The Future of Entertainment in Bars

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: The Future of Entertainment in Bars

Post by Jun »

Rocket wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:19 pm Green Day’s record came out around 1991, yikes, and this group is from about that time or earlier. So it’s not clear who was first.
This seems to be the same Japanese track from 1988. Unfortunately, they are fully clothed here.

Rocket wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:19 pm Sorry to steer off course, but back on subject. I love the new Corner Bar in Jomtien. They play some great rock music, and I enjoy hanging there because of it. Also some great pool players. I’m into twinks but I might try out one of the straight guys from there my next trip.
When referring to "Entertainment" in bars, I was originally thinking of a gogo bar with a show, or possibly a cabaret bar.
However, if such bars don't put on the kind of shows we want to see, for a night out, we're either going to visit a good gogo bar with no shows, such as Winner or go to a Jomtien host bar. Unsurprisingly, Jomtien is exactly where all the growth has been in the gay bar scene.

Here's another example that's close to what I would be looking to see in a bar show. This one is from Toolbox in Phnom Penh. Not my photo, but Toolbox is one bar I would go back to, except, of course, it has closed.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Oh yeah! I would also love a bar like in the photo above! I just don’t see that happening, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

I am also tired of the drag shows and would like more go gos like Winner Bar. Even more Nice Boy type bars.

I hear some say that the bars need to get more creative and think of something new to draw customers. I think they just need some nice looking talent in the bar. They do recruit new guys, the problem is they aren’t offed enough and leave.

Jun, you would have loved a couple twinks that worked at Nice Boys. The problem being they were not working there when you went. Because they weren’t making enough money to stay. Not enough demand.

For whatever reason, jomtien got hot and drew away business from Sunee. But no go gos allowed so just generic host bars. Winner bar and Toy Boys iare the last hope for a twink go go bar. A real hot twink who used to work at Cupidolls was at Winner bar for a while, but my last trip there in January thru April he was gone.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Seldom has Nice Boys had any twinks and at the moment Winner is very short on any boys also because of few customers NB has mostly the same boys that have been there for years, without offs these two bars cannot hold on to staff let alone get new boys so it is a vicious cycle of customers not seeing enough boys and don’t return and boys not having customers.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Rocket wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:14 am Jun, you would have loved a couple twinks that worked at Nice Boys. The problem being they were not working there when you went. Because they weren’t making enough money to stay. Not enough demand.
The process at Nice Boys is almost exactly as Undaunted described. I visit, the bar has no boys that interest me and I decide not to visit again. After doing that a few times, I decide to increase the interval between visits to 2~3 years.
The customers who like the type of boy there almost certainly visit more frequently & the rest of us don't.
If they introduce a couple of cute twinks, the customers who like them don't know about it, so they don't visit. So the twinks get no trade.

Incidentally, Nice Boys did have one cute twink on my last visit. He spent the entire time sat on a sofa playing some game on his phone. That's neither the kind of entertainment I visit a gogo bar to see nor the way to put himself in the shop window as a candidate for an off.

As for customer numbers, well tourist numbers are heavily down.
39.9 million in 2019. 3.12 million in the first 7 months of 2022. So not far over 5 million annualised.
If I remember correctly, Thailand has now abolished all the entry restrictions, but many of the airlines have not resumed running flights. Possibly as they don't trust the Junta to carry on with no restrictions ? The prices for direct flights in July & August was abnormally high. This would not encourage tourists.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Last night I went or Nice Boys,I was the only customer and 7 boys on stage who have been there forever, I will not return, they should close till November with a whole new staff or serious consider closing for good!
Having read on another board a post that Dream Boys had many boys I went and yes there were at least 15 on the stage and the drinks are slightly less expensive than NB however, I didn’t get that loving feeling so finished my drink and went home.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I can’t argue with anything either of you have said. It’s a viscous cycle of not enough customers and not enough good looking boys.

Dream Boys sounds promising but it’s not hands on like Nice Boys, so not as much fun and it’s a bit more difficult to choose an off. I like to see their equipment before offing them.

If Nice Boys closed till November and brought back fresh blood, that would be nice. But kind of cruel to fire the old staff. Marc is still a hunk but has a bad attitude. Shop doesn’t seem to age. Golf has a good attitude and Champ is handsome but very tiny where it counts.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:19 pm Having read on another board a post by an old fat bald expat who spends much of his time in Pattaya’s gay venues that Dream Boys had many boys I went and yes there were at least 15 on the stage and the drinks are slightly less expensive than NB
What type of boys did Dreamboys have ?

Over the years, they have sometimes had a few nice twinks.
The bar has by no means been reliable for that, like Winner or Toy Boys.
However, picking through the depleted list of gogo bars in Pattaya, Dream Boys would be 3rd on my list for a visit. Perhaps a 30% chance of it being worth it, based on the track record.
Almost no chance for the others.
(Observations based on my preference for twinks. I respect that others may have different preferences)

On the subject of entertainment, here's a picture showing another example of what doesn't attract me to gogo bar shows......
A boy that's not my type, in tattoos and another one surrounded by some useless net curtain (2019). They must think this is an attraction, as most of the promotional posts for the show on their facebook page include net curtains.

And one showing some boys that might get me through the door (2019). Quite a good selection from this angle & the four guys furthest from the camera seem to be in very good shape & the other two are OK. Not a single tattoo visible from this angle. Nice underwear.
If they had these boys on stage, then had the same set of boys doing the kind of show I have in mind, this would definitely be a bar to visit.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun, dream boys had a few twinks mostly manly guys I imagine most were straight mid twenties, all shirtless all wearing jeans.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:32 pm all wearing jeans.
Well that's nowhere near as pleasant as the nice red underwear seen in the previous picture.
Much less likely to get my custom as well, since as soon as the clothes go on, they are competing with Jomtien.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:37 am as soon as the clothes go on, they are competing with Jomtien.
That is a very good point. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I agree. What's the point of paying go-go bar prices when you can see the same thing in the Jomtien Complex for much less - and a great many more boys too?