Bar Reports

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Bar Reports

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiophilus wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:13 pm Tattoos on Thai/Lao/Khmer/etc. boys are traditionally not there for decoration but for their supernatural properties.
I'm well aware of that, but that's not what I'm talking about. The tattoos you refer to are done at Wats and are tattooed on their backs, in one color - and these days that tradition is rapidly disappearing.

I don't think I really need to explain the difference between those and the tattoos I'm complaining about, do I?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:15 am Another thing I like about the photos in Jun's post above is what I don't see - tattoos. A small tattoo here and there doesn't bother me, but some of these boys are covered in them. That turns me right off.
I agree.
In fact, I can't think of one permanent body modification that I like. The list of dislikes includes tattoos, lip enlargement, adding/enlarging breasts, piercings, cock implants and circumcision.
Whilst I respect the right of others to get such things done, I still have a right to dislike it.
thaiophilus wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:13 pmOn farangs, however... Never mind the aesthetic arguments, I wouldn't let someone tattoo me in a language I can't read.
Very good advice.
I expect many of us have seen T-shirts with English slogans that an English speaker would be most unlikely to wear. I remember seeing some fine examples in the Czech Republic about 30 years ago. Why make such a mistake permanent ?

The one thing I have noticed is the tattoos and the moustaches seem to be going out of fashion. Which is very good news.

And on the subject of bars, it's a pity there are not more photos of fine bars like Euro Boys around. [Yes, I do understand the reasons for that].
SP55

Post by SP55 »

X-boys have started daily shows again, at 11 pm. The show was very good and contained 10 different boys. Lots of nudity and more...
The only downside was that they've also raised drinkprices dramatically - now 280 for customer and 300 for boydrink.

Toyboys have also unfortunately raised their prices again. Now 280 baht for customerdrink as well as for boydrink.

The Boyztown agogos are starting to get near the Bangkok agogo prices.
Jun

Post by Jun »

SP55 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:11 amToyboys have also unfortunately raised their prices again. Now 280 baht for customerdrink as well as for boydrink.
I think my last Boyztown gogo bar drink was 200 baht in Cupidol, which was the same price as Nice Boys. That was good value, as Cupidol had quite a nice selection of boys.

Expanding on the Bangkok gogo bar comparison:
1 In Bangkok it typically costs almost 1500 to get a lad off the premises, with the minimum of 2 drinks and an off fee
2 A short time off from a gogo bar is often a somewhat rushed experience
3 After this, he's likely to expect not less than 2000 baht. That's in a city where there are plenty of phone app lads willing to show up and spend some quality time with the customer for 1500. Some ask for less than that.

So we're up to almost 3500 baht for a Bangkok gogo bar off, compared with 1500 for a phone app off & I usually get better service off the phone apps.

Admittedly, Toy Boys is the only Boyztown bar likely to interest me.
If they're charging 280 baht for a drink, I could just about live with it if they have a good selection of boys in skimpy underwear, who take good care of the customer and have tip expectations in line with the rest of the market. However, that is probably too optimistic.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

To me it's all just typically Thai. Not enough customers and not making enough money, therefore raise the prices, but do virtually nothing to attract more customers.

Boys on stage in skimpy underwear? Maybe that's good enough for some, but nowhere near good enough for me. For years I've been saying to make the bars fun places to go and charge reasonable prices, but that falls on deaf ears. It will take much more than skimpy underwear to get me to pay those kinds of prices.

I want to see Pattaya become a gay mecca again and see a new proliferation of go-go bars, but the bars need to learn it's a two-way street. You want me to come to your bar? I'll be delighted once you make it worth my while - and money . . .
bi-top

Post by bi-top »

Jun wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:36 pm
SP55 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:11 amToyboys have also unfortunately raised their prices again. Now 280 baht for customerdrink as well as for boydrink.
Admittedly, Toy Boys is the only Boyztown bar likely to interest me.
If they're charging 280 baht for a drink, I could just about live with it if they have a good selection of boys in skimpy underwear, who take good care of the customer and have tip expectations in line with the rest of the market. However, that is probably too optimistic.
Jun, Toy Boys has a rate card - they hand it to you when sitting with a boy. I agree that the drinks are expensive -- 470b for a customer drink plus boy drink. I think the rate card was 500 barfine, 1500 short time and either 2500 or 3000 long but don't count on my memory for fact.
gaybutton wrote: I want to see Pattaya become a gay mecca again and see a new proliferation of go-go bars, but the bars need to learn it's a two-way street. You want me to come to your bar? I'll be delighted once you make it worth my while - and money . . .
You said yourself -- the chicken or the egg.

