Stay Hydrated in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Stay Hydrated in Thailand

Post by Jun »

Bangkokian wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:23 amI HAVE seen it more than once on UK TV.
As most wise & curious people realise, there is all sorts of trash on TV. Much of it backed up with no data. Reading is a better way to learn.

Any reputable information source will NOT recommend drinking alcoholic beverages to cure dehydration. Try the NHS website for a start.
Or this: https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-informati ... g-hydrated
Bangkokian wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:23 am Tell me are you a doctor?

Are you a doctor ?
What relevance does this question have ?

christianpfc wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:52 am A word from a chemist (me!) on the so-called "water quality tester". From reading the article by Richard Barrow, I guess it measures conductivity and calculates amount of dissolved ions. That says very little about water quality! Other than distinguishing fresh water from salt water, this number is pointless in judging potability of water! It does not measure bacteria, pesticide, acid/base, suspended solids.
Correct (of course).
These "total dissolved solid" meters have 2 probes and give a single number based on conductivity. So not a reliable pollution test.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Bangkokian wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:23 am
Jun wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 pm Saying beer counts towards your fluid intake is ludicrous.
You may have not seen this (and many others may not too) but that is irrelevant.
I HAVE seen it more than once on UK TV.

Tell me are you a doctor?
Bangkokian,

The link below explains the reason why beer can cause dehydration.

https://alcoholmastery.com/does-beer-hy ... -the-body/
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Water is not enough when outdoors in very hot weather. You also need to replace electrolytes lost through sweating. ORS (Oral Rehydration Salts) are available from all pharmacies for about 5-7 baht per sachet. They don't just contain common salt - there is a small amount of potassium in there which helps avoid cramping. (It is also essential for nerve function).
A very, very bad sign is if you are not sweating at all, or hardly at all, drink water and immediately sweat profusely. It means you are severely dehydrated to the point where your body is no longer producing much sweat and is therefore overheating. Get indoors, or at least in the shade, immediately, and drink a lot of water and replacement electrolyte. (I have been in this situation once, in 45 degree plus temperatures)
If anyone actually passes out from dehydration they are a medical emergency and should be taken to hospital at once - even if they come round.
If you are outdoors on a very hot day, keep an eye on the people you are with. As with any condition that can cause disorientation, the effects of dehydraton are often less apparent to the victim than it is to others.
A slight disagreement with something Fountainhall said above. Vomiting and diarrhoea are not symptoms of dehydration, but causes of it. You most certainly need to treat for dehydration, but it will not cure the underlying condition, which may stlll need addressing.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

ceejay wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:15 pm Water is not enough when outdoors in very hot weather. You also need to replace electrolytes lost through sweating.
ceejay,

You made some very good points.

The electrolyte packets cost 7 baht per packet at 7/11, although there is a store on Pattaya Tai in the Wat Chai Market that sells a box with 100 count for 400 baht (4 baht per packet). One box lasts me 3 months.

I wish I could tell you the name of the store but can't remember. It's on the same side of Pattaya Tai as Tukcom and down near the end before you reach the school. Maybe somebody else here knows.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 am Maybe somebody else here knows.
I don't know that particular pharmacy, but what I do know is virtually every pharmacy carries electrolytes.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:04 am
Dodger wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 am Maybe somebody else here knows.
I don't know that particular pharmacy, but what I do know is virtually every pharmacy carries electrolytes.
Yes, but the place I go to is not a pharmacy - it sells bulk supplies of health stuff like electrolytes. The prices there are typically lower than the pharmacy's but you have to buy in bulk. When I go there I park my motorbike in front of the second 7/11 in Wat Chai and it's a just a stone's throw from there. These places all look the same to me.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

How far is a stone's throw? A "stone" weighs 14 lbs so it might be difficult to throw it very far.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Whilst Ceejay is correct regarding replacement of electrolytes, a couple of other points need to be considered:

1 I checked the ingredients of one of the commonly sold Thai electrolyte packages: Glucose, sodium citrate, potassium, natural orange.
Effectively sugar, salt and some orange. [I presume the potassium is supplied as a compound, considering how it behaves as an element]

2 I would suspect the average person here gets more than enough sugar & salt from their standard diet and would be better off not touching electrolytes. There may be individuals who are an exception & that's my estimate, not fact.
However, if a lab test was done on a random sample of 100 farang in Thailand who drink sufficient water, I would be prepared to bet large sums of money on the "no electrolyte required" outcome for at least 80 of them.
With the diet many of us have, the last thing we need to do is add sugar.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Jun wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:28 pm Whilst Ceejay is correct regarding replacement of electrolytes, a couple of other points need to be considered:

1 I checked the ingredients of one of the commonly sold Thai electrolyte packages: Glucose, sodium citrate, potassium, natural orange.
Effectively sugar, salt and some orange. [I presume the potassium is supplied as a compound, considering how it behaves as an element]

2 I would suspect the average person here gets more than enough sugar & salt from their standard diet and would be better off not touching electrolytes.
Quite possibly true most of the time. Not true if you are out of doors in very hot weather, sweating profusely, and drinking copious amounts of pure water. That leaches the electrolytes out of your system very quickly. You do not, generally, have much in the way of reserves because your body's homeostatic mechanisms eliminate any surplus pretty rapidly.
The potassium is usually present as chloride. It prevents muscle cramping.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I happened to notice this in the Hong Kong paper this morning. The 2nd para is of interest. I assume it refers to external body temperature. I wonder if anyone knows what precisely this means? Should we be carrying around wet towels to keep the skin moist in extreme heat?