Yet Another Immigration Question

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Re: Yet Another Immigration Question

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote:Why Thailand would give a damn in the first place whether the money comes from outside of or from within Thailand, as long as you have the money, goes beyond me, but that's the way it is. Can anyone explain the logic (or lack thereof) of that?
It is my understanding they give a damn because retirees are not permitted to work, their source of income should be their pension, etc. generating funds from outside of Thailand.

On the recent issue about the UK Embassy stopping issuing of income letters, there has been a lot of speculation and comments that the US Embassy will follow suit, the PCEC has included the following linked from their 12 October Newsletter: http://www.pcecnews.com/tmpNL/INCOME%20 ... 20INFO.pdf

Undaunted wrote:I think this will be a big win for Visa agencies and those officials that work with them.
Not necessarily - there is a new Chief of Immigration as of October 1 (former deputy of Tourist Police and referred to in Thai press by his nickname - Big Joke). Various articles since have included his announcements and initial actions to stop the "tipping" of Immigration Officers and to get rid of Visa Agents.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The following Email was forwarded to me, regarding the USA embassy and the proof-of-income statement.

I'd say this is far more reliable information than "information" provided by the rumor mill and what you see on some web sites.

Americans, my suggestion is don't worry until there is something to worry about. So far there is nothing to cause you to lose any sleep. That may be a different story for some UK citizens, but nothing has changed for Americans. So, if you are American and among those currently panicking, well - stop panicking.

Subject: "Income Letter" from Embassy
To: Pat Koester < [email protected] >

Pat Koester
Citizen Liaison Volunteer
US Embassy Bangkok

Greetings:

You have probably heard that the British Embassy in Bangkok has decided to stop issuing “Income Letters” for retirement visas.

If you follow the Thaivisa.com website, you also know that the British Embassy has allegedly said that the US Embassy has also decided to stop issuing these letters. Turns out that this is not quite the case.

I contacted the US Embassy, and received this response from an Embassy spokesperson: “We are aware of the U.K. Embassy’s statement to the press. The U.S. Embassy’s current income affidavit policies can be found on our website: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... es-public/. We are currently evaluating options regarding the future provision of this document. We urge all citizens to ensure they are in compliance with Thai visa requirements.”

To me, the most important part of this statement is the fact that our Embassy is still “evaluating options.” They have also asked for our input; I think this is very encouraging. So if you would like to comment – and especially if you have any solutions – please let me know, and I will forward everyone’s comments to the Embassy. If you prefer to remain anonymous, I will not use your name (as long as you keep it civil).

If you prefer, you can send your input directly to the US Embassy at [email protected].

I will be at the Pattaya City Expats Club meeting this Sunday if you would like to discuss this further.

Please feel free to forward this email to other American citizens, and give them my email address. It’s very important that we get the word to as many US citizens as possible very quickly!

Thanks,

Pat
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I’ve only read the initial post in this thread, the question regarding recent activity in the 800,000 bt. account may have been answered already.

My Thai friend takes care of those things for me; I just asked him. He said when he goes to the bank for a letter stating I am not impecunious they tell him activity is required, and he makes a token deposit.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Geezer wrote:they tell him activity is required, and he makes a token deposit.
Just to reconfirm, that token deposit should not be made when receiving the bank letter. In Bangkok at least, it is to be made just prior to visiting the Immigration officer so the bankbook can be updated on the day of application. A photocopy of the updated bankbook page needs to be included int he paperwork presented to the officer.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Hmm, this brings up another question. While not applying to me since I hold the 800,000 baht in a passbook account if one has that deposit in a Thai CD or other bank investment account, how do they make a token deposit? And a related question is must the 800,000 baht be in a single account or can one have a couple accounts which total 800,000 baht and one can show recent activity? In other words, if an expat maintains the 800k in a CD can they simply open a separate small account with which to show the "recent" activity?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

With all the questions being asked, along with uncertainty and confusion, my suggestion is to go to immigration a couple weeks or more before it's time to renew the visa and ask them. Personally, I'd be a lot more confident in what immigration tells me than I would on what I read on a message board.

That way you'll know what to expect and will still have time if you discover you have any problems.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

RichLB wrote:Hmm, this brings up another question. While not applying to me since I hold the 800,000 baht in a passbook account if one has that deposit in a Thai CD or other bank investment account, how do they make a token deposit? And a related question is must the 800,000 baht be in a single account or can one have a couple accounts which total 800,000 baht and one can show recent activity? In other words, if an expat maintains the 800k in a CD can they simply open a separate small account with which to show the "recent" activity?
Immigration will not accept a CD or other account that restricts your ability to withdraw funds. However, several banks offer fixed deposit accounts which receive a higher rate of interest provide you do not withdraw the funds early. If you do, then the only penalty is a lower rate of interest. Immigration will accept those type of accounts.

As to having a fixed deposit account, I have no experience on whether you can have activity in it before the term expires. I did speak with someone the other day who said they obtained a bank letter for their fixed deposit account and their regular savings account and showed bank books for both accounts - the savings account showing activity. They said they didn't have a problem in showing both accounts. But, as GB said, you may want to check with Immigration ahead of time or, if your account permits, go ahead and make a transaction on the day you get the bank letter.

As to what Bangkok Immigration requires, it may be so because they have bank branches in their building - not so at Pattaya Immigration.
Bob

Post by Bob »

RichLB wrote:Hmm, this brings up another question. While not applying to me since I hold the 800,000 baht in a passbook account if one has that deposit in a Thai CD or other bank investment account, how do they make a token deposit?....
You simply cannot deposit/withdraw with the typical term account (again, the type of term account which does let you withdraw all the funds at any time coupled with a loss of accrued interest)....and those account passbooks cannot be updated.

Next April, I'll go again and do my annual extension and all CM Immigration will see is a bank letter and copies of a passbook showing the funds and zero activity (it will show the requisite amount in there as of December of 2018 and show no further activity or updating) and there will be no problem with that. Now, I do also take my passbook from my other account from which I take living expenses just in case the Immigration officer might actually ask where I get the money to live on; however, no questions of that nature have ever come up over the many years I've gotten extensions up here.

If one holds the 800k in a regular savings account, one can add/subtract (and then update) with that type of account whenever you want. But you can't do that with a typical term account.

[As to doing the 800k thing with multiple accounts, there shouldn't be any problem with doing that; however, I personally don't see any advantage of doing it that way....although perhaps somebody for some reason wants to see smaller amounts mature at different times.]
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton wrote: From:
Pat Koester
Citizen Liaison Volunteer
US Embassy Bangkok

I will be at the Pattaya City Expats Club meeting this Sunday if you would like to discuss this further.
Did anyone go to that meeting and talk with him? If you did, please tell us what he had to say.

I would especially like to know if he has good reason to believe the USA embassy will also halt the proof-of-income letters, will continue providing them, or whether it is too soon to have any idea what they're going to do.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Note this is hearsay. A friend of mine actually went to immigration yesterday and asked a farang who works there about these rumored rule changes. He was told that after January 1 Immigration will no longer accept the income verification letter. I have no idea how factual his information is, but just in case you might want to get your ducks in order.