You are waiting for more boys (and "better" bars) and the bars are waiting for more customers. Shouldn't we be supporting Winner Boys and Nice Boys with a boy drink or two each time we go out just as an encouragement of the boys -- so they will look for more boys for the club?? Aren't we partially responsible to help them grow if we want to the market to also grow? Sunee boys making profit are what will bring more sunee bars.

That is *IF* Sunee ever returns. I often wonder if the move to Jomtien will cause all of gay pattaya (excluding the overpriced boyztown) to migrate to Jomtien (even if it is not at supertown/jomtien complex).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bi-top wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:59 am Shouldn't we be supporting Winner Boys and Nice Boys with a boy drink or two each time we go out just as an encouragement of the boys -- so they will look for more boys for the club??
In my opinion, no. Like I said, it's a two-way street. The bars are a business - a for profit business. They are not some kind of charity doing me any favors merely by existing. Farang customers have been supporting the bars just as you said for many years. In all that time you know what I've seen the go-go bars do to attract customers? Other than raising their prices, NOTHING. They don't even listen to us about how the boys should dress, how the boys should behave, the lighting, the music volume, or anything else.

When I see the bars start making a truly serious effort to attract and keep customers, that's when I'll be much more supportive. If they want my business, it's up to them to earn it and deserve it.
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

Bi-top - I need to support what GB wrote. I am only here since 2 months and I have suggested to the bars and gogo bars suggestions but they are ignored from us customers. There is an EXTREME rigidity of change. The bar owners feel that their business model is correct and that the falang is just randomly complaining. If instead the bar and gogo bar owners would be more receptive to our feedback - then I think that the declining situation could be turned around.
This should be another element to be added to the Jomtien Complex Supertown web page: https://www.gaysupertown.com/
Since the 30 JC gay bars are already represented within the gaysupertown web page - there should be a way to communicate with the bar management. Then, since this information would be captured digitally, it would render itself for translation from the originating comment language into Thai.

I believe that part of the resistance is the language barrier - as most of the language skills are perfected for facilitating:

- the purchase of drinks,
- the offing of the guys.

Constructive criticism is not on the menu.

This could be a GREAT value added service that the gaysupertown web page could offer - in addition to Bi-top's LINE idea.

Once again, our friends in Sunee and Boyztown would be left out as they are not included in the umbrella of the gaysupertown web site.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I suspect almost all of the JC bar owners speak English. Quite a few of them are European. Having a conversation is a perfectly good method of communication.
I know at least one instance where board members asked a bar to turn down the music and then left when it wasn't turned down. An apology was later offered & the music volume was back at a reasonable levels on future visits to JC.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

BKKDreamer wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:38 pm The bar owners feel that their business model is correct and that the falang is just randomly complaining. If instead the bar and gogo bar owners would be more receptive to our feedback - then I think that the declining situation could be turned around.
I agree. As I said, any suggestions coming from the customers invariably fall on deaf ears. I would have thought by now the go-go bar owners would realize that something is wrong and if they want to save their businesses they need to do something. But they never do.

Maybe they've forgotten the days when the go-go bars were packed with customers almost nightly, even during low season. Maybe they forgot that there were so many boys working in the bars that many were paid nothing and were there only to freelance. Maybe they forgot the days when if there was a go-go boy you liked, you needed to actually reserve him for the next night to make sure somebody else doesn't take him off. Maybe they forgot the days when if customers wanted the best selections, they needed to be in the bars the moment the doors opened for the evening.

I also would have thought the boys themselves would have realized they're not getting taken off very often, if at all, and would be trying to come up with ways to attract their potential customers. Getting customers - Isn't that why they're working in the bars in the first place?

Look at the way things are now, especially the prices. And they wonder why the customers don't come . . .

It's just more items for my "I Don't Get It" list.