherever else, if you eventually decide for yourself you don't want to live in Thailand.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:11 pm Don't let posts on this or any other message board make your decision for you. If you are seriously considering retiring in Thailand, I suggest coming to live in Thailand for about 6 months
I agree, you must test the water before you take the plunge however, I don’t see under the new rules how you can stay 6 months without a 1 yr. retirement visa? In the old days it was easy get a 2 month visa get a 30 day extension leave the country do the same again........those days are long gone!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

The more I think about this discussion the more I think I would discourage anyone who is put off by immigration requirements from retiring here. If an income of 65K baht is a real issue I think you might think about what quality of life you would have with such limited resources. Sure, you could eke out a living on 65K a month, but what kind of living would you have? Food, housing and transportation costs won't leave you with much to enjoy yourself. Socially you might find yourself wanting, as well. Most farang will not want to limit themselves to going out to places within your budget - and Thais are likely to shy away from someone who out of necessity is "kee neo". And constantly worrying about the costs of inevitable health issues would create ongoing anxiety. Thailand is not an expensive country to retire in, but it is not for the refuse from other countries either. I don't want to pour cold water on anyone's plans, but do think about your finances first.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

RichLB wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:54 pm I don't want to pour cold water on anyone's plans, but do think about your finances first.
Finances, age and general health condition.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:11 pm Don't let posts on this or any other message board make your decision for you.
Yes, of course, you are correct. I understand this very well.

Being a world traveler since my childhood, I am well aware that living in a place and visiting a place are very different.

I have never lived in Thailand for much more than a month at a time. I would NOT make any decisions about retiring in Thailand or any other place before I have had extended periods of residence in that place.

Many factors would come into play about what to do: health situation, financial situation, love life, etc. etc.

If I sold my property in Switzerland, I would have a significant nest egg, but I am reluctant to do such. At this point, I cannot contemplate returning to my Switzerland permanently, but who knows how I might feel in 10 years.

[In the past, I had rented out my property in Switzerland, but I will not do such in the future. My last tenants, even though I had carefully checked out their background, caused all sorts of problems (which are too complicated and boring to discuss here).]

I am still working, and enjoy most of my projects.

But I continue to think about retiring, and have learned a lot from reading the discussions on this forum.

Of course, I take all comments on this and other forums "with a grain of salt" , as Americans would say.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

RichLB wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:54 pm The more I think about this discussion the more I think I would discourage anyone who is put off by immigration requirements from retiring here. If an income of 65K baht is a real issue I think you might think about what quality of life you would have with such limited resources. Sure, you could eke out a living on 65K a month, but what kind of living would you have? Food, housing and transportation costs won't leave you with much to enjoy yourself.
I'm not so sure I would discourage someone from retiring here if they had a 65,000 baht/month income, for the mere fact that a person can live a high quality life in Thailand for less than that. I know, because I'm doing it.

On average, the cost of food, housing, and transportation is much less than most country's in the West, and if a person does a good job with the up-front planning, there's no reason why he couldn't enjoy a great life over here on a 65,000 THB budget.

I receive over 65,000/month, although consistently spend less than that... add the balance to my savings every month....and enjoy a fun, healthy and quality lifestyle. I guess it all depends on a person's personal interests, hobbies, spending habits, etc., and of course their level of control over the 3 Deadly "B''s. BEER...BARS...BOYS.. Admittedly, If I was still consumed with the nightlife and living the life of a Butterfly I could (and did) blow over 65,000 baht in a single week. If I still thrived on that lifestyle I would never have retired.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:39 pm I'm not so sure I would discourage someone from retiring here if they had a 65,000 baht/month income, for the mere fact that a person can live a high quality life in Thailand for less than that. I know, because I'm doing it.
Yes, but that's too much of a blanket statement. There is a big difference between living on less than 65,000 baht per month because you choose to as opposed to you have to.

Then, when talking about living on less than 65,000 baht per month, the question is how much less?

And perhaps not everyone would consider the high quality life you're living as similar to the lifestyle they would want.

One thing, though - I think 65,000 baht per month, which is the equivalent of around US $2100 at current exchange rates, would go a lot further in Thailand than it would in the USA, unless you're living in the backwaters of a Louisiana bayou or an Appalachian poverty stricken town or something - and maybe $2100 wouldn't go very far even then.