Retirement extension

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Retirement extension

Post by Dodger »

GB: Thanks for the update and glad to hear things went as smooth as they did.

So far, from the reports we're getting, it appears as if Immigration is handling this situation the right way.

I think you would have found the queue a lot shorter if you went on Tuesday through Thursday as Monday's and Friday's are always really busy.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:59 pm I think you would have found the queue a lot shorter if you went on Tuesday through Thursday as Monday's and Friday's are always really busy.
NOW you tell me . . .

Actually I did want to go yesterday, Thursday, but the immigration office was closed.

At least I got it over with and won't have to worry about it again for a year. Of course, for some strange reason, at my age years go by a hell of a lot faster than they used to.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

As an afterthought, when you retrieve your passport with your new visa, you might want to get your 90-day address report out of the way at the same time, since you're already there. And 3 months later when you're supposed to return with your updated bank passbook, you can get that and the address report taken care of at the same time.

If you are among the people who immigration wants to return with an updated bank passbook, using the same bank and passbook you used to renew your visa using the 800,000 baht method, keep the sheet they had you sign that shows the date you're supposed to return to immigration. They don't put anything in your passport about it.

I don't know if it is necessary, but I'm going to take that sheet with me when I go to show the bank passbook. It certainly can't hurt anything to carry one sheet of paper with you.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

A friend in Chiang Mai says he just checked with Chiang Mai immigration because his extension is due in July. He was told they will not accept the combo method. They will only accept the full 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account.

He had an idea that he could send 65,000 baht back to the USA and then have that same 65,000 baht placed into his Thai bank account - and then just repeat the process every month to make it appear as if he has a 65,000 baht monthly income. He said Chiang Mai immigration figured out people might try that, so for those using the 65,000 baht per month method, they also will have to show proof of the source of the money, such as a retirement pension.

Whether any other immigration offices are following the same policies, I have no idea. But since the combo method is supposed to be legal, apparently some immigration offices are still making up their own rules.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

As previously mentioned in this thread, I will be doing my retirement extension - due date is in July, but can apply up to 30 days prior to due date, which will be this month. I will be using the 65k baht per month income method.

Today, I took the first step - to get Bangkok Bank verified bank statements for previous year. I went to the Bangkok Bank Branch in Tesco Lotus on Sukhumvit, I was there at opening time (10:30am), first in line. I explained what I needed, no problems. As I had previously heard, it takes one week to get the statements (as I understand it, they can do 6 months, but more than that, has to go to Bangkok to be done). She made a copy a copy of the info page and completed a form - I signed the form and the photocopy. A portion of the form was given to me as a receipt and will need it when I go back to pick up the statements.

When I do my extension, I will post my experience.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:48 pm As I had previously heard, it takes one week to get the statements (as I understand it, they can do 6 months, but more than that, has to go to Bangkok to be done).
Once enough farang are asking for these statements, maybe Bangkok Bank will start making it quicker and easier to fulfill the requests.

When you do apply for the extension, please ask immigration if getting those statements is even necessary or if the bank passbook is enough.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:10 pm
2lz2p wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:48 pm As I had previously heard, it takes one week to get the statements (as I understand it, they can do 6 months, but more than that, has to go to Bangkok to be done).
Once enough farang are asking for these statements, maybe Bangkok Bank will start making it quicker and easier to fulfill the requests.

When you do apply for the extension, please ask immigration if getting those statements is even necessary or if the bank passbook is enough.
As to getting 12 months of statements locally, it appears that it has something to do with their computerized records, e.g., using their online banking to review your account transactions, you can only get the past 6 months activity - so maybe the branch banks have a similar restriction on what is available to them to prepare such statements.

As to the need for a document from your Thai bank attesting to the monthly deposits, it appears to be a necessary requirement. In addition, I have heard reports that in addition to the bank documenting the transactions, Jomtien Immigration also wants those using monthly income to have the same letter that is required of those using 800k in the bank - I will get that at the time I pick up my bank statements with the intent to renew early morning on the following day.

Here is some of the information I am relying on as I get ready for the process:

The Pattaya City Expats Club has the following on their webpage re Retirement Extensions (http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/ex ... ngStay.pdf):

In General Requirements:
Thai Immigration issued an amendment to order 138-2557stating the documentary evidence required if the applicant chooses to use monthly income as their financial resource for qualifying extension based on being related to a Thai including marriage (Section 2.18 of each police order) or on retirement in the Kingdom (Section 2.22 of each police order)1.
In the link to an English translation of the Police Order Amendment (http://pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats ... n-2019.pdf) - See Paragraph 2.22 - item 1) under procedures which states
1) Evidence showing pension -- a letter of certification on deposit in the bank in Thailand and bank statment showing money transfer from overseas every month for the past 12 months.
In section on Retirement extensions:
Reports as of May 2019 is that Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration will require a letter from your Thai bank verifying the account (this is the same type of letter banks provide for those using 800,000 baht on deposit and most banks will be familiar with what is needed); but, we understand from a recent report that they also will require a letter attesting to the amount of monthly deposits from outside Thailand for the past year (at present, we do not have an example of bank letters attesting to monthly deposits).
From postings on Thaivisa.com, it appears there are three types that can be obtained: Monthly bank statements attested to by the bank (this is what I requested from Bangkok Bank Branch at Tesco-Lotus South), Foreign Deposit Credit Advices (apparently a copy of Bangkok Bank records showing details of their credit of the foreign deposit to the bank account), or a Bank Form Letter listing the foreign deposits to the account (there are several threads where a copy of this type letter shown - one being https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/110414 ... /#comments.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Considering the 65K has to be shown to have been received monthly from an overseas source, I wonder why this has never - in my experience - been a requirement for those using the Bt. 800K route.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

fountainhall wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:48 am Considering the 65K has to be shown to have been received monthly from an overseas source, I wonder why this has never - in my experience - been a requirement for those using the Bt. 800K route.
Do you think you could wonder quietly, to yourself, rather than in public? I don't suppose it matters much here, but I am genuinely convinced that hysterical postings on Thai Visa were to blame for the whole TM30 nonsense.
What I firmly believe happened there is that one or two people, who probably had pissed off an immigration officer in some way, were asked to produce TM30's as a way of putting them in their place.
This was then reported on Thai Visa.
Then a bunch of hysterical old queens on there started flapping around like wet hens, saying that everybody now needed TM30's and generally squawking that the sky was falling.
Many people then asked immigration if they needed TM30's, to which the answer was, of course "yes" (What do you expect a police officer to say when asked if you need to keep the law?)
Immigration and the visa agents also now realised there was money to be made out of this.
And the rest is history.
No-one should discuss what they might do. If the idea takes hold, and people too stupid to tie their own bootlaces start asking Immigration and the agents about it, It might just happen.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 pm I am genuinely convinced that hysterical postings on Thai Visa were to blame for the whole TM30 nonsense.
Am I missing something? What does the TM30 form have to do with the retirement visa extension or fountainhall's post?

The last time I checked, the title of the TM30 form is:

NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED

See: http://www.immigrationbangkok.com/files ... s/tm30.pdf