Pattaya exPat clubs - PEC, PCEC, ATEC

Anything and everything about Thailand
BKKDreamer

Pattaya exPat clubs - PEC, PCEC, ATEC

Post by BKKDreamer »

Hello,

Yesterday, I attended my first exPat club meeting at the PCEC meeting place, which is held at the Holiday Inn Pattaya's Bay Tower - 4th floor conference rooms.

I liked what I saw and decided to become a member. They even bought my breakfast because I was a newbie.

My question to all of you is that some of the PCEC members mentioned to me that there are more than one ex-Pat group in Pattaya.
Using the Google search function - I only see 3, as follows:

PCEC - Pattaya City Expats Club - https://pcec.club/
--> seems to have an American USA focus

PEC - Pattaya Expats Club - https://pattayaexpatsclub.info/wp/
--> seems to have a British focus

ATEC - Association of Thailand Expats Clubs - I could not find any related web page or facebook group
--> seems to be an association where all of the various exPat groups throughout Thailand network

So, my questions to all of you are:

1.) Which exPat group here in Pattaya would you recommend - and why?
2.) Are they worthwhile for networking and knowledge sharing ? even for us gays ?

Thanks,

M.
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya exPat clubs - PEC, PCEC, ATEC

Post by Gaybutton »

Don't be disappointed if you don't get much response. Most board members don't live in Pattaya and are not expats in the first place, so wouldn't have had a reason to go to these.

Most expat board members who do live in Pattaya, including me, don't go to these. Only a few do. For me, there is nothing wrong with any of these groups. They are fine, but simply are not my cup of tea.

Maybe a few Pattaya expats will respond. From what I understand, PCEC is the most popular.

My suggestion is to try a few meetings at all of them and see for yourself which one(s) you like best. Then let us know which and why . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Waste of time, nothing but boring old men looking for someone to talk to!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

I attended the PCEC meetings every week when I first moved to Thailand 19 years ago and found them to be a great source of information. I also met some very nice people and continue my friendship with some of them to this day.

Eventually, however, I got bored with the meetings, hearing the same, or similar, speakers every week. I stopped going completely.

So, my advice is to attend as long as you find the meetings helpful and interesting. My understanding is that the PEC meetings are more commercial, so I've always steered clear of them.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I know richsilver well enough to know he is definitely the man to listen to about this. No question about it. He has probably been to many more of these meetings than all the rest of the Pattaya gay expats combined.

If he responds, I'd also listen to daleinpattaya. I believe he's gone to many of these meetings too.

I can't think of any other Pattaya gay expats who go to these. That doesn't mean there aren't any. I don't know the entire expat population here, but I do know these two gents know what they're talking about.

Please don't let these comments dissuade you from going. I think you should see for yourself and make your own decisions.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

richsilver wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:02 pm
Eventually, however, I got bored with the meetings, hearing the same, or similar, speakers every week.I stopped going completely.

I also went 19 years ago because they were offering a well priced expat health plan, I haven’t been back since nor has the friend I went with.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

It's been years since I was a regular at PCEC, but here's my take. Remember, the club is not a "gay" group - even though a lot of the membership is gay. But, I never really enjoyed the general meetings, although there were a few that captured my interest. My problem was I never mastered the art of breaking into pre-established cliques. Attendees were always friendly enough, but I never warmed up to any. That is more a critique of me, than PCEC.
Don't write the club off, though. There were/are many interest groups, sub-clubs, and excursions available where socializing is easier and tuned to your particular interests. Unfortunately, many are in hiatus due to Covid, but I'm sure they will start up again.
You might want to check out their website to keep up to date on what is coming up and the topic of the weekly meeting. The site's address is:
https://pcec.club/
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

BkkDreamer:

1.) Which exPat group here in Pattaya would you recommend - and why?
2.) Are they worthwhile for networking and knowledge sharing ? even for us gays ?
I think you made the right choice as you yourself said:
I liked what I saw and decided to become a member.
That is really all that matters. Unlike the other comments re the PCEC, I attended my first meeting some 19 years ago (on the recommendation at that time by Richsilver) and like you, liked what I saw. First, as still relatively new to living in Thailand, I was looking for answers questions I had about living in Thailand as an Expat. Second, I was looking to meet and socialize with other expats. The PCEC met both those expectations.

I continue to attend meetings - while some speakers are interesting, others are not; but there is a variety including those that are informative and in some cases offering entertainment. As mentioned, the PCEC website (https://pcec.club/) lists the upcoming speaker and topic. But, it also has a lot of information, especially about living in Thailand (banking, driving, healthcare, etc.) and Thai Immigration information in general and more specifically at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration Office on Jomtien Soi 5. Based on reports from their members and other expats, the Immigration information is generally up to date. They have some checklists for documents needed for retirement or married to a Thai extensions.

Also, they have a weekly Newsletter that includes information on the upcoming speaker, events, and more. You do not have to be a member to subscribe to their newsletter - there is a link on their home page to do that. Also as mentioned, prior to the Coronavirus interruptions, they did have several "special interest" groups formed by their members which included several discussion groups, a bowling group, etc. as well as trips organized by their members. These groups are now starting to reappear. They offer folks with similar interests to meet and socialize.

The PCEC used to be referred to as the "American" Club and the PEC as the "English" Club. However, the PCEC no longer has a predominance of Americans on their Governing Board or as members. They are now fairly divided among folks from the UK, Australia, USA, and Canada with a few from other countries. As to gay members or attendees, I know there are several besides myself. All are made to feel welcome.

I can't offer any information about the other club, but there are some Expats that are members of both and attend both club's meetings. I have heard others say they consider the PCEC to be the friendlier club of the two.

If you want to know more about the PEC, then review their website and attend some of their meetings and make your own comparison.
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

Dear all.
Thanks for all of your individual replies.
It is truly appreciated.
I will attend some more meetings of the PCEC and eventually go and check out the PEC.
Then I can decide which club suits my needs more.
I will give some feedback of my journey in the spirit of knowledge sharing.
Cheers,
M.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Since I use Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, I get a 10% discount for drugs at the pharmacy which easily pays for club membership. Years ago there was just one club, but I understand Niels Colov (Pattaya People conglomerate) split and formed the PEC. The PCEC has or had ties to the Pattaya Mail as there was a photographer and weekly article about the club meetings. I was a regular attendee when the club met on Sunday mornings.