The "new" Coco's

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Trongpai

The "new" Coco's

Post by Trongpai »

Fairly recently, I don't know the exact date, the ownership of Coco's in Pattaya has changed hands. Richard and from what I can tell all the staff were let go. I dropped in yesterday for breakfast and was excited to see biscuits and gravy, a southern US dish, on the menu. I did not look much further and ordered it. It was excellent and for only 90B. You have the option of adding other breakfast items for 30B each, sausage, eggs, bacon etc. etc.

I did not speak to the new owner but he's on premises. A younger British guy. The restaurant had around 15 customers at noon time. More than usual under the previous ownership.

The last place I had biscuits and gravy was at the now defunct Purple Space Monkey. Actually, that was not very good or authentic but eatable. Coco's is authentic. I'm not sure how a British guy got a US southern dish so authentic.

I've not had a chance to try anything else on the menu. The service was excellent.
Gaybutton

Re: The "new" Coco's

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:Coco's is authentic.
Maybe I'll give that a try. You made it sound good.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

GB, that's my thought exactly.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:GB, that's my thought exactly.
I know if Geezer was still living in Pattaya we'd be there tomorrow morning . . .
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I am, indeed, planning to go tomorrow.
DeE

Post by DeE »

TrongP,

Thanks for bringing this cafe back into the spotlight. A few months ago I posted on my first visit to Coco's whereas I bitched about being served some cheap grade of coffee when ordering the 295b "top of the line breakfast".

The staff had an attitude problem when questioned about the cheap grade of coffee but the prior owner did offer to upgrade to a decent cuppa with a small extra charge. Apparently the menu listed an option to upgrade coffee served with the breakfasts--but I didn't notice it. I decided never to visit this cafe again because of the hassle of it all.

I was down in Pattaya the last couple weeks of September and a friend suggested Coco's. As TrongP says, the place has a new owner and all new staff (from what I could see). The food was good (as usual) and now they serve a good grade of coffee with the set breakfasts. We shared an order of biscuits and gravy along with the full breakfast we each ordered. Great food and excellent service.

The owner introduced himself and was a very pleasant chap.

Coco's is back on my top five joints to enjoy a good quality breakfast.

cheers...
DeE
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

We went there this morning. The sausage gravy with the biscuits was top notch. I would have like a lighter biscuit, but, all in all I enjoyed it. I also had two fried (perfectly) eggs on toast and very good coffee. My bf had chicken with cashews and he said it was good. Total bill was 385 THB. Good food at reasonable prices! What more can you ask for?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm glad Coco's is getting good reviews. I pass by frequently at the dinner hour and there is never more than two or three people in the restaurant - and more often completely empty. I had just about written it off. If the breakfasts are good, maybe lunch and dinner are also good. I hope so.

And right next door to Coco's is the Mimosa Italian restaurant, which in my opinion is the best Italian restaurant I've tried so far in Pattaya. I know Casa Fellini, the Soi 3 location, has been getting compliments, but I haven't tried it yet.

It would be very nice if two "worth going to" restaurants are next to each other. If you drive a car, there is plenty of parking in the back.

I think the problem for most of you will be getting there and getting back. If you don't have your own transportation it will be difficult. The restaurants are on Chaiyapruek, about 50 meters toward the beach from Sukhumvit. If you don't mind baht buses and motorbike taxis, you can get there, but not easily unless you hire a taxi to take you. From the gay bar area in Pattaya, probably the easiest way to get there would be to take a baht bus to the beach - most will go as far as Chaiyapruek. Whether the bus will go that far or not, you will then need to get a motorbike taxi to take you up Chaiyapruek to the restaurants.

Getting back to where you came from will be even more difficult. Baht buses are rarely seen on Chaiyapruek unless they've been hired and you would have to walk up to Sukhumvit to find a motorbike taxi or Sukhumvit baht bus.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Today, Sunday I went to Coco's again and had the traditional Sunday roast dinner. You have a choice between roast beef, lamb, pork or chicken. I went with the roast beef. The owner told me it was beef from New Zealand. It came with two huge Yorkshire puddings, roast potato, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower with cheddar, carrots and peas. The portions are generous so if you're not a big eater ask for another plate and share. It's served from noon till finished.

I've had Sunday roast dinners in several of Bangkok's British pubs but I found this better. The beef was tender and tasty. The popular place for a Sunday roast in Bangkok is the Black Swan on Sukhumvit. The UK ambassador frequents the Black Swan, it's good but I found Coco's better.

This time I spoke to the owner. He's from west London and was a cook in the British navy. I did not know the British navy ate so well perhaps he cooked for the officers. Most of the customers were also British.

They also have Thai food for those with boys in tow who don't eat western food.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

They have quite a nice website but it has not been updated since the new owner took over.
Hopefully that will be soon!