Vegetarian eating in Pattaya

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Vegetarian eating in Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:42 pm Fortunately, the excellent dedicated Thai vegetarian restaurants meet my needs for dining during the day. Even there, Pattaya lags other Thai cities, but the selection is sufficient.
Since you brought it up on the "CAFE JOHN in Jomtien Complex" topic, I think we ought to have a separate topic for people looking for vegetarian choices.

I'm guessing you are probably well aware that a Google search for "vegetarian restaurants in pattaya" brings up many.

Turkish and Indian restaurants usually have vegetable-only options and, of course, virtually every Thai restaurant has vegetable-only options.

If you are in Pattaya in mid September to early October, usually at some point during that time period there is an annual week-long vegetarian festival, where all kinds of vegetarian foods can easily be found all over town. Especially along Beach Road all kinds of stalls are set up and there are even places giving away vegetarian dishes for free.
Jun

Re: Vegetarian eating in Pattaya

Post by Jun »

There is no problem finding vegetarian restaurants in Pattaya.
Admittedly, Pattaya has fewer than similar sized cities in Thailand. But there are enough. At least 5 Thai style veggie restaurants, of which 3 are good.
One can also get by in Indian and Italian restaurants. Also, some Mexican places.

The problem arises when it comes to finding vegetarian food in normal Thai restaurants or farang restaurants.
Whilst "stir fried vegetables in oyster sauce" is a vegetable option, it's neither vegetarian, nor nutritious nor in any way a satisfactory meal.
Other alternatives, such as offering a salad minus the meat are also inadequate and lazy. It can't be that difficult to substitute some egg or tofu.

I suspect these people have the same closed minds as those doing the salad counter at a local Tops supermarket. After covid came along, they switched from self service to pre-packed salads. Every single one contains ham. No choice.
So Jewish, Islamic or vegetarian customers are unwelcome. Thankfully, there are better supermarkets.

Pattaya still has plenty of fine businesses. I'm just enjoying my morning coffee in one of the fine independent Thai coffee shops. The best of them are really good and far better than anything back in the UK. Cute staff too, although I sometimes struggle to figure out what gender they are. I suspect Tomboys in at least a couple of the shops.

Lunch at a dedicated veggie restaurant will also be fine, probably excellent.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:51 am Whilst "stir fried vegetables in oyster sauce" is a vegetable option, it's neither vegetarian, nor nutritious nor in any way a satisfactory meal.
Other alternatives, such as offering a salad minus the meat are also inadequate and lazy. It can't be that difficult to substitute some egg or tofu.
I guess I don't know what constitutes vegetarian. Stir fried vegetables are not vegetarian, but an egg is?

If you, or anyone else who might want to contribute to this topic, can - please give us some more detail. Rather than only telling us how many good vegetarian restaurants there are, I think those who want to try them would appreciate the names, the locations, what some of the menu choices are, prices, and whatever else you can tell us. For me, start with the one with the cute waiters . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

The oyster sauce is NOT vegetarian, being derived from dead seafood. Certain farang restaurant owners also don't understand that point. They are supposed to know these things, if claiming to offer vegetarian food.

An egg is vegetarian, but not vegan.

The cute staff are in coffee shops.

As for veggie food, let's start at the Terminal 21 Food hall which is easy to get to. There is a veggie Food stall on the right, after buying your card. Really tasty food. Rice and 3 different dishes for just 40 baht and it has long hours.
Imgur is claiming to be full again, so no photos. Here's a Google map link:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ccW553FfFHDBms7b7

Best in Pattaya is Thammachat, but not on a baht bus route, closed in the evenings and closing on random days as well. Normally about 60 baht.
ธรรมชาติ อาหารเจ พัทยาเหนือ (Thammachat Vegetarian Food)
+66 95 628 9659
https://maps.app.goo.gl/iSqdyE3bbXQJ5MELA

A reasonably good one in Naklua, near the end of the baht bus route. Closes sometime in the afternoon.
ร้านธรรมชาติอาหารเจพัทยา thammachad vegetarian food
+66 98 553 6542
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uwTDv1CRj1vKzAkC7

One in Jomtien. Not as good as the previous three examples.
Tianxin Pattaya Vegetarian restaurant
+66 93 098 3958
https://maps.app.goo.gl/RRTSd1WJ4LvCpxgZ7

Then there is Five Star. This claims to be superior to the others, but by my tastebuds, it's 5th out of 5. Higher prices not matched by better food.
Five Star J Vegan & Vegetarian Restaurant
+66 97 235 4209
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zBNLEZFyuQfuCFNY9
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:18 pm (Thammachat Vegetarian Food)
Even though I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, I just looked at the photos of the food served at Thammachat Vegetarian Food and most of it looks really good to me, so I will soon be there giving it a try.