Traveling by railroad from Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Traveling by railroad from Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

I just happened to stumble upon this. Apparently this was newly posted on YouTube November 17, 2023:
__________________________________________________________________________________________

pong

Re: Traveling by railroad from Pattaya

Post by pong »

There is since many, many years 1 train/day (I believe even only mo-fri) from Chachoengsao (change there from main line from BKK toward Cambodia)-with that stop in the far east side of PTY (is not that also the place where khun GB has his home around?) to Sattaheep, the navy base.
Have to dep. from BKK very early-around 6.00 and it turns very soon after arr in Sattaheep, so no chance on a day out.
But on weekends-perhaps not all the year. the SRT offers daytrip excursions-also dep. early around 6.00 at quite low prices and these may offer a day on the beach. The fares 3d cl have not been raised as such since I visit TH-som 30 yrs by now: its 20 bt for 100 kms. (or 1 bt for 5km (MIN is still 2 bt to pay). Which is also the price for the newer all-electric AC blue buses in choked up BKK transit. And the aimed for/promised new lower fare for the MRT/BTS electric lines in the city.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pong wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:47 am (is not that also the place where khun GB has his home around?)
Correct. The railroad station is about 3km north of my place, although I have never taken the train. I keep meaning to give it a try, but so far I haven't.

Those who have been around long enough to remember Burnett ("Geezer" on the boards) - he was a major railroad buff and made many rail journeys in Thailand. He loved it, but said it's not the way to travel if you are in a big hurry. He even tried a couple times to get permission to ride with the engineers, but was denied.

Geezer was an iconic character, emphasis on character, in Pattaya. I guarantee, those who ever had the pleasure of meeting him have never forgotten him.

Jun

Post by Jun »

When I tried the train from Pattaya earlier in the year, there was 1 train per day in each direction on weekdays and 2 at weekends. The SRT website shows 2 trains per day, without bothering to tell us that the second train runs at weekends only. This is correctly explained by the display at Pattaya station.

The southbound train runs before the northbound train, so if you want to do a day trip by train, the only option is to head south. There is naff all at Ban Plu Ta Luang, so running the train down to the coast is a welcome improvement.

The northbound train gets into Bangkok in the early evening & fortunately was still using Hua Lamphong when I tried it.