Hong Kong: What’s Going On?

fountainhall

Re: Hong Kong: What’s Going On?

Post by fountainhall »

I'd be interested to know the reason for the unrest amongst Taiwan students. My friends there all would like to see independence for Taiwan but accept the reality of the situation re China. After all, ever since Nixon's visit to China in 1972, the USA and virtually all nations have accepted the one-China policy. As I have written elsewhere, I believe international law is on China's side since the agreements entered into by leaders during the 2nd World War, including by Chiang Kai Shek, were that Japan's conquered possessions would be returned to the countries which originally ruled them. Taiwan was ruled by China for around 250 years before the Japanese invasion. Of course, the USA and others believed that Chiang would return to rule all of China. No-one at that time expected Chiang to lose the Civil War to Mao. And as soon as the communists took over, the lament went up in Washington, "Who lost China?" Hence the movement to recognise Chiang's quasi government in Taiwan.

The Taiwan government has expressed support for the Hong Kong students and other protestors. Is that what Taiwan students object to? Or is it because the opposition Kuomintang Party had a decisive win in the countrywide elections last November - and the KMT's declared policy remains unification with China. Is it a result of China's meddling in Taiwan affairs by openly supporting the KMT against the present government?

As for a Chinese invasion, my own view is that this will never happen - at least in the lifetimes of most of us. I am certain there would be heavy resistance and no doubt massive loss of life. But whatever the rhetoric coming out of Beijing, it is often little more than that. It has other means to bring Taiwan to its knees if that is ultimately what it wants.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Ahead of today's planned general strike, Hong Kong protestors have again taken to hitting the city's transport. Trains on the MTR subway have again been delayed. But the airport has also been targeted and more than 200 fights have been cancelled. Last week, airport workers stopped work and held their own sit in to show solidarity with the protestors.

There has been discussion about the People's Liberation Army holding exercises close to the border and warnings from Beijing that the PLA will be used if necessary. What that will achieve I fail to comprehend. Virtually all sections of Hong Kong society have been involved with the protests. Tanks could prevent street protests, but Hong Kong is a vastly larger area that Tiananmen Square. The students 30 years ago could hardly go on strike as it would have had little effect on the economy. But if Hong Kong people were to start a general strike and continue it until the PLA departed, it would bring the city to a complete halt and Beijing would be totally unable to do anything about it.

I have to be in Hong Kong next week. I hope I will be able to get around with relative ease!
werner99

Post by werner99 »

fountainhall wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:16 am
I have to be in Hong Kong next week. I hope I will be able to get around with relative ease!
Please do provide an update about the situation.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:16 am I have to be in Hong Kong next week. I hope I will be able to get around with relative ease!
Seems like an awfully dangerous time to be going to Hong Kong, assuming you can even get there. And once you're there, you'll still have to get to and from the airport.

If you do get there, I hope you can get out again.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Sorry - I am actually there in 2 weeks time, not next week. I booked the air tickets and hotel a couple of months ago and they are non refundable and non-endorsable. Fortunately both my hotel and office are not in any protest area. It's the shopping that concerns me a bit. I have to get my large round of Stilton and various other items from a supermarket and shops in the centre. The protests seem to start around noon and so if there are any near there, doing my shopping early should mean I avoid any trouble.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

With yet another huge protest at the airport today, all outgoing flights from 18:00 have been cancelled. Inbound flights that have already departed from their port of origin will not be affected.
In a statement on Monday afternoon, Hong Kong's Airport Authority said they were cancelling all flights that were not yet checked in.

More than 160 flights scheduled to leave after 18:00 local time (10:00 GMT) will now not depart.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49317975
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The idiocy (and I use that word deliberately) of the present Hong Kong government was on full display on Sunday when the embattled Chief Executive addressed a youth rally.
“My colleagues and I will be more patient to get in touch with youth from different classes to listen to their voices,” she said in Mandarin. “We hope that we can fight together to build a better Hong Kong.”
First, she has shown zero interest in engaging with the city's young people at any time during more than two months of protests. Second, she spoke in Mandarin which is the dialect of Beijing compared to the local Cantonese dialect. This woman has not had one clue how to handle the present situation since it started. Her government has been totally reactive - never proactive/ And now it is too late!

This photo from the South China Morning Post illustrates a woman with a bucketload of massive problems on her mind and totally out of her depth.

Photo: Nora Tam/SCMP

Compare that with a photo at the time of her election in March 2017

Photo: CFP
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

With all the flight cancellations, assuming it is even going to be possible to get there, are you still going to make that Hong Kong trip? This seems to me to be the wrong time to be traveling to Hong Kong.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I am definitely planning to go. I don't believe the airport will be closed down again. The Airport Authority will make sure of that. As for the city, Hong Kong is a large place and the protests have been confined to a small number of areas. initially they were focused on the Central District where the government offices and Legislative Council building are located. Now they have spread out but none of the protests has been close to where my hotel is. Even if the MRT is disrupted, my hotel is on the tram line and I enjoy the leisurely tram rides to my office there.

If I were going there for sightseeing, I might think twice. For business and the areas I will mostly visit, I am not concerned.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Looking at CNN, it seems I was premature in suggesting that the airport would be protected. A small number of protestors camped overnight in the Arrivals Hall and many more are expected in the afternoon. As usual in these demonstrations, the police are nowhere to be seen. Presumably they will appear at a later stage and start using the sort of ugly force we have seen in recent days.

If the runways are closed again, there is no way the government can permit this to continue. It is not only the disruption to passengers and tourism. Hong Kong is by far the world's largest cargo airport - and much of the cargo is perishable.