At least 27 injured on flight to Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

At least 27 injured on flight to Bangkok

Post by fountainhall »

Clear air turbulence is again in the news, this time involving an Aeroflot 777 flying between Moscow and Bangkok. The turbulence hit about 40 minutes before the flight carrying 313 passengers and crew arrived at BKK. Reports tell of passengers being hurled into the air. 24 of those injured were Russians and three were Thai. 15 were admitted to hospital on arrival, two with multiple leg fractures and another with broken ribs.

CAT can not be detected by pilots and conventional radar. Pilots rely on information from other flights that might have passed through the CAT. Yet, once again it appears that at least some of those injured did not have their seat belts fastened. With so many incidences of CAT this seems to me madness that people happily fly without having their seat belts loosely fastened as usually instructed by captains in advance of departure.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-39771637
Up2u

Re: At least 27 injured on flight to Bangkok

Post by Up2u »

Lesson learned; buckle up even when napping or sleeping.
fountainhall

Re: At least 27 injured on flight to Bangkok

Post by fountainhall »

Definitely. I still feel sorry for folks who are waiting for the toilets when there will often be a queue - and the flight attendants who may be tidying up the cabin and their galleys prior to landing. But I assume on this flight since there were two smallish bumps before the big ones hit, the captain should have had time to get on the intercom to warn everyone. But that's pure speculation.