The Movie about the Cave Rescue

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: The Movie about the Cave Rescue

Post by Dodger »

Still hard bodies ...none of that MacDonald's flab.
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

Dodger wrote:Similar to the boys who reside in Issan, they are used to sleeping on hard floors (sometimes directly on concrete), live in dwellings with little or no electricity, have diets of whatever pops up on the land and go for very long periods sitting and doing nothing.
I've always wondered how the bar boys in Sunee manage to sit for so many hours for so many days doing nothing. I'm beginning to get it now!
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

Captain Swing wrote:I also wonder how they, or anyone, will make a movie in which almost all the action takes place in cramped cave passages
The original article in the Aussie press indicated that their plan is to focus the story on the British divers. Which would mean that the lack of action in the dark cave won't be an issue. It also means that they can focus on white people. That's why they should be banned from the country. The good thing is that I doubt the actual British divers would give these guys the time of day, much less sell rights to their story to them.

As for the Buddhist/Christian question, I do note that at least one of the boys (the English-speaking "stateless" kid Adul) lives in a Christian church. Whether he is Christian or not I do not know.

The story itself is so compelling that a fictionalized "Hollywood" movie is completely unnecessary. A good, feature length documentary interviewing all of the important people to the story as well as the supporting cast of volunteers is all we really need. [I saw a fantastic doc a couple of weeks ago about the Brazilian soccer team plane crash and aftermath. That's the sort of thing which I think would be very interesting. See how the boys end up coping now that they're rescued in addition to how they got stuck in the first place. There are so many angles you could take the story from.)

Thanks for the tip above on the Science Channel program. ABC news in the US did a quick recap program on Tuesday night. But that was before some of the details of how they were actually extracted were really known.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

fedssocr1 wrote:As for the Buddhist/Christian question, I do note that at least one of the boys (the English-speaking "stateless" kid Adul) lives in a Christian church. Whether he is Christian or not I do not know.
I don't know either, but I think they were right when the talked about how smart he is. He as the only one with the wit to give a brand name for the kind if food he was looking forward to. I can picture a lifetime supply of KFC, maybe even an endorsement deal.

Seriously, I also dread the idea of a Hollywood movie, but I'll happily watch any documentary that comes out.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fedssocr1 wrote:The story itself is so compelling that a fictionalized "Hollywood" movie is completely unnecessary. A good, feature length documentary interviewing all of the important people to the story as well as the supporting cast of volunteers is all we really need.s in the US did a quick recap program on Tuesday night. But that was before some of the details of how they were actually extracted were really known.
I agree. I don't think a movie or even a documentary is necessary. What kind of documentary are they going to make that isn't already all over the news, YouTube, et al?

I don't see any of it as a genuine attempt to present a "how it really happened" inside look. I see it as sheer greed on the part of these producers who smell money. The boys were hardly out of the cave before the filmmakers were there. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already offering contracts to stars, lining up extras, and have screenwriters working on the scripts.

I also think KFC is already working on how to take full advantage of the free advertising they got from the boy, Adul, who only wants to eat some of their fried chicken. I have a feeling the boy inadvertently, without it ever occurring to him, will soon be ceremoniously presented with a lifetime certificate for all the free KFC fried chicken he wants. If nothing else, I have a feeling KFC at the very least will cater a free "welcome back" party for his entire school once he returns - and they'll make sure the media is right there to film it.

Even if Thailand bans them, they'll just find somewhere else to make their movie. I hope Thailand does ban them on principle, but knowing the way things all too often work around here, enough money making its way into the right hands - now you've got full access and all the cooperation you need.

I don't think there is any question that the media and the filmmakers are going to milk this incident and use these boys for all they can get, along with certain Thai bank accounts getting significantly heavier.

If I had my way, there would be no movies, no more documentaries, maybe some statements on video from the boys as they leave the hospital, news if they accept any of the offers - and then let them return to their normal lives, get back to playing soccer, and leave them the hell alone.

The only way I would be in favor of any of this would be if it genuinely helps the plight of the stateless people.
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

watching the Science Channel doc right now. Sadly they waste precious time talking about self-promoter Elon Musk's completely impractical and unusable ideas. And their account of how the rescue was done is fairly inaccurate. In their rush to get this on the air they are claiming the original plan was used...which we now know was abandoned in favor of knocking the boys out and pulling them out in a plastic cocoon. The Washington Post article notes that they even didn't bother with the two divers per boy plan since they decided having the second diver didn't add anything.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I agree 100% that a well-made documentary is a far, far better idea. We all know how movie companies change all manner of details in the interest of "dramatic story development."
fedssocr1 wrote:I saw a fantastic doc a couple of weeks ago about the Brazilian soccer team plane crash and aftermath. That's the sort of thing which I think would be very interesting. See how the boys end up coping now that they're rescued in addition to how they got stuck in the first place. There are so many angles you could take the story from.
It is such an irony that those involved in that crash were also members of an amateur soccer team. I'd love to know the name of the doc. As far as I know there have been two commercial movies made of this plane accident in the Andes. The latest was the 1993 movie titled "Alive" which was narrated by John Malkovich and featured several well-known actors. This garnered good reviews.

But there was also a pretty dreadful 1976 movie titled "Survive" which I have seen and has been shown several times on True Visions movie channels. That one illustrated how badly Hollywood can recreate a real-life disaster. Roger Ebert gave it a thumbs down and described it as "a fairly awful movie".

fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

fountainhall wrote:I agree 100% that a well-made documentary is a far, far better idea. We all know how movie companies change all manner of details in the interest of "dramatic story development."
fedssocr1 wrote:I saw a fantastic doc a couple of weeks ago about the Brazilian soccer team plane crash and aftermath. That's the sort of thing which I think would be very interesting. See how the boys end up coping now that they're rescued in addition to how they got stuck in the first place. There are so many angles you could take the story from.
It is such an irony that those involved in that crash were also members of an amateur soccer team. I'd love to know the name of the doc. As far as I know there have been two commercial movies made of this plane accident in the Andes. The latest was the 1993 movie titled "Alive" which was narrated by John Malkovich and featured several well-known actors. This garnered good reviews.
Actually I meant the recent doc called Nossa Chape about the Chapacoense (pro) Brazilian team. Their plane crashed on the way to Colombia a couple of years ago on the way to a Copa Sudamericana championship game. https://heavy.com/sports/2018/06/watch- ... ry-online/
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I'm sorry I forgot that the players in the much earlier crash were from Uruguay and not Brazil. I'd really like to see Nossa Chape. There was so much in the media about the crash and the team playing again so quickly with basically loaned players.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Dodger wrote:Still hard bodies ...none of that MacDonald's flab.
To me they appeared as a bunch of skinny, starved boys.