Maggs Restaurant

Anything and everything about Thailand
whitedesire

Maggs Restaurant

Post by whitedesire »

This was a fab place, does anyone know what happened to John and Val who owned and ran it along with the crew
Gaybutton

Re: Maggs Restaurant

Post by Gaybutton »

Magg's has been closed for well over a year and I have seen no signs of an intent to reopen or anyone else taking over. Maybe once enough people start returning to Pattaya someone will open there.

As for what became of the staff and owners, I have no idea. I haven't seen or heard anything about any of them since the day they closed.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

John opened a fishing park somewhere in Pattaya.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

whitedesire wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:56 am This was a fab place, does anyone know what happened to John and Val who owned and ran it along with the crew
This was far better than certain other popular restaurants in Jomtien.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:03 pm This was far better than certain other popular restaurants in Jomtien.
I agree. Food and service was always excellent. I know of no similar restaurants in the immediate area other than Yupin's.

Magg's always had a good customer base. That wasn't the problem. The problem was Magg's was forced to close during the early part of the Covid crisis, when every restaurant in Thailand was forced to close. Magg's didn't survive that. Many restaurants turned to online ordering and delivery. I wish Magg's had tried doing that. I certainly would have been among people to order from them. But they never tried it.

Maybe we'll be lucky and they eventually will reopen, but I wouldn't count on it.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

whitedesire wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:56 am This was a fab place, does anyone know what happened to John and Val who owned and ran it along with the crew
A ladyboy friend of mine used to work in there. Her name is Hack but I believe she had another working name.

She now works in Natans in Jomtien. She also worked in Cock Tails bar last winter.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:16 pm I agree. Food and service was always excellent. I know of no similar restaurants in the immediate area other than Yupin's.
The difference is Maggs could adapt their menu and cope for diverse needs, including vegetarian.

The last time I ate at Maggs, I think they had about 1 vegetarian item on the menu. They quickly proposed about 3 other alternatives, which sounded both appetising & substantial, whilst also giving me confidence that there would be no unpleasant surprises. I had a very nice starter and main. I was very impressed with their attitude and the food. It was the best mid-market farang restaurant I've been to in Pattaya.

Yupins were not so successful. For a starter, I chose the only vegetarian item on the menu, which was a "tomato salad". Unfortunately, this consisted only of sliced tomatoes. Who goes out to eat like that ? Then I had to send the main course salad back, as it wasn't adapted as promised. A few slices of tomato and some white bread does not make a good meal.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:04 am Yupins were not so successful. For a starter, I chose the only vegetarian item on the menu, which was a "tomato salad". Unfortunately, this consisted only of sliced tomatoes. Who goes out to eat like that ?
Are we talking about the same place? Yupin's doesn't even offer a tomato salad.

http://www.yupins.com/our-menus/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:35 am Are we talking about the same place? Yupin's doesn't even offer a tomato salad.
Yes. Yupins. Seeing nothing but a plate of sliced tomatoes arrive as a course is something I don't forget in a hurry. However, perhaps it was a special offered when discussing menu items.

I just wish the owners of Maggs would open another restaurant.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:49 pm Yes. Yupins. Seeing nothing but a plate of sliced tomatoes arrive as a course is something I don't forget in a hurry.
The owner is usually there. Why didn't you complain to him? I know he would have apologized and made it right.

For some reason that reminds me of some stories of my own. Years ago around the Soi Day-Night area there was a well known German owned restaurant, which has since long gone. I can't remember the owner's name or the name of the restaurant - maybe someone can remind me.

I was at a table with a farang friend. We already were getting slow service because the next table was a table for 8, so they were getting the priority. Next thing we knew the waiter started clearing dirty dishes off of that table and he started stacking them on our table.

I stopped him and said, "What do you think you're doing?!?!" He looked at me as if I had lost my mind. I said, "You have a choice. Get those dishes off of my table, and I mean right now, or I can call the owner over and you can tell him why you are putting dishes from that table onto my table."

Of course, the dishes were instantly removed.

Another restaurant - this time in Jomtien Complex - I'd rather not mention the name, but many of you will probably know where I am talking about when I say the owner had a few - to put it politely - personality issues. You might recall potatoes were served in a separate container. A group of friends was eating and the owner came by and noticed one of the potato containers remained untouched. He asked, "Are you eating those?" The answer was no. "Oh good, I need them for another table" and off they went and he actually served them to another customer. If he had done that to me and served me food taken off someone else's table, he would have found that food in his face.

RichLB and I were eating at a seafood restaurant - one of the ones way down Jomtien Beach Road. It was open air and an especially hot evening. At least we had a fan cooling us down. Then the waiter came over, turned off the fan, and unplugged it. When we asked what he was doing he said, "I need for other table." We made it instantly clear that we need it too and it better get re-plugged and turned on again - immediately.

But my all time favorite Pattaya restaurant story is a Richard Burk story. Many of you probably remember Richard, who used to own the Amor Restaurant in Boyztown - and just about anyone who knew Richard also knew there was no shortage of Richard Burk stories.

I was sitting at Dongtan Beach when my phone rang and it was Richard. Some of you may remember Microsoft's infamous Service Pack 2 that ended up crashing a lot of computers. It crashed Richard's. He was panicking because he had all his business records on his computer, no backup, and after installing the service pack, now he couldn't even get his computer to open, much less access his business files. He pleaded with me to come over to his condo right away and help him. He knew I'm pretty good with computer problems and he wanted to avoid having to pay for a technician if I could manage to fix the problem for him.

I did go, and it's a trek from the beach to where Richard's condo was. If you know where the Alcazar Show, PIC Hospital, and the Beach Road police station are, that's all very close to where Richard lived.

I worked on his computer for a solid 3 hours and I was finally able to get it working and restore access to his files. Richard was very grateful and said I truly saved him. Then he said, "I notice you haven't been to the Amor lately."

I said, "That's true. Your restaurant isn't exactly the most inexpensive in town and I'm having a rough time financially this month."

Richard said, "Did you drive your car to get here?" I said yes. Then he said, "When you finish, I'd like you to drive me over to the Amor and have dinner."

I said, "Thank you, Richard. That's very kind of you."

I drove him to the restaurant and ordered dinner. After it was served Richard came over to my table and presented me with a bill!!!

I looked at him as if he had lost his mind. Before I could get a word out, Richard said, "I know you said you're having money problems this month. Don't worry about it. You can pay this bill next month when your money comes in."

True story.

THAT was Richard. And I'll bet anyone reading this who knew Richard isn't the least bit surprised . . .