Enjoy it while you still can . . .

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Enjoy it while you still can . . .

Post by Gaybutton »

Do you smoke marijuana? Thailand, despite legalizing it fairly recently, is going to ban recreational use by the end of the year. That doesn't mean they're going to wait that long to do it, but apparently that's the deadline.

Banning recreational use of certain drugs is not unprecedented. Once there were opium dens. Once heroin and cocaine were perfectly legal and even used in commercial products and medicines. We'll see how making marijuana illegal once again is going to work. Many shops currently sell it. I guess most will be forced out of business. Meanwhile, when it was still illegal it was readily available and people who wanted it had no problem getting it.

My own guess is all banning recreational use will truly accomplish is raising the price . . .

Thailand Plans Year-End Ban on Recreational Cannabis

March 1, 2024

In a bid to assert greater control over recreational cannabis consumption, Thailand is set to impose a ban by the end of the year, according to statements from the country's health minister in an exclusive interview with Reuters.

Since blazing the trail in Southeast Asia with the legalization of medicinal marijuana in 2018, followed by the nod to recreational use in 2022, Thailand has witnessed a rapid proliferation of the cannabis market.

The landscape now boasts an abundance of tens of thousands of cannabis outlets, with industry projections soaring to a monumental $1.2 billion valuation by the upcoming fiscal year.

However, amidst this exponential growth, concerns have surfaced regarding the swift implementation of regulations, which were swiftly introduced within a week of decriminalization.

In response to these apprehensions, the Thai government is moving forward with drafting a comprehensive law designed to oversee cannabis consumption, slated for enactment by year-end.

Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew disclosed during a Wednesday briefing the urgency of establishing robust regulations, stressing the imminent risk of cannabis misuse, particularly in recreational contexts.

The proposed legislation is expected to undergo meticulous scrutiny within the cabinet next month, followed by parliamentary review, with the aim of securing final approval before the year's end.

"The detrimental effects of cannabis misuse on Thai children are concerning," he emphasized. "In the long term, it could potentially pave the way for involvement with other substances."

The preceding administration failed to pass legislation through parliament prior to the general election last May, leaving Thailand without a comprehensive law to regulate cannabis use, reported Reuters.

Cholnan further stated that cannabis shops operating unlawfully will not be permitted to continue, and domestic cultivation of cannabis will also be discouraged. He noted that currently, there are approximately 20,000 legally registered shops.

"In the forthcoming law, cannabis will be classified as a controlled plant, necessitating permission for cultivation," he explained. "We will encourage cannabis cultivation for medical and health-related purposes."

Under the proposed legislation, penalties for recreational cannabis use could include fines of up to 60,000 baht ($1,700).

Individuals involved in selling cannabis for recreational purposes or engaging in the promotion or marketing of cannabis products could face imprisonment of up to one year, a fine of up to 100,000 baht ($2,800), or both.

Furthermore, the draft law imposes harsher penalties for unauthorized cannabis cultivation, including prison sentences ranging from one to three years and fines ranging from 20,000 baht ($560) to 300,000 baht ($8,000).

The minister also emphasized that permits will now be required for the import, export, cultivation, and commercial use of cannabis.

Acknowledging the economic potential of the cannabis industry, the government intends to provide businesses with a transition period to adapt to the new regulations, Cholnan noted.

Existing shops will be allowed to operate until their licenses expire and have the option to convert into legal cannabis clinics if they comply with the new regulations. He also reassured that the new regulations would not adversely affect tourism.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1321241-thai ... -cannabis/
Jun

Re: Enjoy it while you still can . . .

Post by Jun »

Asean Now wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:26 amCholnan further stated that cannabis shops operating unlawfully will not be permitted to continue, and domestic cultivation of cannabis will also be discouraged. He noted that currently, there are approximately 20,000 legally registered shops
This implies that lawful shops would be allowed to continue but presumably only those selling it for "medical" purposes would be fully legal?
In Pattaya, I guess the shops will be allowed to do whatever they like, just as long as the police are paid off.

It would make more sense to make all the cafe type establishments illegal and make the stuff prescription only from pharmacies. Except there's less tea money in that.
Gaybutton

Re: Enjoy it while you still can . . .

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:19 am In Pattaya, I guess the shops will be allowed to do whatever they like, just as long as the police are paid off.
I've been comparing making recreational use illegal again to trying to put toothpaste back in the tube once it has been squeezed out. In my opinion trying to make it illegal again is one of the most absurd ideas I've seen yet in Thailand.

My first question is WHY? I have yet to see a sensible argument for making it illegal again. I know of no serious problems that have occurred that can even be remotely attributed to recreational marijuana use. Come to think of it, I also know of no minor problems either that involved marijuana use. So, what's the big problem? If they want to ban something that easily can be attributed to causing serious problems, then ban alcohol. Try that!

I believe if they really do make recreational use illegal again, it simply won't work. Do they truly believe that will stop marijuana users from obtaining and smoking it? Who knows, if they're lucky they might actually find a few people who are going to obey that law, but I doubt they'll find any more people obeying that law than obey the prostitution laws. And I doubt it will be any more rigidly enforced than the prostitution laws.

I just see no sense in what is perfectly legal today, tomorrow could get you arrested, fined, and jailed.

I see this as yet another example of an idea that simply has not sufficiently been thought through.