Presenting - A new disease - Now it's Monkeypox

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Presenting - A new disease - Now it's Monkeypox

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:53 pm I've again published UK data
Why? What relevance does that have for Thailand? Do you think the way it is happening in the UK is the way to expect it to happen in Thailand? To me it would make just as much sense to tell us the statistics for Uruguay.

Since apparently you like doing this kind of research and since this is a board about Thailand, maybe you can come up with charts letting us know what is happening in Thailand.

Here is the latest for Thailand:

Thailand's 3rd monkeypox case found in Phuket

by Apinya Wipatayotin

3 Aug, 2022

Thailand's third case of monkeypox has been found in Phuket, Department of Disease Control director-general Opas Karnkawinpong said on Wednesday.

Dr Opas said the latest monkeypox case is a 25-year-old German man who arrived in Phuket on July 18 as a tourist.

The man was believed to have caught the virus in another country because the incubation period is 21 days. Officials were tracking down people who had been in close contact with him, for examination, he said.

Dr Opas said the patient was found to have a fever, with blisters and a rash that began in his groin area before spreading to other parts of his body. The symptoms coincided with information from the World Health Organisation, that blisters and rashes are found around the genitalia of 98% of those infected, and most of them are homosexual or bisexual.

Phuket public health chief Kusak Kukiatikoon gave additional details on Wednesday afternoon.

Dr Kusak confirmed that the German patient arrived in Phuket with his Thai wife on July 18. He was not a homosexual or bisexual, he said.

While in Phuket, they had stayed with his wife's family in Muang district. The couple had gone out sightseeing but had not visited any entertainment venues.

On July 23-24 he developed a fever, a rash and blisters. By July 30-31 the rash and blisters had spread. They started in his genital area and had spread to his arms, hands and other parts of the body by Aug 1. On Tuesday he went to a hospital and took a blood test. He was then admitted for treatment.

There were initially seven people, including his wife and her family, who had been in close contact with him. None showed any symptoms. His wife had a blood test and was awaiting the result. She was in home isolation.

As for Thailand's first two monkeypox cases, a Nigerian man and a Thai man, Dr Opas said the two were recovering steadily without taking antiviral medication. The Nigerian was treated in Cambodia.

The Phuket public health office would give any further details on the third case, he said.

He said the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation had ordered monkeypox vaccine from abroad and delivery was expected this month. It would be for two groups of people - medical personnel and people in close contact with monkeypox patients up to 14 days previously.

Dr Opas stressed that people infected with monkeypox can recover unaided. It is not severe or easily transmitted, he said.

According to a worldwide infection report, of about 20,000 known patients only three had died. No deaths occurred among people with no prior chronic disease, he said.

Dr Somsak Akksilp, director-general of the Department of Medical Services, said people who suspect they may have been infected should get a medical examination within 24 hours. The result of a laboratory test would be known in three to four hours. Most patients do not need antiviral medication.

A proposal under consideration is that patients whose symptoms are not severe and do not have a chronic disease should be treated in home isolation, he added.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -in-phuket
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:43 am Why? What relevance does that have for Thailand? Do you think the way it is happening in the UK is the way to expect it to happen in Thailand? To me it would make as much sense to tell us the statistics for Uruguay.
An example to demonstrate the relevance:
Covid numbers have demonstrated exponential growth and decay in every single major country I've looked at statistics for.
The extent of that may vary according to measures taken, but it's still been exponential growth in every country.

If we take the monkeypox graph plotted earlier, the infection rate is currently declining and from a low level, even though I'm not aware of any compulsory measures to prevent spread in the UK. No sign at all of exponential growth here.
So I see no reason to expect exponential growth in Thailand either. [I might be wrong, since I'm not an expert in immunology, but so far that's not stopped any of us from commenting]

We could look at the Thai stats, but with only a couple of imported cases, we will not learn much from a graph.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Just on the news here in the USA, they are saying it’s doubling every week. It’s also mentioned within ten minutes of every newscast.

I’m scheduled for the interview for the vaccine tomorrow. I’m not sure if I’ll be approved as I’m over 50. I probably had the small pox vaccine when I was very young and I’ve seen a utube video stating the monkey pox only affects people under 50. This video was from a month ago but the theory is the small pox vaccine used before 1980 will offer some immunity. It was generally wiped out after 1980.

Also I had to have anonymous sex with two partners within the past 14 days. I know it’s dishonest but I might try this route. I hate to deny someone else the vaccine who needs it, but I can’t count on getting the vaccine when I travel to Thailand. If I tell them it was a Grinder encounter they might want to verify this. I’m a bit conflicted about what to do.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:48 am We could look at the Thai stats, but with only a couple of imported cases, we will not learn much from a graph.
Let's hope it stays that way. But I don't see how it can. I hope I'm totally wrong, but I believe the reality is sooner or later this disease will manage to get into Thailand and start spreading. Then unfortunately you'll be able to do a more relevant graph.

