Bangkok For Expats

Post by Undaunted »

Bangkok now on list of 10 most expensive Asian cities for expats:

https://thethaiger.com/news/business/ba ... for-expats
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Trongpai

Re: Bangkok For Expats

Post by Trongpai »

What's happened in Bangkok in the last 10-15 years is a huge influx of high end properties in the 30 to 300 million baht range. That would skew an average on the high end depending on the methodology of the study. I don't know who's buying these high end condos and homes but I suspect it Chinese money, but probably not exclusively.

There's still plenty of mid and lower range rentals in Bangkok. Prices drop proportionally by distance to the center area and transportation access, BTS/MRT.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Developers are also jumping on the affordable mini-condo market, partly to cater for the large number of Chinese buyers. These units are only between 25 and 30 sq. mtrs and generally situated near outer BTS stations.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I presume this is another one of those studies aimed at expats assigned overseas by their companies. Usually well paid and with some form of expense allowances and upward adjustment to the salary to allow for overseas living. Hence they will be renting good 3 bedroom apartments at a cost of $3880 per month and eating in decent restaurants, possibly western style cooking.

I suspect most gay people here don't need a 3 bedroom apartment. I don't know what a tidy 1 bed apartment costs, but one website says $440~750 per month. If you are impoverished, a lower standard of accommodation will be available for a lot less. Or something smarter for more.

Meanwhile, it is also possible to have a very nice meal for 40 baht. Or go to some fairly ordinary restaurant with western style food and the bill can be near 400 baht. Something flash, no doubt 10x that and more.

I think there is something at a price for everyone.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I used to think that Pattaya had a low cost-of-living as compared to Bangkok. Now that I reside in Bang Saray the Pattaya prices seem like a rip off and Bangkok thinks it's Paris.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote:I used to think that Pattaya had a low cost-of-living as compared to Bangkok. Now that I reside in Bang Saray the Pattaya prices seem like a rip off and Bangkok thinks it's Paris.
Hi, can you give a few specific examples of what is less expensive in Bang Saray vs Pattaya?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote:Hi, can you give a few specific examples of what is less expensive in Bang Saray vs Pattaya?
Sure:

Housing, which is most people's largest expense, is considerably less in Bank Saray as compared to Pattaya.

According to the experts who toss real estate data around the average asking price per SQM for a condo in a prime location, nice building, on or near seaside in Pattaya is around 64,000 THB per SQM where a 2 bedroom 80 SQM condo like the one being described would have an asking price of around 5,120,000 THB. The average asking price per SQM in Bang Saray is around 45,000 THB per SQM where the same condo would sell for around 3,600,000 THB - with one small caveat; You can actually swim in the water you're looking at.

I actually view other cost-of-living expenses as just being arbitrary due to the fact that the cost of food, clothing and other basic living necessities can be purchased for the same price in every town or city if you know where to look. Having said that, I have a boyfriend who could rub the head off a nickle who has a hissy fit when I get my haircut for 100 baht in Pattaya when the barber in Bang Saray charges 80 baht. Yes, I guess these trivial things add up - but I'm not there yet.
pong

Post by pong »

Here in BKK haircuts can still be had for 70 or even 60 bt/head. Schoolkids pay even less. And yes, its always a case of knowing where to look-just round the corner it may be 150. After comparing the prices for basic everyday items-its kind of hobby for me without any real need- really BIG cities will offer the best chance on real bargains as the supply is so much bigger. The only thing that consistently cost 5 bt more in BKK is the everyday plate of rice for food. But at 2/day that can be overcome by using its cheap buses-6,5 bt/ride (up to 30 Kms), whereas even in Patters its 10 bt for short distance and ChMai even 20. (15 if you are able to find out where its subsidised new buslines go).
What Patters does offer is much more opportunity on cheaper and/or even free pleasures of mutual contact.........
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

pong wrote:
Here in BKK haircuts can still be had for 70 or even 60 bt/head
What if you have 2 heads?