Chiang Mai Airport plans massive expansion

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Chiang Mai Airport plans massive expansion

Post by Gaybutton »

Chiang Mai Airport plans massive expansion to accommodate 16.5 million travellers

by Mitch Connor

September 14, 2023

Chiang Mai Airport is set to table its expansion proposal to Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin during his scheduled visit this weekend. The airport’s director, Wijit Kaewsaitiam, revealed that the Thai Cement Manufacturers Association (TCMA) is set to spearhead the construction of the terminal’s first phase.

The extension plan is aimed at significantly increasing the airport’s capacity, allowing it to accommodate over 16.5 million travellers annually, a huge leap from the current eight million. The airport also intends to ramp up its flight operations to 30 flights per hour, effectively doubling its existing capacity.

Wijit also noted that the airport’s operating hours would be extended to operate 24 hours a day. This is to facilitate a higher frequency of international flights, especially those originating from Europe.

“The terminal project is aligned with the strategic plan of the Airports of Thailand and Chiang Mai’s provincial development plan.”

The first phase of the terminal will take approximately three years to complete and is expected to commence operations in 2029. Additionally, there are considerations for the construction of another airport in the province.

Prime Minister Srettha’s visit to Chiang Mai is scheduled for September 15-17, following his tours of the North East and the South.

On Sunday, September 17, he is expected to engage with locals living in tambon Mae Hia of Muang district in Chiang Mai. This area lies adjacent to the airport and will be affected by the introduction of night flights. Discussions with executives from Chiang Mai Airport are also on his itinerary.

Two weeks ago the 61 year old prime minister made known his plan to revitalise airports in secondary cities, which has been warmly received by tourism operators in Nakhon Ratchasima. The airport revitalisation proposal, aimed at driving up tourist arrivals and stimulating the economy, was announced last month.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ch ... travellers
billyhouston

Re: Chiang Mai Airport plans massive expansion

Post by billyhouston »

Six or seven years ago they were talking about building a new airport, some 20Km from the present one in the direction of San Kamphaeng. People 'in the know' were buying up land in the area. It would be a great pity to lose the present airport, which is close to the ancient city and so convenient. Coming in on an international flight from HKG I timed my self from the moment I stepped onto the air bridge. Immigration, with photos and fingerprints followed by baggage claim, with one of my large cases subject to x-ray inspection, crossing to the car park and getting to the car took 12 minutes. I hope that it remains as efficient if it gets expanded.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

billyhouston wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:04 pm It would be a great pity to lose the present airport
My interpretation of the article is the expansion would be at the airport's current location, not building another one elsewhere.

However, it also makes sense to me that the reason for an expansion would be because they expect to be accommodating a large increase in the number of passengers, which means many more flights going in and out. The Chiang Mai airport has only one runway. I would think this kind of expansion also might necessitate building at least one more runway or upgrades to the runway they've got. And a major increase in numbers of flights would probably also necessitate a major upgrade of the control tower, maybe even requiring a new one. And if all that happens, then that would probably mean a whole new set of revised approach and departure patterns and procedures.

I remember all kinds of problems and chaos when they were building Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport. If they do a major expansion for Chiang Mai, I hope they do it right.

My question is whether there really is a need for a major expansion in the first place. Are there problems at Chiang Mai? If an expansion is truly necessary, that's one thing. Otherwise my opinion would be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:31 pmHowever, it also makes sense to me that the reason for an expansion would be because they expect to be accommodating a large increase in the number of passengers, which means many more flights going in and out. The Chiang Mai airport has only one runway. I would think this kind of expansion also might necessitate building at least one more runway or upgrades to the runway they've got.
The proposed expansion is to 16.5 million passengers per year.

London Gatwick has done 46.5 million passengers per year with one runway.

So I'm fairly confident one runway would be sufficient at Chiang Mai. Although, the authorities in Thailand do like a good oversized and overspecified infrastructure project, so perhaps we should not rule out more runways.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

If it wasn’t so difficult I would attach a snapshot from Google Earth.

If you open Google Earth you’ll see from that the existing airport is very close to downtown and surrounded by built up areas on all quarters. The northern end of the main runway is a mere 1.5 kilometres from the square canal that surrounds the old town centre.

Any plans for a second runway, with the necessary separation from the existing runway, and construction of taxiways, infrastructure etc., would appear impossible.

IMHO a new airport is the obvious solution.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:10 am IMHO a new airport is the obvious solution.
I suppose it depends on several things. One is if they ever get around to doing it at all. They talked for years about overhauling Pattaya's U-Tapao Airport before any construction began.

If whatever they want to do at the Chiang Mai airport can be accomplished at the existing site, then it wouldn't make any sense to build a whole new airport at a different location. Although when was the last time anything in Thailand has to make sense . . . ?

If it can't be done at the existing site then obviously it would be built elsewhere. If that happens, my guess is it won't be long before the current airport becomes Chiang Mai's newest shopping mall.