I don't know about anyone else, but if my crotch starts badly itching it's off to the doctor for me. Actually, if there was no such thing as Monkeypox, but that happens to me, it's off to the doctor anyway.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

All the bar boys -- and sexually active Gay expats -- should receive vaccinations for monkey pox.
I wonder if the vaccines are available in Thailand. I am not a doctor, but it is my understanding that the vaccine is safe and effective.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:21 am I wonder if the vaccines are available in Thailand.
Not yet. The latest news says 1000 doses are being sent to Thailand. Obviously that isn't even a drop in the bucket. Many millions of doses will be necessary, but not available yet. I just hope if the vaccine really will prevent Monkeypox, Thailand gets enough before it is too late.

Here is a couple for you to research, Jun. Is there any information out there that lets us know if any people who were vaccinated got the disease anyway? And those who do get the disease - once it's over are they now immune or could they get it again? Is any of that information available yet?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I hope this won't spoil anyone's holiday, but . . .
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Monkeypox: Thais advised to avoid sexual contact with foreigners, hotels advised to clean properly

by Webfact

August 5, 2022

A member of the Medical Council of Thailand has advised Thais to avoid sexual contact with foreign nationals to help contain the spread of monkeypox.

He even warned there could be deaths among people with other serious health issues if they became infected.

This comes despite the fact that the disease can't be transmitted via sexual contact.

Though information available online says that monkeypox spreads through close skin-to-skin physical contact with infected individuals such as when having sex or contamination with such items as bedding, towels or clothes, said the NSW government health department in Australia.

Council member Amon Leelarasami said that Thais could become infected from the virus because of secretions from blisters on the body.

Most cases worldwide so far are among gay and bisexual men according to aidsmap.com while the World Health Organisation has warned that men who have sex with men are the group at the highest risk of infection right now.

WHO chief Tedros Ghebreyesus has said that such men should consider limiting their sexual partners to lower risks and contain spread.

He called for authorities and governments to fight stigma in comments to CNBC last week but the statements from Amon are unlikely to do that, notes ASEAN NOW.

Amon said he was uncertain whether monkeypox would become endemic in Thailand. The council itself contains no such warning about limiting sexual contact with foreigners according to their online page.

But Amon was clearly worried. He said that the disease could get out of control if it spreads in monkeys, rabbits and rats.

And there could even be deaths if human patients have underlying conditions like cancer or immune deficiency problems, he warned in comments to English print media.

He said that people who develop fever, blisters and a red rash should take a monkeypox test immediately and isolate for three weeks.

He also called for hotel operators to clean rooms in line with international standards to contain the spread.

More than 20,000 cases have been found around the world with more than 5,000 in the US, he said, adding that the virus had been found in all but three US states.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1267898-monk ... -properly/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up to 4 cases now - and this time it's a woman. So much for it being a gay men's disease.

Thai woman with monkeypox in Bangkok found in close contact with foreigners

By Pattaya Mail

August 5, 2022

he Department of Disease Control reported the country’s fourth monkeypox case, a 22-year-old woman in close contact with foreigners.

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the department, said the Thai woman had visited weekly entertainment places in Bangkok’s areas frequented by foreigners and also had close contact with foreign men.

She had a fever on July 29 but continued to visit entertainment places with Thai and foreign friends. On July 30 she had blisters on her limbs and they expanded all over her body including her sex organ. On Aug 3 she went to a hospital in Samut Prakan province. The Department of Medical Sciences and the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University confirmed she had monkeypox on the following day. She was then admitted to Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute for treatment.

Dr Opas said disease control officials in Chon Buri and Bangkok were searching for two people at high risk – the patient’s roommate and the foreign man. He stressed that monkeypox was not easily transmissible and infection resulted only from very close contact.

Risk groups of people should refrain from close contact or intercourse with strangers to reduce the risk of monkeypox infection, the disease control chief said.

As of Aug 4, there were 26,208 monkeypox cases in 83 countries.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... ers-405818
Maxxyz

Post by Maxxyz »

Monkeypox: Enough of the Lies

Ever since the monkeypox outbreak began in the global north several months ago, there's been misinformation, hysteria and outright lies. Despite all the evidence that the virus is overwhelmingly being spread by sex between men, stating this fact has been widely portrayed online as stigmatising, while false claims that the whole population is at severe risk have spread like wildfire online. Gruesomely, all the wrong lessons from the AIDS pandemic are being learned. It's time to give you the facts - and nothing but the facts - so we're joined by the brilliant science writer Benjamin Ryan to explain exactly what's going on - and everything you need to know.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Unless I missed it, that 30 minute video isn't telling us much that we can't infer from a combination of the data and common sense.

The one thing I did learn is that the lesions in, er, sensitive areas can be extremely painful. Elsewhere, I read that co codamol is recommended for dealing with the pain.