Entertainment venues want extended hours and end afternoon 2-5pm alcohol sales ban

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Entertainment venues want extended hours and end afternoon 2-5pm alcohol sales ban

Post by Gaybutton »

Entertainment venue operators requesting Thai government to legally extend opening hours, cancel afternoon alcohol sales ban

By Goongnang Suksawat

10 November 2022

Entertainment venue operators filed a letter to the Thai government requesting to legally open their venues until 4 A.M. and to cancel afternoon alcohol sales ban hours of 2-5.

The President of the Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association (TABBA) Ms. Kemmigar Rattanakun filed the request yesterday (November 9th) to the Prime Minister at the Government House. Mr. Mongkolchai Somudon, deputy permanent secretary of the PM’s Office received the letter.

Ms. Kemmigar told Thai media, “We are focusing on the ‘Night Entertainment Zones’ which are well-known areas in Patong (Phuket), Khao Lak (Phang Nga), Cha Weng Beach (Samui Island in Surat Thani), most of Pattaya, and on Khao San Road, Soi Cowboy (Bangkok).”

“Entertainment venues opening hours in these zones need to be extended legally until 4:00 A.M.. Current heavy handed enforcement of earlier times is hurting tourism and these businesses. International tourists in particular do not like going home at midnight or 2AM.”

“In addition, outside these zones we need to be allowed to sell alcohol until 2:00 A.M. as now we are only allowed until midnight. For the special zones we need to be allowed to sell alcohol until 4:00 A.M. legally.”

“Finally, the alcohol sale hours ban during 2:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. needs to be reconsidered as the ban hours do not solve social problems or prevent accidents.” Ms. Kemmigar concluded.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is expected to officially petition the Thai Cabinet for these changes next week, notes The Pattaya News.

However, the energy ministry has called for the opposite. Due to rising fuel prices and energy costs a proposal has been made to mandate reduced hours for nightlife venues, malls, gas stations, and some other businesses.

https://tpnnational.com/2022/11/10/ente ... sales-ban/
BKKDreamer

Re: Entertainment venues want extended hours and end afternoon 2-5pm alcohol sales ban

Post by BKKDreamer »

“Finally, the alcohol sale hours ban during 2:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. needs to be reconsidered as the ban hours do not solve social problems or prevent accidents.” Ms. Kemmigar concluded.
I would truly welcome the removal of this ban.
Often in pre-preparation for my nighttime visitors, I need to get the appropriate Chang, Singha, and Leo beers before the guys arrive.
Yes I can do it before 2pm or after 5pm - but it would be nice if I can be free to do it when I am already out and about, which often coincides with the 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm ban hours.
Gaybutton

Re: Entertainment venues want extended hours and end afternoon 2-5pm alcohol sales ban

Post by Gaybutton »

BKKDreamer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:33 am I would truly welcome the removal of this ban.
I think so would we all. The logic of it (or lack of logic) never made sense to me and I have yet to see an explanation for it that ever made any sense to me. Any idiot could buy all the alcohol they want in advance or even the same day before or after the ban goes into effect.

I don't know who came up with the ban or how the hours were determined, but it's been on my "I Don't Get It" list since the day it started.