Bangkok Pride parade - first in 16 years

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Bangkok Pride parade - first in 16 years

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:21 pm So, there you have it, it was all my fault for not putting out an advance notice.
Even if you could have, I'm glad you didn't. I just don't think we would have been made to feel welcome.

Besides, knowing they are having a parade is one thing. Knowing where they're having it is another.

I believe the fact that very few farang knew about it was intentional. If we ever find out why, does anyone other than me think whatever the reason was, it will be about as convoluted as it gets?

I could be totally wrong, but I can't help but think this whole thing qualifies as the next item on my "I Don't Get It" list.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Elsewhere this happen: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/06/06/t ... e-protest/

If the riot police shows up it guarantees a violent riot. Bangkok Pride was peaceful and not attacked by the government or any special interest groups.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Trongpai wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:14 pm If the riot police shows up it guarantees a violent riot. Bangkok Pride was peaceful and not attacked by the government or any special interest groups.
By pure luck, I once saw a gay parade in Brno, Czech republic. The gay group started marching down the main street. A large group of thugs started walking towards them. The riot police marched out of a side street and moved the thugs on, so the parade carried on unimpeded.

Sometimes the riot police actually help. A lot depends on the type of government a country has. In most central and western European countries, the police would do nothing other than ensure safety at such parades.
In countries like Turkey that are sliding towards a dictatorship with an element of religious ideology, the police will be more of a nuisance.