St. Patrick's Day Parade in Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

St. Patrick's Day Parade in Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

I saw a sign announcing a St. Patrick's Day (March 17) parade on Beach Road, beginning 4:00 pm.

There were no other details, such as where the parade will begin and end or who's sponsoring it. I have seen no news media publicity about it.
Captain Kirk

Re: St. Patrick's Day Parade in Pattaya

Post by Captain Kirk »

Can't understand why they'd have one there. Place not exactly choc full of Irish folk.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Errm, as an Irish person I can barely move 100 metres in Pattaya without seeing an Irish GAA Jersey (GAA= Gaelic Football Association, Jersey= Shirt with County Colours) or hearing an Irish regional accent... Like America, there are more Irish in Pattaya than in Ireland itself!
(not that I am interested in attending the St. Paddies parade... I don't even go to it in Dublin! But would be interested in hearing how it goes!)
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

colmx wrote:Errm, as an Irish person I can barely move 100 metres in Pattaya without seeing an Irish GAA Jersey (GAA= Gaelic Football Association, Jersey= Shirt with County Colours) or hearing an Irish regional accent... Like America, there are more Irish in Pattaya than in Ireland itself!
(not that I am interested in attending the St. Paddies parade... I don't even go to it in Dublin! But would be interested in hearing how it goes!)
Then I stand corrected. Spent ten months there myself and only ever heard one Irish accent.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Like most Gays have a GayDar... most Irish have a PaddyDar!
Unfortunately my RuskiDar is broken and I always end up sitting next to them in Pattaya bars/pubs/restaurants/clubs!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:Can't understand why they'd have one there.
In Thailand, just about anything is a good excuse for a holiday or a party. I'm surprised there isn't anything planned for St. Swithin's Day . . .
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

This is from the Pattaya City Expat Club's 10 March 2017 Newsletter:
ST PATRICK’S DAY PARADE WILL BE ON MARCH 17

The Pattaya St. Patrick’s Day Parade, now in its seventh year benefiting the Father Ray Foundation, will be taking place as it does every year on the afternoon of the 17th of March; this year, 2017, it will be on Friday afternoon. The entertainment will start at Alcazar Theatre at 3:00pm. Organizers are asking for people to arrive early to welcome the ambassador who will give a short speech before the start of the parade at 3:45pm.

Due to the passing of His Majesty the late King, the Parade will this year be more subdued than previous years, and will pay respects to a much loved and much missed monarch.

This year the organizers will welcome His Excellency Brendan Rogers, Ambassador at the Embassy of Ireland in Bangkok who will be joining the parade for the very first time. As usual the parade will start at Alcazar Theatre on Second Road, then make its way down Soi 4, a long Beach Road to the finish line at School No. 8, on South Pattaya Road.