Maurizio Di Italiano

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Maurizio Di Italiano

Post by Gaybutton »

I always greatly enjoy it when I find a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that turns out to be excellent. Maurizio Di Italiano is one of them. It is now my number 1 favorite Italian restaurant in Pattaya. RichLB and I have eaten there several times already. Despite the fact that Jomtien has many very good restaurants, now whenever RichLB and I want to go out to dinner, our usual first choice is Maurizio Di Italiano.

Maurizio is Italian and the one waitress, a Thai lady who we're guessing is his wife, is very attentive and speaks acceptable English. If you want to speak to Maurizio, you better be able to speak Italian. He speaks hardly any English.

The only negative is there are no soups on the menu, but he has all kinds of pasta dishes, many of which I had never heard of. I've been trying them all, one by one. He makes the pasta himself - not "store bought" pasta. He also has plenty of appetizer choices too and some excellent salads. He also has a variety of pizzas. I haven't gotten to the pizzas yet. I like his pasta dishes too much to forego them for a pizza, but I'm sure I'll try one at some point.

The prices are inexpensive. Last night I had his insalata tono, a pasta dish - Bucatini Gricia - similar to Carbonara and I believe made with real guanciale instead of bacon (maybe lvdkeyes can verify that if he tries the restaurant) - and soda water to drink. The spaghetti was perfect al dente.

The bill came to 380 baht. I have not seen Bucatini Gricia anywhere else in Pattaya, or anywhere else in Thailand either. He has many pasta dishes I have never seen anywhere else.

There is both indoor and outdoor seating.

I definitely recommend giving Maurizio Di Italiano a try.

You'll find it on Soi Chaiyapruek about halfway between Jomtien Second Road and the beach. Look for the small yellow sign. If you get much more than halfway to the beach from Jomtien Second Road, you probably missed it.

GPS coordinates: 12.877998, 100.887276
RichLB

Re: Maurizio Di Italiano

Post by RichLB »

I sure concur with GB's review. The food is excellent and the service puts to shame most high end restaurants. I'm blown away at the memory of the Thai lady who serves us - she remembers past orders, is eager to make recommendations when asked, turns down the music
to a pleasant level without being asked, and always makes me smile.
I'm no gourmet, but to my taste the Italian food can't be beat - and the portions are large. I urge everyone to give it a try.
Gaybutton

Re: Maurizio Di Italiano

Post by Gaybutton »

This evening we went to eat at Maurizio. Unfortunately it turned out to be the last time. Mr. Maurizio has developed a leg problem and tonight was their last day in business. They are returning to Italy, where Mr. Maurizio can get the treatment he needs. They will not be returning to Thailand.

We are sad to see them go. This really was our favorite Italian restaurant. I imagine most of you missed the opportunity to try it.