Baht Continues to Weaken

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Baht Continues to Weaken

Post by Jun »

US interest rates increased by another 0.75%. Increasing interest rates have to be a factor in the strengthening dollar, (which is what the title of this thread ought to refer to).

Hopefully the Bank of England will step up to the plate at their next meeting on 4 August. With inflation at near 10% and interest rates at 1.25%, they are way behind the curve.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Whether it is the baht weakening, the dollar strengthening, or a combination of both, to me it's a "who cares" as long as the exchange rate is moving in our favor. I hope the wheel has finally turned and the exchange rate continues to improve - and stays improved.

I'm not expecting to see it reach 45 baht to the US dollar again, as it did many years ago, but you for sure won't hear me complaining if it does.

I'm planning to save that extra money for a rainy day. And when there's enough of it, bring on the monsoon!
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:09 am Whether it is the baht weakening, the dollar strengthening, or a combination of both, to me it's a "who cares" as long as the exchange rate is moving in our favor. I hope the wheel has finally turned and the exchange rate continues to improve - and stays improved.

I'm not expecting to see it reach 45 baht to the US dollar again, as it did many years ago, but you for sure won't hear me complaining if it does.

I'm planning to save that extra money for a rainy day. And when there's enough of it, bring on the monsoon!
It's the Rainy Season!! ;) Sorry GB, I couldn't resist.

I fully agree with your view, who cares so long as it continues to improve. :D
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The Thai Baht is expected to trade at 37.06 by the end of this quarter (it's close now) , according to Trading Economics global macro models and analysts expectations. Looking forward, they estimate it to trade at 38.34 in 12 months time.

Ya gotta luv the trend.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/currency
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dollar reverses direction:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

And the UK pound falls against the Baht again, down to 43.39 this morning. And I had hoped getting rid of BoJo the Lying Bumbling Lying Buffoon might have helped the UK economy, but I suppose the insanity that is Brexit (the UK leaving the European Union) is continuing to harm the UK economy.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Against the US dollar the exchange rate had improved to the mid 36 level. Now it is in the mid 35 level.

Ok Jun, which is it - strengthening baht or weakening dollar - or both?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:39 pm
......which is it - strengthening baht or weakening dollar - or both?
Maybe neither...just normal variation around an average which is incrementally increasing.

It's impossible not to have this type of variation (fluctuation)...nothing is static.

Experts (so many out there) still see the baht trading at around 37 to the USD by years end... :D
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:29 amExperts (so many out there) still see the baht trading at around 37 to the USD by years end... :D
As always, these "Experts" are likely to be balanced by those who expect the exact opposite. Otherwise the baht would already be at your 37 baht rate.
The exception is where there might be a prolonged interest rate or inflation differential. For instance, Turkey has an inflation rate of 79.6% and interest rates of 14%. Now as long as Turkey sticks with crazy interest rate policies & there is no outbreak of common sense, their exchange rate could reliably be expected to decline.

Thailand is not in such a situation.

Also, a genuine currency expert would be busy making money out of his expertise, rather than sharing his wisdom with the likes of us.

As for the more recent Bloomberg link, if a projected 10 million tourists is responsible for the recovery, imagine what 40 million would do ?