Presenting - A new disease - Now it's Monkeypox

Anything and everything about Thailand
Rocket

Re: Presenting - A new disease - Now it's Monkeypox

Post by Rocket »

It didn’t tell me very much either. One point made was, like hiv, anal sex was most likely the way to acquire the worst presenting symptoms, painful sores in that area.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

It’s difficult to understand the doctors English. From what I heard, Thailand has 10,000 vaccine doses stored from 1980 in powder form that will be available at the end of August. However, they aren’t sure if they will be effective.

They are ordering the modern vaccine from the USA. However, it might not be available till next year. So let’s hope it’s not a big problem.
Jun

Post by Jun »

An interesting article from The Economist. If you register, I think you can read 3 articles per month for free. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... ad-further
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I don’t want to register to read the article. But I love the heading. Monkey Pox unlikely to get worse.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Rocket wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:21 amI don’t want to register to read the article.
The Economist does have some really good articles.

As for the vaccines, as most will have noticed, the vaccine they are giving out is a smallpox vaccine. The US stopped routine smallpox vaccines in 1971 and the UK in 1972.
I'm not sure what at what age they were giving people the vaccine, however I presume some board members will have had that vaccine.
Are any aware of that ?

From what I've read, I believe vaccine side effects and eradication of Smallpox were behind the decision to stop. The newer vaccines are supposedly better for side effects.

Thankfully, there are still no stories of Monkeypox on the Thai gay scene. If it does appear, vaccination starts to get more interesting, as a 2~4 week infection would spoil a holiday.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Yes, I received my small pox vaccine probably about 1968. However it’s probably not effective now.
The new vaccine doesn’t use a live virus, so people who are immune compromised can take it. The one before this had more side effects, so it wasn’t recommended for say someone hiv positive.

I received the first dose a couple weeks ago. The day before they changed the policy here in USA. Now they break up one dose into five and inject it into the outer skin. If it breaks out in Thailand there could be a panic like here in USA now. It’s on the news everyday and there’s not enough vaccine to go around. If it does break out in Thailand, I’ll show my twinks my vaccination card, maybe I should get it translated to Thai.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

This Is Not the Monkeypox That Doctors Thought They Knew, New York Times, Aug. 26, 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/26/heal ... ptoms.html

the full article is a good read as an update on where we might be heading with MonkeyPox thinking, some teasers ...
The patients turning up at clinics often have a range of symptoms that are not typical of the infection. Some of the infected seem to have no symptoms at all.
Scientists now know that the monkeypox virus lurks in saliva, semen and other bodily fluids, sometimes for weeks after recovery. The virus has always been known to spread through close contact, but many researchers suspect the infection may also be transmitted through sex itself.
Early in the outbreak, the C.D.C. said that “people who do not have monkeypox symptoms cannot spread the virus to others.” The agency changed that phrasing on July 29 to say that “scientists are still researching” the possibility of asymptomatic transmission."
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Jun

Post by Jun »

The New York Times wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:00 pm
Scientists now know that the monkeypox virus lurks in saliva, semen and other bodily fluids, sometimes for weeks after recovery. The virus has always been known to spread through close contact, but many researchers suspect the infection may also be transmitted through sex itself".
The biggest risk here seems to be a silly over reaction by the Thai government.

For reference, here is a plot of case numbers by week for the UK. This hardly seems to be a disaster. Image

As for the NY Times, I've exhausted my allowance of free articles. They're offering a subscription for an exceptionally reasonable price of £20 per year. Very tempting, although I don't really need a subscription to a US newspaper.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

You and I see things very differently. Thailand now has 7 confirmed Monkey Pox cases. Of course, it's not a disaster - yet. I, for one, am fully in favor of the Thai government doing everything possible, even if some of it seems over the top, to prevent it from ever becoming a disaster. So far there has not been any significant rule changes or imposed regulations, but if it does come to that, it will have my support - even if I don't like it.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I agree with you gb. This is feeling like Covid/ hiv. I can imagine this spreading throughout the gay community in Thailand. I hope we’re overreacting but I’m all for the Thai authorities doing whatever it takes to prevent this. At least it’s a DNA virus and can’t mutate like Covid.

I’m getting my second vaccine jab in a week.