Bangkok combats tuk tuk and taxi overcharging

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Bangkok combats tuk tuk and taxi overcharging

Post by Gaybutton »

Tuk tuks and taxis: Bangkok’s solution to overcharging crisis

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

February 29, 2024

In a move to safeguard tourists’ wallets, Bangkok unveils an arsenal of measures to tackle the notorious tuk tuk and taxi overcharging crisis.

Amidst a flurry of concerns raised over the fleecing of foreign tourists by tuk tuk and taxi drivers, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has taken a decisive stand. Permanent Secretary Wanthanee Wattana spearheaded this pivotal moment following an intensive meeting with both public and private stakeholders.

Diving into the heart of the issue, yesterday’s summit convened at the illustrious Bangkok City Hall and was chaired by none other than PM’s office minister Puangphet Choonla-iad. A coalition of representatives from various agencies lent their voices to the cause, acknowledging the urgent need for action.

Unveiling a comprehensive strategy to combat exploitation, Wanthanee unveiled five game-changing enforcement measures poised to revolutionise tourist safety:

* Surveillance Superhighway: Harnessing the power of artificial intelligence, the BMA will deploy an extensive network of security cameras to crack down on traffic violations, rogue vendors clogging sidewalks, and brazen flouting of parking regulations – all within areas frequented by international visitors.

* Seal of Trust: A beacon of hope for weary travellers, the BMA will issue coveted stickers to tuk tuks, taxis, and shops committed to fair pricing. These badges of integrity signify registration with the BMA, promising tourists a shield against overcharging and scams. Bold signage will serve as a warning beacon, steering tourists away from treacherous traps.

* Unified Front Against Exploitation: Joining forces with government counterparts, the BMA pledges a relentless pursuit of opportunists preying on tourists. With a vow to apprehend and penalise offenders, the city administration sends a clear message: exploitation will not go unchecked.

* Together, residents and tourists alike form an impenetrable frontline against exploitation.

* Empowering Tourists: Equipping tourists with lifelines, the BMA unveils dedicated helpline numbers and informative guidebooks. Armed with essential resources, visitors can navigate Bangkok’s bustling streets with confidence, steering clear of predatory pitfalls.

These measures, initially implemented in the vibrant Ratchaprasong area, are scheduled for expansion to encompass other pivotal tourism hubs across the capital, including the iconic Rattanakosin Island, reported The Nation.

Joining forces in this historic endeavour were representatives from esteemed entities including the Metropolitan Police Bureau, the Traffic Police Division, the Land Transport Department, the BMA’s Tourism Department, the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, and the Ratchaprasong Square Trade Association (RSTA).

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/tu ... ing-crisis
Jun

Re: Bangkok combats tuk tuk and taxi overcharging

Post by Jun »

I've used a Bangkok Tuk Tuk once.

The last time I waved down a Bangkok Taxi was to go to Don Muang, shortly after it reopened for flights. My taxi driver was insisting I needed to go to Suvarnabhumi. Only after I threatened to get out did he head to Don Muang. The next time, I found a bus to get to DMK.

With the help of google maps, it's easy enough to get around Bangkok with public transport. Promoting that would be a good way to protect customers from overcharging.

In Cambodia, the Pass App ride hailing app does a fine job of enforcing fixed fares. Perhaps Bangkok should simply force all it's taxi and tuk tuk drivers onto an app? That way, the customers know the price before they get in. Meters are an inferior and obsolete technology.
Incidentally, if taxis carry a "Taxi Meter" sign they should lose their licenses and vehicles if found refusing to use the meter. I'd have more sympathy if they carried an honest "Haggle Taxi" sign.