Bangkok Bank mini branch - Big-C Extra Pattaya - closed

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Bangkok Bank mini branch - Big-C Extra Pattaya - closed

Post by Gaybutton »

I was in Big-C Extra and this is what I saw at the Bangkok Bank mini branch location:

Even the ATMs are behind the wall.

There is no sign telling what is going on, so I can only guess. I think they may be making renovations, although I never thought anything was wrong with it. They may be converting it to a standard branch rather than a mini branch, but it doesn't seem to me it is large enough and room enough to do that.

Whatever is going on, I think it is probably temporary. I doubt Bangkok Bank would want to close down entirely at a highly popular shopping center.

One other little thing: On that entire wall, I saw no kind of entrance door for workers. Maybe I missed it, but I don't know how anyone is getting in or out.

If anyone finds out what the story is, please post.
Jun

Re: Bangkok Bank mini branch - Big-C Extra Pattaya - closed

Post by Jun »

In many countries, the number of bank branches is reducing, as people do their banking online. In the UK, some of the major banks have no branches left in some towns.

From what I have read in the Bangkok Post in the last couple of years, something similar is occurring in Thailand. Although at a slower rate, possibly due to backward paper based banking processes.
Whether an individual branch closure is temporary or just a continuation of this trend, I have no idea.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

What about ATMs? You always compare what goes on in Thailand with what goes on in the UK, which is fine, but I don't see that as relevant.

At this branch they even closed off the ATMs and in Thailand people still need cash. Also, at Big-C Extra there are both Krungsri and K-Bank branches. Both are full branches and show no signs of closing. I have no idea what Bangkok Bank is up to at that location or whether they're doing the same thing at other mini branches too. I haven't been anywhere else that has Bangkok Bank mini branches.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:10 pm What about ATMs? You always compare what goes on in Thailand with what goes on in the UK, which is fine, but I don't see that as relevant.
I compare with the UK, since I know it and technology led trends one country are often happening simultaneously in many other countries.
In the case of bank branches, the Bangkok Bank closed over 10% of its' branches in 2021. https://www.nationthailand.com/business/40014873
Not unlike the UK (& probably many other countries).
Sometimes I've also added in comparisons with other countries, such as Cambodia, just to bring a little more relevance.

Since you have asked about ATMs, I'm going to bring in one more comparison with the UK. There has been a massive decline in cash payments in the UK, due to the use of contactless payment cards. As far as I can see, exactly the same thing is happening in every other European country I've been to in the last 5 years. I don't really like it, but that's the way it is.

Now Thailand seems to have a far more diverse range of contactless payment options, with QR codes and all sorts of nonsense. Like in Europe, the cashless market share is increasing, therefore reducing the need for cash and ATMs.
Most of these Asian methods are clunkier and slower than the contactless payments, which may explain the slower adoption rate. However, my last Kasikorn ATM card was also equipped for contactless payment, so that might accelerate this trend.

I expect resistance in certain areas, as not everyone will want bribes or tips paid to prostitutes becoming traceable.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:24 pm Most of these Asian methods are clunkier and slower
I can for sure agree with that. Things like motorbike taxis, pushcart vendors, mom-and-pop shops, beach massages, etc, which constitutes most of Thailand, are not equipped for anything but cash. It is hard for me to imagine they ever will be.

Another fun thing about cashless purchases, which in Thailand is usually done with a method called Prompt Pay, is the fact that to use it, you have to have a smartphone, online banking, and an internet connection. That's fine. When it comes time to pay, you open your online bank account, scan the QR code provided by the merchant, key in the amount to be paid, enter your password, click "submit', and show the online receipt to the cashier to prove you successfully paid.

What adds to the enjoyment is when you go to a grocery store, go to check out with a full cart of groceries, open your online banking to pay, and then it doesn't work. I've had it happen to me and I've been in lines when it happens to someone ahead of me. Then it gets really fun when you realize you didn't bring enough cash to cover the bill . . .

As far as I'm concerned you can have all this modern technology until it can be taken for granted it will always work and until they make the system much quicker and easier to use. I don't see the system as "user friendly" just yet - especially when using the system takes much longer than just paying cash.

Oh well, if everything eventually goes cashless, at least the pickpockets won't have much to pick.