Presenting - A new disease - Now it's Monkeypox

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Re: Presenting - A new disease - Now it's Monkeypox

Post by RichLB »

I remember reading back when Monkey pox first appeared that those who had been vaccinated for small pox when a child are protected against Monkey pox - even though that vaccination was done years ago. Is that still the prevailing wisdom?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Rocket wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:20 pm I agree with you gb. This is feeling like Covid/ hiv. I can imagine this spreading throughout the gay community in Thailand. I hope we’re overreacting but I’m all for the Thai authorities doing whatever it takes to prevent this.
It seems far less severe than covid, as it doesn't seem to spread as much and appears to have a lower death rate. Globally, there are 3 deaths in 6000 cases from this outbreak (source: gov.uk).

Admittedly, having painful sores in certain places and having to isolate would certainly spoil a holiday.
So, at the moment I have a slight interest in getting a vaccine. That would be a much stronger interest if I heard of cases in Pattaya ahead of the next holiday.
Rocket wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:20 pmI’m getting my second vaccine jab in a week.
Where are you getting that and which vaccine is it ?
In the UK, I think the vaccines have been targetted at the most promiscuous people. I'd have to lie about the amount of action I'm getting, but I'm not prepared to do that whilst vaccines are genuinely in short supply.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:04 pm Admittedly, having painful sores in certain places and having to isolate would certainly spoil a holiday.
It is definitely a disease I don't want and apparently I take it much more seriously than you do. I'm glad the death rate is low and I hope it stays that way, but I also don't need a painful disease like this.

If Thailand can prevent having to go through it, then I'm all for whatever Thailand does to prevent it. If it comes to that, if restrictions are imposed again, I'll take the restrictions rather than this disease.

So far Thailand seems to have it under control and no kinds of restrictions have been imposed. Nobody has been blaming gays.

Don't worry, sooner or later the next terrible disease will turn up . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:51 pm I remember reading back when Monkey pox first appeared that those who had been vaccinated for small pox when a child are protected against Monkey pox - even though that vaccination was done years ago. Is that still the prevailing wisdom?
See: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newslett ... -monkeypox

From what I gather from this article, the longer it's been the less effective it becomes in preventing Monkey Pox.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:36 pmapparently I take it much more seriously than you do
Oh, I take it seriously, but I'm not going to spend a great deal of time worrying about a disease with a 1 in 2000 death rate and a very low & declining incidence rate in the UK. Declining without much in the way of precautions.
If it gets into the Pattaya money boy population ahead of my next holiday, I'll be much more concerned. That would require some decisions to be made.

Here's another extract from the Bloomberg article you linked to.
“Smallpox vaccination can protect you at about 85% from monkeypox infection for about three to five years,” she says. “After that time, its ability to protect you against infection decreases, but experts believe it would still protect against severe illness.

I guess a good proportion of board members may benefit from that. I shall have to get a copy of my vaccination record.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:02 pm If it gets into the Pattaya money boy population ahead of my next holiday, I'll be much more concerned.
So far no cases reported.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Jun wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:04 pm Where are you getting that and which vaccine is it ?
I’ve gotten the Jynneos vaccine, one full dose so far. The next one will only be 1/5 of a dose into my skin. They’ve broken one dose into 5 in order to create more. Typical of USA, just like printing money out of nowhere. The maker of the vaccine isn’t sure if it will work as there have been a lack of research on it. So it might not work.

I received it at my local health clinic. They only asked me if I know what the requirements were. I’ve had no sex since being in Thailand. So I wasn’t telling the truth. Well maybe not, as I just said I knew the requirements.

I’m certainly not going to miss the vaccine since I plan on having sex in Thailand. I worked very hard all my life, paying taxes and I’m not going to let some promiscuous, unemployed drug addict go ahead of me. They should have all the vaccine ready since the government’s create gain of function viruses, then let them escape their labs.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I was half joking about the last part. But my state was probably allocated too much vaccine and the leftovers will go to New York. We don’t have many gays in our state. They did ask me if I received the small pox vaccine about 55 years ago and I said I didn’t know. It’s probably not very effective after all these years.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thai woman having intimate contact with foreign man reported latest monkeypox case

By Pattaya Mail

August 30, 2022

Thailand has so far detected 7 cases of monkeypox. The Minister of Public Health said these reports reflect the effectiveness of a stringent screening system in place.

According to the Department of Disease Control (DDC), the latest monkeypox patient, a 37-year-old Thai woman in Bangkok, has no history of traveling to countries with an active outbreak or being in contact with rodents. She has however had intimate contact with a foreign man prior to her illness.

The department has identified 3 close contacts with the Thai female patient who are her senior relatives to whom she paid a visit. They are now asked to closely monitor their symptoms until 11 September, which would mark the end of the incubation period.

DDC Director General Opas Karnkawinpong said monkeypox is not easily transmitted or leads to severe illnesses. He recommends that everyone wear a face mask when they are close to other people, frequently wash their hands using soap and water or use hand sanitizer, and refrain from getting intimate with a stranger.

Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul said the DDC is following its protocol to conduct disease investigations with high-risk contacts, including the foreign man who has had sex with the latest patient.
He said reports of monkeypox cases reflect the effectiveness of the disease screening measures, as well as the alertness of the general public to get screened, once they exhibit suspicious symptoms.

The Minister of Public Health reassured the general public that monkeypox is not a scary disease, as transmissions are unlikely among those without risk behaviors. The disease is also curable with treatments.

On the easing of COVID-19 travel restrictions, especially since the lifting of the quarantine requirement for unvaccinated travelers to Singapore, Mr. Anutin said Thailand still needs travelers to show their vaccination certificate. However, the measure can be relaxed further if the situation continues to improve.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... ase-408449
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Karma comes back to bite me after my previous post.
I received my second dose of small pox and two days later I had to go to urgent care and get meds for a shingles outbreak. Luckily the antiviral worked and the shingles went away. Having had the shingrix vaccine previously helped. However I’ve been sick as a dog for five days so far.

I’m sure it’s a result of the vaccine, affecting my immune system. This is why I no longer get the flu shot. Had a reaction to that before. Guess it shows that the vaccine is working, but I’m not sure I’d have gotten it had I known how sick I would get.